At the End of the World what would you...

SAO LILDOOP

What would you miss the most from you're everyday life if you lived in a post-apocalyptic world without any of the fun things you like to do daily (e.g. text, listen to music, etc.)?

I can do without most things.  I spend a lot of time on computers but I'm older than both the Internet and PCs so I can remember a time without.  Our family didn't even have a TV until my dad built one from heathkit.  (It was color & I  remember him rushing to get it done in time for the first color Miss America broadcast. :D ) IIRC I did a lot of reading back then.  I'd love to have a chance to try that again without all the modern-day distractions.

time_enough_at_last.jpg.670c0f5cd1beef5bc73868d79cb96657.jpg

If you're talking about being bombed back to the stone age by asteroids or the Russians or aliens then I think the question is irrelevant since we'd be dead or too busy surviving to worry about such things.  Anything less & there will be computers and networking for me to work with.  The Internet itself was designed to survive damage from a nuclear war after all, and my electronics parts bin in the garage is metal - aka a Faraday cage - so I'm set there.  My major in college was electrical engineering so if I have the parts I can build computers or electronics gizmos from scratch if necessary.  Literally.  One of our class projects back then was to build a computer completely out of NAND gates.  (I even know how to build a NAND gate out of transistors.)  Tedious for sure, but possible.

I doubt it'll come to that however.  I have at least 2 Raspberry Pis, dozens of Atmel AVR microcontroller chips, quite a few Arduinos, an old laptop that I use for programming them, and large numbers of other assorted component-level electrical bits out there as well.  There's also a couple/few computers-worth of parts in my old/spare PC parts bin .. old motherboards, assorted PCI cards, etc.  One of my hobbies since my "tweener" years was buying surplused old circuit boards, desoldering the parts, and building new electronics gadgets out of those scavenged parts that tested good.  In any post-apocalyptic scenario I'll probably wind up being that weird old tech dude with the half-working robot working out of a tiny office/lab/shop in the shady part of town.  :)

The only thing I can think of that I'd definitely miss would be levothyroxine, since I'm missing a thyroid gland.  Not exactly in the "fun" category but that's the only thing I can think of offhand.  Kind of complicates my leaving-for-mars ambitions as well.

6 hours ago, Brandonn said:

probably music,

I guess I too will miss being able to stream everything on-demand from services like Apple, Spotify, Crunchy, or Amazon if the 'Net goes out.   At least until the servers come back and the network gets rebuilt.  (If it even needs it given services like Starlink getting built out these days.)  But even if the 'net goes out and doesn't come back your player should still work for mp3s and such if you have local files and can charge it.

Personally I never trusted "the cloud" in the first place.  Stuff tends to disappear from streaming sites even now, pre-apocalypse.  Anything I really like I've always bought so I'll still be able to watch or listen to quite a lot of stuff, even if I have to build my own player.  I've got a whole bookshelf full of music CDs, and every time I get one the first thing I do is rip it to mp3s.  Same with video.. I have tons animes and movies on DVD, all of which I've ripped and put on my Plex server (Synology NAS FTW) and backed up to flash off-line.  As long as I have access to power then access to my music/video library should also not be an issue.  And I've got solar panels on my roof so...

Edited by efaardvark

I'd miss indoor plumbing. That's always ranked at the top of my list.

Fun things though? Not sure.  I'm kind of woods crafty, and my work life leaves no room for enjoyment in life anymore... probably scuba diving. I'm not much of a breathhold diver and it is one of the few things I still get to enjoy from time to time.

• Cool (Kakkoii) 1

23 hours ago, Beocat said:

indoor plumbing

I asked my grandparents A similar question once & they said the same thing.  Hot and cold - and potable! - running water, indoors, just by turning a lever was basically right up there with fire according to them.  No more hauling water from the creek or pumping from a well for cooking, washing, or bathing.  No more outhouses.  Baths whenever you felt like it...

5 hours ago, efaardvark said:

I asked my grandparents A similar question once & they said the same thing.  Hot and cold - and potable! - running water, indoors, just by turning a lever was basically right up there with fire according to them.  No more hauling water from the creek or pumping from a well for cooking, washing, or bathing.  No more outhouses.  Baths whenever you felt like it...

Haha, my grandfather had a similar story. Once we were out by the mill and the river place and since we were in the area were going to drop by great grandma's house. Grandpa was with us and while great grandma was getting ready for visitors (she was napping when we arrived) grandpa told us all about the first day they set foot in the house. It had just been built on the farm and his parents were going room to room to inspect but he stood there in the bathroom door for a good 15 minutes just thinking about how he was never again going to have to walk outside in the cold freezing air to use the outhouse in the middle of the night...how that seat was going to be the same temperature as the house...no swatting at mosquitos in the summer everytime you had the urge....how wonderful his life was going to be from there on out. Life changing I tell you.

He became a plumber later in life. Took up the trade while courting my grandmother but it may have been destiny :) I actually come from a family of plumbers. I cannot imagine a happy world without indoor plumbing and I do not understand the allure of camping.