Spring 2021 Anime Anticipation

Ohayotaku

Hard to believe we’re only about a month away from the roster of new series

https://www.livechart.me/spring-2021/tv

Ironically the ones I’m most hyped for are all continuations or reboots. Of course if you read my posts last year it should come as no surprise that the finale of the Fruits Basket adaption is at the top of my list. I was disappointed in season 4 of My Hero Academia but enjoyed Heroes Rising, so holding onto hope for season 5 (if nothing else the action sequences in the  latest trailer looked kickass).  I’m curious about the Shaman King reboot (saw a couple episodes of the old Fox 4 Kids version back in the day and thought it looked like it had potential). Definitely looking forward to the continuations of Welcome to Demon School Iruma-kun, Zombieland Saga & Moriarity the Patriot. Not really impressed by the trailers for SSSS.Dynazenon, but SSSS.Gridman turned out better than I expected. Kinda skeptical of Megalobox Nomad & the previous season of How NOT to Summon a Demon Lord was too ecchi for my taste, but will probably give them a look. Not sure what to make of Edens Zero which has some sort of a connection to Fairy Tail but in a scifi setting apparently. And I have no idea why they’re making a new Battle Athletes, but what the heck.

As far as the new stuff, ones I’m curious about are Shadow’s House, Mars Red & To Your Eternity. Combatants Will be Dispatched is from the writer of Konosuba & I’ve Been Killing Slimes for 300 Years looks to be the latest of the recent laidback isekai trend.

Anyway, is there anything other members are looking forward to or any thoughts on the direction anime seems to be headed in?

Edited by Ohayotaku
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

CR & Funi posted their lineups (pages should be updated with new licenses as they’re announced)

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2021/03/24/crunchyroll-announces-spring-2021-anime-lineup

https://www.funimation.com/blog/2021/03/23/spring-2021-anime-fruits-basket-megalobox-hetalia-world-ends-with-you/

I’m pretty sure Shaman King, Edens Zero & the new Godzilla will all be Netflix exclusives.

Edited by Ohayotaku

I haven't fully done my research yet but I know for sure I will be watching Hero and Nagatoro. I need to catch up on fruits basket and give zombieland saga a try as well.

I might even try shaman king. To be honest I didn't watch it as a kid but I knew it was popular. Maybe it will give me some late 90's early 00's nostalgia.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Impressions a month in:

Emotional Heavy Hitters - Fruits Basket Final; Megalobox Nomad

Intriguing - Shadows House; 86; Odd Taxi; Moriarty the Patriot; Blue Reflector Ray

Fun - Welcome to Demon School Iruma S2; Zombieland Saga Revenge; Dragon Goes Househunting; Mini Dragon (Dragon Maid shorts); The Slime Diaries; Pretty Cure Tropical Rouge

Action & Humor - My Hero Academia S5; SSS.Dynazenon

Relaxing - The Saints Magic Power is Omnipotent; Super Cub

Guilty Pleasures - Combatants Will be Dispatched; Don’t Toy With Me Nagatoro-chan; Fulldive RPG

Will Probably Binge Finish Later - Tokyo Revengers; To Your Eternity

Ehh … - So I’m a Spider, So What; Vivy Fluorite Eye’s Song; Maxed out my Level by Killing Slimes

Edited by Ohayotaku
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Ohayotaku said:

Impressions a month in:

Emotional Heavy Hitters - Fruits Basket Final; Megalobox Nomad

Intriguing - Shadows House; 86; Odd Taxi; Moriarty the Patriot; Blue Reflector Ray

Fun - Welcome to Demon School Iruma S2; Zombieland Saga Revenge; Dragon Goes Househunting; Mini Dragon (Dragon Maid shorts); The Slime Diaries; Pretty Cure Tropical Rouge

Action & Humor - My Hero Academia S5; SSS.Dynazenon

Relaxing - The Saints Magic Power is Omnipotent; Super Cub

Guilty Pleasures - Combatants Will be Dispatched; Don’t Toy With Me Nagatoro-chan; Fulldive RPG

Will Probably Binge Finish Later - Tokyo Revengers; To Your Eternity

Ehh … - So I’m a Spider, So What; Vivy Fluorite Eye’s Song; Maxed out my Level by Killing Slimes

How is SSS.Dynazenon? Is it anything like Gridman?

1 hour ago, mechaBD said:

How is SSS.Dynazenon? Is it anything like Gridman?

Not as good IMO. The mystery of what’s actually going on isn’t as compelling & the character’s aren’t as appealing <spoiler applies to Gridman>

of course it’s hard to top a highschool meganekko who creates kaijus to relieve her boredom & eliminate people who annoy her:P [/spoiler]

It’still decent though as a tribute to tokusatsu shows & has Trigger’s penchant for humor & visual flare.

I’m certain to check out Shaman King later, though I don’t have a Netflix account right now (CR & Funi are keeping me more than occupied).

3 hours ago, Wedgy said:

Nothing else there especially catches my attention. The long titles are a huge turn-away for me.

I seem to remember you liking My Next Life as a Villainess, All Roads lead to Doom (apologies if it was someone else here) :P 

Edited by Ohayotaku
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Wedgy said:

I have never even heard of that, you must have the wrong shrimp!

It was Beocat, so different Mod. Sorry.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My favorites of the Spring 2021 season (unranked except Fruits Basket since it’s hard to compare series with different objectives & Shadows House still has 1 episode left to air)

1.  Fruits Basket: The Final

Nomad: Megalo Box 2

Shadows House

Welcome to Demon School, Iruma-kun season 2

Zombie Land Saga Revenge

Don’t Toy with me, Miss Nagatoro

Odd Taxi

My Hero Academia season 5

The Saint’s Magic Power is Omnipotent