Did you ever consider to stop watching anime, because..

eCapter

Hey there,

so what I wanted to ask is whether anybody ever did consider to stop watching anime, because the more you watch, the less special / meaningful the individual anime becomes and to prevent certain shows, that are very important to you, from becoming meaningless in retrospect and just submerge into the mass, the only solution would be not to consume any more. I have so many anime on my list, that I think by the time I have watched most of them, there would be just too much in my head to actually be able to still care for individual characters. Since they became just one of too many. Does anybody feel like that too?

Not at all. I started watching anime approximately 40 years ago even though I wasn’t familiar with the term back then. I still feel a special connection to older series like Star Blazers, Robotech, Cowboy Bebop & Azumanga Daioh. But continue to find new series that really stand out like Vinland Saga & remakes like Fruits Basket. The types of anime I watch now are much more varied than when I was younger & I don’t think I would appreciate many of them as much if I had watched them at an earlier stage of my life. With such a diversity of genres, I  personally don’t see myself ever getting bored of anime.
Having said that, I do seem to burn out when a series drags on for too long (One Piece & Hunter x Hunter come to mind). And there are cases where trying to revive a series actually seemed to cheapen it (Cardcaptor Sakura & Inuyasha for example).

Edited by Ohayotaku

No.  Next question?  :D  

But seriously, no.  I’ve read books all my life too.  There’s always a new story, or at least a different take on an old one.  The classics are still (re)readable.  Favorites are still favorites.  New favorites get added to the list occasionally.  

I’m 56.  I’ve been watching anime since before Star Blazers and Speed Racer.  (The originals.)   If it hasn’t happened by now then I kind of doubt I’ll ever reach the end of anime.  Or books.

Nah, I refuse to stop watching anime for any reason (honestly though, I have slowed down a bit after my school years due to being so dang busy). It's one thing I'll never give up (along with video games). I guess it's kind of part of who I am. If I stop for whatever reason I don't know what I'll do, lol.

• Agree 1

But dont you feel like it is just too much? If I find a show I really like, I somehow want to keep it in my head, but if I watch too much that is just not possible and it feels liek everything then becomes mundane and meaningless

12 hours ago, eCapter said:

But dont you feel like it is just too much? If I find a show I really like, I somehow want to keep it in my head, but if I watch too much that is just not possible and it feels liek everything then becomes mundane and meaningless

Not really.  I mean there's the what I call "million monkeys syndrome" to deal with of course.  I only have two eyes, two ears, and two hands (to manipulate the mouse and keyboard) so there's a limit to what I can take in, yet there's a million monkeys out there producing content.  (Actually quite a few more.)  There's also Sturgeon's Law, which basically says that not everything is worth it.  That must still be waded through and filtered.  I have other commitments and responsibilities that take priority.  I take time to smell the roses as I run past.  I marvel (and sometimes cringe) at what else is going on in the world.  I don't even try to watch/read/listen to -everything-.  There IS too much for that.  But all that said, I do watch what I can when I can.  As entertainment goes anime does have fairly high priority with me, and I don't have nearly as much free time to watch anime as I'd like.  Part of the reason I'm even here is to try to catch a whiff of cool anime that I might have missed.  Maybe I just don't watch enough to get that jaded feeling.  At any rate, so far that hasn't been a problem.

• 1 month later...
On 1/19/2021 at 8:28 PM, eCapter said:

Hey there,

so what I wanted to ask is whether anybody ever did consider to stop watching anime, because the more you watch, the less special / meaningful the individual anime becomes and to prevent certain shows, that are very important to you, from becoming meaningless in retrospect and just submerge into the mass, the only solution would be not to consume any more. I have so many anime on my list, that I think by the time I have watched most of them, there would be just too much in my head to actually be able to still care for individual characters. Since they became just one of too many. Does anybody feel like that too?

For me, yes is the answer, sometime I just have to take a step back and watch some normal stuff on tv or netflix etc. It might mean I take longer to get through my list however, it does allow me, I think, to enjoy the anime more. Im not really sure why maybe because I look forward to it.

Also on that I am currently watching 7 anime's and reading 2 light novels.......they sometime blur into one so I really have to dial it back a little bit or wait till they have finished and binge the whole series 🙂