Winter 2021 Season Anticipation

Ohayotaku

We are now less than a month a way from a new season of anime :D

https://www.livechart.me/winter-2021/tv

Most of the highly anticipated titles will probably be sequels as the industry tries to reduce the 2020/Covid backlog, but there are some interesting looking new series as well. 

For me:

So, what are other folks looking forward to? Please share

Edited by Ohayotaku

And Crunchyroll has followed suit

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2020/12/22-1/crunchyroll-announces-winter-2021-anime-lineup?utm_source=editorial_cr&utm_medium=top-bar&utm_campaign=q1-2021_en&referrer=editorial_cr_top-bar_q1-2021_c

Of course the buyout of CR  by Funi is all but a done deal unless the FTC steps in. But looks like things remain separate for now anyway.

Umamusume gets a second season but still no SF?   :( I can make do with re:zero and reincarnated slime though.  Dr. Stone wound up kinda "meh" for me but I'll probably watch the second season anyway.  I like Nadeshiko from laid-back camp too.  👍 

• Like 1

@efaardvark ah, I was trying to think of a specific series title 😅 Yeah, they’re hard to come by, especially the at least feasibly realistic ones you enjoy. Schedule is pretty well saturated with isekai, shonen & moe 😂

I know for sure I am watching AOT, quintuplets and slime. 

I did see some others that do look interesting. I will have to do some research. I look forward to this upcoming season. I didn't watch much this fall. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Beocat said:

The only one I'm looking forward to is Log Horizon Season 3. I've been waiting for this season for what feels like forever. 

I need to binge some this weekend since I’m still fairly early into season 1 :P Fortunately the new season doesn’t start till 01/13/2021

• Friendly 1

There’s a new recap episode up for Reincarnated as a Slime in preparation for the new season next week. I actually thought it was pretty well done because there was a lot of emphasis on Rimuru’s connection with Shizu since a former apprentice of hers will apparently be an important character in season 2.

Edited by Ohayotaku

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/24/2020 at 1:52 AM, efaardvark said:

Dr. Stone wound up kinda "meh" for me but I'll probably watch the second season anyway.

Yeah , for a series where intelligence is supposed to be key, there are times when it can come across as pretty dumb :P  Of the various sequel premiere episodes, I found it to be the most disappointing. But if season 1 is any indication, I’ll still find enough to enjoy to keep watching.

• 3 weeks later...

Some observations now that we’re a month into the season: 

UNDER THE RADAR (series that look promising but not getting a lot of attention):  Wondet Egg Priority - this one has something of a Puella Magi Madoka Magica vibe to it as it has girls using magical abilities to fight against surreal manifestations of real life traumas like bullying, abuse & gender expectations. A word of warning, suicide is a central element of the story & it can be uncomfortable to watch at times, but there’s nothing visually graphic and it gives the impression of making a legitimate attempt to address some heavy topics instead of just for shock value or exploitation. Kemono Jihen - while it has some shonen traits, this series about adolescents whose parentage are half-human & half-yokai gives the impression that it will be address some more serious/darker topics, though not on the level of Jujutsu Kaisen. Not really part of or accepted of either the human or supernatural worlds, they’re called on to resolve matters where the two come into conflict. And the guardian of the MCs while not “bad” does seem like he has his own agenda & is willing to put them in dangerous situations..

UNDER-PERFORMERS (series that don’t seem to be measuring up to expectations): The Promised Neverland Season 2 - while still decent, even as someone who has not read the manga, it has felt rushed and that a lot of situations have been resolved too easily. Comments from the fandom indicate that a lot of the source material has been abbreviated or skipped over entirely. I consider this a shame in that what I was really looking forward to was some indepth world building now that the story has moved beyond the orphanage, but instead it seems like they are rushing to a conclusion. So I’m a Spidet, so What? - while it might seem unrealistic to expect much from yet another isekai series, the comments I’d seen on the source material have been generally positive and it did seem to be one of the more hyped titles that wasn’t a sequel. Unfortunately, your impression of the series will likely hinge on whether you find the MC’s frenetic improv monologues funny/endearing or annoying. While I’ll admit to a certain admiration for the voice actress’ performance (she’s also Tsuyu from MHA & the title character in Saga of Tanya the Evil), it still grates on my nerves similar to Excel Saga. While there are also sone human characters, there involvement has been minimal to thus point. And there’s the CGI. Some of it hasn’t been bad, but the most recent episode made me facepalm. Even after all these years, attempts to use CGI for hair or fur still looks awful more often then not. Again not a terrible series, but definitely disappointing IMO. 

Finally, I’ve decided to wait & binge watch Re:Zero S2 Pt2 & Attack on Titan Final season instead of trying to follow them weekly due to the complexity of the stories.

Edited by Ohayotaku

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...