Any good book recommendations?

TobiGotGrenades

I'd taken a 3 yr break from reading books but have only recently started to get back into it again. Finished reading A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini, it was an excellent read. Anyone has any further recommendations? Preferably fiction, though I wouldn't mind non-fiction if it's anything like Sapiens, which was also a book I remember reading

I'm ashamed to say I haven't read much of anything this year due to lack of free time.  Except maybe web pages.  :(  When I do have any time to spare my body says, "If you have time to read then you have time to sleep!"   💤 :angry:💢

I'm more into science fiction but if that's interesting then I can recommend pretty much anything by Niven, Heinlein, or Clarke.  Iain M. Banks' "Culture" series is worth a read given what some people are naming barges these daysConsider Phlebas is first.

If you're into dystopian fiction you might try Brenner's "The Sheep Look Up".  If you're looking for something more positive and/or predictive, O'Neill's "2081" is still surprisingly relevant for something that was written over 4 decades ago.  Upbeat too, unlike a lot of stuff written back then.  Another more recent "anti-dystopian" title that might be interesting would be Kim Stanley Robinson's, "The Ministry for the Future".  (I haven't read it yet but it is on my list.)

I'll stop there.  If it is books then I can go on and on (and on and on and ...)  :D

• Like 1

I do crave reading a high fantasy that revolves around political conflict. Something like Lord of the Rings in terms of its fantasy elements but the story is more or less a civil war. Basically any Final Fantasy title or a Dungeons and Dragons campaign. The ones I randomly pick from any store is often, if not always, a fantasy adventure of a 'hero of prophesy' or a normal child dipped into a fantasy world a la Alice in Wonderland or Wizard of Oz.

21 hours ago, HansFried said:

I do crave reading a high fantasy that revolves around political conflict. Something like Lord of the Rings in terms of its fantasy elements but the story is more or less a civil war. Basically any Final Fantasy title or a Dungeons and Dragons campaign. The ones I randomly pick from any store is often, if not always, a fantasy adventure of a 'hero of prophesy' or a normal child dipped into a fantasy world a la Alice in Wonderland or Wizard of Oz.

Have you read Zelazny's Amber series?

Hambly's Darwath Trilogy is worth a read too, IMHO. 

• 1 year later...
On 4/8/2021 at 2:29 AM, HansFried said:

Tigana by Guy Gavriel Kay is wonderful and also exactly what you're describing. And the author trained under Tolkien.