What are some of your favorite anime inspired shows?

RepentantSky

I was just watching Code Lyoko and Legend of Korra yesterday, and I thought it would be interesting to talk about shows that are anime inspired. Obviously, Avatar, is a North American product with heavy anime influence, and for those that may not have heard of it, Code Lyoko is a French made TV show that had 4 original seasons, and years later came back with a 5th season that ended on a cliffhanger after it's creators filed for bankruptcy. 

I really like Avatar and Lyoko, but I also want to talk about any other anime inspired shows, so you know, feel free to suggest some and otherwise talk about what anime-like shows you've enjoyed over the years. 

• Like 1

On 11/17/2020 at 8:49 AM, Ohayotaku said:

Not scheduled till later this month, but Onyx Equinox looks interesting

This honestly looks like Avatar meets Princess Mononoke to me. I really like it. I'm gonna have to check it out.  

4 minutes ago, Geano said:

For me Last air bender along with Legend of Korra definitely take the cake. Though with tthat said Ben 10 disclosing Omiverse of course is close second.

I haven't watched a lot of Ben 10 to be honest outside of some clips here or there. I ought to give it a shot soon. 

• Like 1

For an obscure one from the past, there’s Cybersix, which was based on a Argentine comicbook, animated in Japan and directed/produced in Canada 

One of the things that stood out from other “cartoons” was the title character’s superhero persona was female but posed as a male school teacher as her alter ego. Believe it or not it actually aired on Fox Kids 😂

• Love it! (Daisuki) 1

18 hours ago, RepentantSky said:

I haven't watched a lot of Ben 10 to be honest outside of some clips here or there. I ought to give it a shot soon. 

I can assure you the first three series are well worth it if science fiction is your thing.

Another one that comes to mind, and I know this is a bit odd, but I honestly do think of of a lot of anime fans when I think of this show. MLP FIM honestly attracted a lot of anime fans once upon a time myself included. While I am not really into it anymore I do understand it is likely one of the best western animation series of recent years which from my perspective is saying a lot as I am hyper coital of western animation.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Geano said:

MLP FIM honestly attracted a lot of anime fans once upon a time myself included

Ditto. On the anime forum I hung out on before finding this one there was a very active discussion thread through the first 2 seasons, but it died out during season 3. I personally felt the first 2 seasons were the best when it came to being consistently entertaining. Season 3 was cut short & just felt lacking overall. Season 4 had some f’n cool episodes (introduction of Maud & the reboot version of Tirek), but had some of the weakest episodes too. Thereafter it seemed to lose it’s spark for me. To this day I’ve yet to finish the 2nd half of the final season. 
I didn’t personally feel much of an anime  connection though, with the exception of these references from season 5image.thumb.png.038c1e132078c6190348e22a3a7e1d6e.png

and parts of the fight between Twilight & Tirek in season 4’s finale felt like something out of DBZ 😂

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Ohayotaku said:

Ditto. On the anime forum I hung out on before finding this one there was a very active discussion thread through the first 2 seasons, but it died out during season 3. I personally felt the first 2 seasons were the best when it came to being consistently entertaining. Season 3 was cut short & just felt lacking overall. Season 4 had some f’n cool episodes (introduction of Maud & the reboot version of Tirek), but had some of the weakest episodes too. Thereafter it seemed to lose it’s spark for me. To this day I’ve yet to finish the 2nd half of the final season. 
I didn’t personally feel much of an anime  connection though, with the exception of these references from season 5

and parts of the fight between Twilight & Tirek in season 4’s finale felt like something out of DBZ 😂

Definitely agree with you on that. Season 2 was the pinnacle of the show. The wedding special was very good too though seemed to go down hill pretty far after that. Though it really was Hasbro that took to much control, and just ended up marketing it the wrong way. I understand it was supposed to be a early childhood show, but it clearly evolved into something much more then that given the fandom around it alone.

On 11/19/2020 at 6:58 AM, Ohayotaku said:

For an obscure one from the past, there’s Cybersix, which was based on a Argentine comicbook, animated in Japan and directed/produced in Canada 

One of the things that stood out from other “cartoons” was the title character’s superhero persona was female but posed as a male school teacher as her alter ego. Believe it or not it actually aired on Fox Kids 😂

Cybersix, a true classic. I was so glad for the rerelease. It was rather well written. 

The Dragon Prince really is very well animated (reminds me of anime) and has a great story too. I actually enjoy The Dragon Prince far more than Avatar.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Beocat said:

The Dragon Prince really is very well animated (reminds me of anime) and has a great story too. I actually enjoy The Dragon Prince far more than Avatar.

On my PTW list

Maybe its not a big part of the show but I liked the inclusion of Peni Parker in Into the Spider-Verse. Her exaggerated visual and character tropes were perfect for what the movie was going for. I'm sure there were more subtle nods to anime in Spiderverse, given how influential Japanese animation has been on the world in general, but I need to re-watch it.

• Like 1

Code Lyoko, Avatar The Last Air Bender, Witchblade (American anime that aired in Japan first but was actually made right in America. The small group of creators were originally employed by Marvel but due to the fact that they were not allowed to express their own ideas they left Marvel in order to form a new studio called Top Cow Productions), and much more recently Castlevania

On 11/23/2020 at 3:37 AM, Wedgy said:

The animation style took some getting used to on my part, but it certainly grew on me. That whole series is just delightful and the fact it's totally PG and still manages to be inclusive is super refreshing. 

Going to have to agree, I like it far better than Avatar.

I think I heard the rest of the eight chapter series has been fully greenlighted by Netflix so I'm super excited for it to be coming out!

On 11/24/2020 at 8:45 PM, Ohayotaku said:

Especially the final season

Especially episode 45 and 46. I actually bought the series for that. ;)

9 hours ago, Beocat said:

Especially episode 45 and 46. I actually bought the series for that. ;)

Gotta love The Scotsman 😂

Edited by Ohayotaku