Eren's charachter change AOT

BrokenSpacehog

I suppose spoilers for the newest season apply. First off, I am not talking about Eren doing morally questionable deeds like killing civilians. What I am talking about is his personality change. 

What happened to him?? He had always been so full of fire! Now seems like a depressed goth kid sitting at Denny's drinking coffee and discussing nihilism. Where is the Eren we know from the series?!

A very similar charachter shift happened in another series I kind of liked called Jyu-Oh-Sei (minor spoilers for that series ahead) I mean, compared to Attack on Titan Jyu-Oh-Sei is a pile of crap, but still. I liked it okay for the first half. But that's just it. When there was a time skip in that series the main charachter went from this feisty little Devil into a mopey, moody, lame, non-entity. I am starting to feel similarly about Eren. Is growing up equivalent to losing all assertiveness? 

Dude, I haven't seen the latest season yet, but who WOULDNT be changed by all the stuff they've been through. I think one of the cool things about the show is that it stuck out to me as different than many anime you see, where the characters are somewhat static.  I will brush up on the latest episodes before I comment more on it, but I think character change is a great thing to include in a series. Plus there is still time for them to change again. Wouldnt that be cool, if they lose touch with who they were, just to get reinvigorated later? Id like to see that. 

• Like 1

You make a fair point that he has had a lot of stressors that would have the potential to change anyone. However! I would point out that Eren had seen several comrades die earlier without losing his firey personality. Also he had been the Attack Titan for years and was still very assertive. So, it seems like he was still HIM to a large extent in spite of the stressors in previous seasons.

This season he seems very VERY different. I have had friends undergo personality changes like that, but usually it is due to a brain injury or something more than just circumstances. I suppose his age is a factor too. I don't know, I don't like it. 

Don't get me wrong, I still LOOOOOOVE the series, and this final season might be the strongest one. I haven't finished it yet though. I don't have as much of an issue with Eren doing atrocities because I think that fits the story and his charachter. His personality change though, I feel like that is not a necessary change. Just my opinion. You make good points though.

• Like 1

Well, you cannot blame him for becoming a depressed goth sad kid after all of the problems he went through, all of the people he saw eaten right in front of him... and of course to what he has discovered about his family and the titans. A heartbreaking scene that I can really remember is when he told the truth about Mikasa's family accck. Also, I do not know what to feel now that the series has ended. Indeed, it is one of the best anime series out there.