MMO's

Mikeyboy636

Any MMO fans out there. 

I watch a lot of MMO style anime's, and what gets me is the friendship's and the overall appreciation that yes everyone is gamer and therefore people are there to have fun. I play a lot of single player RPG's and only therefore a damn good story and content.

Yet recently downloaded WOW and just could not hit play, cowardly I know. A while back I started playing GW2, played couple of hours before realising it is just a bunch of people running about with very little or no story or interaction. I just didn't fancy getting started to only get bashed by long time players and the toxicity of some of the forums is less appealing.

Maybe I view MMO's as some sort of fairy tale and have built it up in my head of how awesome they are etc. Also whenever somebody suggests multiplayer to me all they want to play is fornite or apex which is my version of boredom … sorry avid fans just not for me.

I don't know, any input from people would be greatly appreciate or just general advice. I have played most modern AAA rpg's, currently trying to work my way through DOS'2 definitive edition, which sometimes can be a touch taxing so I don't play it all day every day.

As said any input greatly appreciate, cheers!

9 hours ago, Mikeyboy636 said:

I've encountered some of the same issues, to the point that I basically don't play MMO games anymore.  At least not on public servers.  They're either boring (fortnite) or the fanbase is toxic (Star Citizen) or both.  GW2 - at least as of about a year ago - was one of the better ones, but it still had issues.  It is extremely hard to find a game that has a mature, helpful player base.  Sometimes it seems like the game producers aren't even trying to find ways to punish toxic play(ers) anymore.  I also have an additional problem with simply finding time to play that pretty much rules out most of the more "grindy" games.  Add platform incompatibilities and my own refusal to support certain companies' (like EA's or Sony's) business practices and .. that doesn't leave a lot.

Some things can help.  Competition seems to bring out the worst in people so I try to avoid PvP and stick to PvE.  Casual & socially-focused games seem better as well, in general.  That doesn't work for everyone though, and even in stuff like creative-mode minecraft there's a certain class of player that just seems to get more out of the griefing process than from playing well with others.  (That said, there's a certain appeal to the chaos of "anarchy" servers, including even such ancient and much-lambasted servers as 2b2t.  Probably an acquired taste, but if you know what you're getting into and are mentally prepared they can be entertaining in their own f-ed up way.  :) )

In general though my "solution" is to only play on private servers with trusted game-friends.  That or stick to single-player mode.  Sorry, I wish I had a better answer.  :(

• Like 1

11 hours ago, efaardvark said:

I've encountered some of the same issues, to the point that I basically don't play MMO games anymore.  At least not on public servers.  They're either boring (fortnite) or the fanbase is toxic (Star Citizen) or both.  GW2 - at least as of about a year ago - was one of the better ones, but it still had issues.  It is extremely hard to find a game that has a mature, helpful player base.  Sometimes it seems like the game producers aren't even trying to find ways to punish toxic play(ers) anymore.  I also have an additional problem with simply finding time to play that pretty much rules out most of the more "grindy" games.  Add platform incompatibilities and my own refusal to support certain companies' (like EA's or Sony's) business practices and .. that doesn't leave a lot.

Some things can help.  Competition seems to bring out the worst in people so I try to avoid PvP and stick to PvE.  Casual & socially-focused games seem better as well, in general.  That doesn't work for everyone though, and even in stuff like creative-mode minecraft there's a certain class of player that just seems to get more out of the griefing process than from playing well with others.  (That said, there's a certain appeal to the chaos of "anarchy" servers, including even such ancient and much-lambasted servers as 2b2t.  Probably an acquired taste, but if you know what you're getting into and are mentally prepared they can be entertaining in their own f-ed up way.  :) )

In general though my "solution" is to only play on private servers with trusted game-friends.  That or stick to single-player mode.  Sorry, I wish I had a better answer.  :(

Appreciate that. I shall probs stick to single player mode really. Dont have any friends who are into gaming so cant play on a specific server like that sooo we shall see. Hopefully in the future there will be some changes but who knows.

Thanks for that, honestly you have put into perspective what I had guessed. I think my issues is time honestly, I probably get some time in the evening and some time over the weekend but none of it is ever guaranteed. 

I'm interested by your comments on the way in which these games are played and I assume that unless you play an mmo on release date realistically the story is the second priority as people are trying to make their way through it to get to the end to play with the serious players.

Hmm food for thought, so thank again 🙂

• 4 weeks later...

Woah, some great insight here. I was recently looking at MMO games even though ive never been a gamer. A big hang up for me was that I'm no good at interaction with people, and i wondered what the gaming experience was like. The previous comme ts on this post were extremely informative. 

2 hours ago, 2xVEmmallee said:

Woah, some great insight here. I was recently looking at MMO games even though ive never been a gamer. A big hang up for me was that I'm no good at interaction with people, and i wondered what the gaming experience was like. The previous comme ts on this post were extremely informative. 

I hate people too.  Well, some of the time.  :D  Maybe hate is too strong a word but interacting with people is definitely not one of my strengths, and it usually tires me out quickly.  Over the years I've learned to overcome it but I'm definitely more on the introvert end of the scale.

That said, I do find that multiplayer online games can be fun.  There are a lot of games that are multiplayer-optional too.  Minecraft for instance will even let you start in single-player mode, then if you like you can open your single-player game up to other players on your local LAN.  Ultimately of course Microsoft would like you to rent yourself a "realms" server from them and play online with a bunch of your friends (even friends not on your LAN), but they make it easy to start single-player and take baby-steps toward multiplayer as you're ready.  Something like that might be good to start with.  In fact, some of my best experiences with multiplayer gaming have been in "LAN party" mode, not MMO games per-se.

I would even say stay away from most of the big-name MMO games if you're at all unsure of yourself.  Especially games like fortnite or PUBG that are highly competitive by design - arena-style "battle royale" or "last man standing" - can be quite intimidating to get into multiplayer.  They can be fun once you do get familiar with it and I'm not saying stay away forever but I wouldn't make something like that my first choice.  Unless you like learning to swim by jumping in the deep end of the pool of course.  :)  (For me they're boring too because there's no story or progression of any sort, just repetitive kill-or-be-killed on the same map(s) over and over.  But that's more a personal preference sort of thing.  Some people do enjoy that.) 

• Like 1