2020: The Year in Anime

Ohayotaku

While I’m aware that most members who post here prefer to binge series rather than watch them as they air, I’m hoping they’ve watched at least some of this year’s offerings & are willing to share their thoughts either on specific series or the current state of anime in general. 

Of course with Covid, a lot of the big name sequels wound up being delayed. Attack on Titan’s final season is scheduled to begin December 6th/7th, but many others are scheduled for January (The Promised Neverland, Reincarnated as a Slime, Dr. Stone for example)

Even so I still found a number of series I enjoyed this year. Once the year is officially over, I’ll probably post a personal Top 10 along with some honorable mentions as well as some disappointments. As a bit of a preview, sone titles that will definitely make my list include:

Fruits Basket (2019) 2nd season

Jujutsu Kaisen

Golden Kamuy season 3

Dorohedoro

Science Fell in Love, so I Tried to Prove It

So, what are some other folks thoughts? Please share :) 

Edited by Ohayotaku

2020 for anime. Sheesh, where to begin...
So, I'll start with some of the good stuff.

My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU Season 3 began this year, and has finally concluded the anime.
I'm sad it ended still, obviously, but after so long, it's good to see its end. I haven't seen it yet (.-.) but I'm planning to.
It actually concluded a while back, but whatever.

The second(?) season of The Irregular at Magic High School is currently airing.
TIAMHS - Visitor's Arc has been airing for some time, but it still is, so I'm happy.

And finally, Kyuukyoku Shinka Shita Full Dive RPG ga Genjitsu Yori mo Kusoge Dattara has gotten an anime adaption.
I have never heard of this, but it seems interesting.

Now, here is... the big bad.

Fisherman Sanpei author Takao Yaguichi has passed away on November 20th of this year...

Despite this happening last year, the Kyoto Studio fires...

Bad news in the anime industry happens all the time. We have to look out for everyone. Along with that, we have to appreciate what we have. Not just the anime and manga, but the industries and the authors that write them for us.
Thank you to all of you.

46 minutes ago, Wedgy said:

At least I can say the one I was able to watch faithfully was a gosh darn good one

Yeah, that ones got Anime of the Year locked in for me.

• 4 weeks later...

ANN has a poll up where you can vote for your favorite 5 anime from 2020 for anyone interested in participating (no account is required).

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/survey/895/

Four were no-brainers for me, but struggling to decide who to give my final vote to :P 

I’ll make a post about my personal favorites here the next week or so.

Edited by Ohayotaku
  • Like 1

There was a new Ghost in the Shell this year and I missed it??  Man I gotta stop working so much.

A (maybe too) quick check of the usual suspects shows that it doesn't appear to be streaming anywhere however.  Anyone know where to find it?  Legally I mean.

4 minutes ago, efaardvark said:

There was a new Ghost in the Shell this year and I missed it??  Man I gotta stop working so much.

A (maybe too) quick check of the usual suspects shows that it doesn't appear to be streaming anywhere however.  Anyone know where to find it?  Legally I mean.

Netfix. Sadly it was CGI & very disappointing IMO

• Like 1

20 hours ago, efaardvark said:

CGI??  Oh no!  CGI in anime is like jeans on a hooker.  :D 

Did I say that?  🤔

Not all CGI is bad....just most all of it is! Hehe, I didn't watch the trailer but the snapshot on the front of the video looks like a cheap video game...imho anyways. 

• Agree 1

(should go without saying , but IMHO)

BEST OF 2020

1. Fruits Basket 2nd Season

2. Jujutsu Kaisen

3. Golden Kamuy season 3

4. My Hero Academia: Heroes Rising

5. Dorohedoro

6. ReZero season 2 pt 1

7. Welcome to Demon School, Iruma-kun (2nd couer)

8. Science Fell in Love, so I Tried to Prove it

9. Deca-Dence

10. In/Spectre

HONORABLE MENTIONS

11. Gleipnir

12. Akudama Drive

13. Aggretsuko Season 3

14. Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken

15. Diary of Our Days at the Breakwater

DISAPPOINTMENTS

1. My Hero Academia season 4

2. Room (Heya) Camp

3. Ascendence of a Bookworm season 2

4. Magia Record

5. Yashahime

Edited by Ohayotaku

Didn't watch much of of this year since I watched some older stuff but the one's that I watched and that stuck out to me not in a specific order:

Your Hands Of Eizouken was amazing, definitly my favourite of this year

Kakushigoto was hilarious and oddly wholesome, even though it doesn't try to be.

ReZero 2nd Season was disturbing in a good way. One of the more classical Isekai that I enjoyed, especially since I didn't like the end of the 1st season

Otome Game something different but really good. I like the ending partly because it actually feels like it's done. Though the light novels still go one...

Ascendance of a Bookworm was good but not as good as the second season. But might still be my fav. isekai.

Deca-Dence is kind of hard to categorize. I enjoyed it a lot but everything kind of got messy in the second half.

Sing Yesterday was .... oddly relatable... I didn't want to but I could relate to the main character

I watched a couple more like Kaguya (which was fun, but not like the 1st season) but overall I think I've watched everything I'd probably enjoy except Jujutsu Kaisen. Might get around watching that soon.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

CR has opened voting for it’s “official” anime awards for last year’s series for anyone interested.

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2021/01/15/anime-awards-voting-is-open-meet-this-years-nominees

On 12/29/2020 at 2:54 PM, efaardvark said:

CGI??  Oh no!  CGI in anime is like jeans on a hooker.  :D 

Did I say that?  🤔

On 12/30/2020 at 11:48 AM, Beocat said:

Not all CGI is bad....just most all of it is! Hehe, I didn't watch the trailer but the snapshot on the front of the video looks like a cheap video game...imho anyways. 

Somewhat off topic, but for a good example of bad CGI, try to make it through the first episode of Ex-Arm. And CR actually claims this cringe fest as one if it’s “Originals” 😬

Edited by Ohayotaku