Why are so many MCS perverts in anime?

Newgroundsmoment

I think it's supposed to be funny. I must admit I've occasionally chuckled when MC's have started being pervy in a "oh, should've known" kinda way.

But hey, anime has been hijacked by the omnipresent tenticles of international capitalism, just like every other artistic medium. As long as it sells they'll keep making characters like this.

The pervert role provides some relatability and some cheap and easy comic relief. It's a running trope where the audience needs a distraction from all of the seriousness and having it mainly associate with a character is an easy trigger to pull on, whenever the writer needs it.

Do you want to hint two characters having a possible relationship? And then completely snap it back with absolutely zero progress made? Then you introduce a perverted scene.

Do you want to expand your audience? Sex sells, so introduce multiple girls. And then introduce their affection to the MC. And then constantly bait your audience into thinking there's progress, while trying to keep the status quo of MC appealing to everyone, so he cannot exclusively go after one girl.

Writers just don't want to focus on the actual dynamics of their characters. They want to focus on the surface level of what looks cute, romantic, and amazing. They want the MC to be appealable to EVERYONE, because as soon as people start hating the MC, they DROP the show.

Back in the day  I think it was more of a comic relief thing. A way for guys to laugh at that side of themsrlves & think “Hey, at least I’m not as much of a horndog as that guy”. A caricature basically. (Ataru from Urusei Yatsura comes to mind).  More often then not they got rejected, duped or the snot beat out of them (or at least slapped).
 But increasingly it seems more  like a form of fantasy fulfillment that girls secretly think (it’s a tsundere thing) that openly perverted guys are cute & it couldn’t possibly be the reason why they don’t already have a hot gf or their own harem  :P 

And as has already been noted, sex sells & not just in anime.

Edited by Ohayotaku