Do you eat Japanese food?

pathospades

I live in my room. If I wanted Japanese food, I'd have to actually leave it, and there's no way that's happening.

I feel like everyone has definitely tried Hibachi and Teriyaki steak with rice. It's hard not to; it's everywhere.

That said, when I did happen to be outside my room, I definitely tried ramen. It's so tasty. I've tried other things but good ramen is so good. I had Creme Brulee and sushi.

1280px-Shoyu_Ramen.jpg

What about everyone else here?

• Like 1

Around here (Southern California) Asian food is second only to Mexican.  Even the chain supermarkets sell sushi.  I can get donburi in the cafeteria at work.  There’s a pretty good sashimi restaurant named “Sakana” just a few blocks away from my house, and at least 4 Japanese-cuisine restaurants close enough to frequent on a regular basis.  

Yeah, I eat Japanese food.  😋  
A1FCEBEC-539A-47AD-B3EE-111331F54315.thumb.jpeg.eb088ab8dbb859e860032c96c1855023.jpeg

• Like 2

On 5/10/2021 at 7:53 PM, efaardvark said:

Around here (Southern California) Asian food is second only to Mexican.  Even the chain supermarkets sell sushi.  I can get donburi in the cafeteria at work.  There’s a pretty good sashimi restaurant named “Sakana” just a few blocks away from my house, and at least 4 Japanese-cuisine restaurants close enough to frequent on a regular basis.  

Yeah, I eat Japanese food.  😋  

Yeah, sushi is everywhere isn't it. It's even at gas stations and one Walmart.

I haven't heard of a Sakana restaurant. I know of a Sakura restaurant.

On 5/10/2021 at 10:56 PM, Wedgy said:

I have to cook my own. I live in the middle of nowhere. It is fun, though. You learn a lot from cooking dishes from different cultures. There's so many different ingredients and techniques to try. I was watching a channel on Youtube for a while that was all about different types of ramen, the techniques and tools they use to make it. It got me especially interested in slow-cooking bone broth. Turns out if you let it sit and simmer all day the flavour is extra rich- so worth the wait.

You're a chef? Quick, what do you think about the Food Wars anime? Bruh, that show introduced me to the term "umami".

The slow-cooking bone broth sounds really tasty... 🤤

6 hours ago, Zila said:

Yes! As authentic as I can get―other times―not so much. Like California style Sushi. xD 

I'll have you know... I like to live *dangerously*. I'll try every sushi at a sushi buffet.

Edited by pathospades

6 hours ago, Wedgy said:

Oh good heavens no not a chef! 😆 I did work with a dietician for a while though so I'd say I have a fairly good handle on things in the kitchen.

Food Wars I've not seen much of. I do like the animation of the food, it is beautifully done, but the ecchi was a bit much for me.

Ah, so rather, a chef of the house.

Yeah, the fan service is over-the-top and is the highlight of the show.

1 hour ago, Ohayotaku said:

Not really, more partial to Italian. 

Have you tried black pasta? It's on my bucket list of things to try if I ever get the chance.

8 hours ago, pathospades said:

I haven't heard of a Sakana restaurant. I know of a Sakura restaurant.

I have both.  Sakana is a little hole-in-the-wall that shares a strip mall with a Korean mini-mart and a hair salon.  If I want a good sushi-and-beer on the way home from work that’s where I’d go.  (“Sakana” is Japanese for “fish”.) The Sakura (“cherry blossom”) is a more upscale place in the better part of town that I’d go to for things like entertaining guests.  They have those grill-tables manned by a “theatrical chef” who will build you an onion-ring volcano as they cook your food, a-la Benihana.

22 minutes ago, pathospades said:

Have you tried black pasta? It's on my bucket list of things to try if I ever get the chance.

Nope, guess I’m not that adventurous 

image.gif.c9b4ddc50db65b8cb8ccaab72a4b513f.gif

• Funny 1

15 minutes ago, efaardvark said:

I have both.  Sakana is a little hole-in-the-wall that shares a strip mall with a Korean mini-mart and a hair salon.  If I want a good sushi-and-beer on the way home from work that’s where I’d go.  (“Sakana” is Japanese for “fish”.) The Sakura (“cherry blossom”) is a more upscale place in the better part of town that I’d go to for things like entertaining guests.  They have those grill-tables manned by a “theatrical chef” who will build you an onion-ring volcano as they cook your food, a-la Benihana.

Sakana sounds like a nice place to try. If the pandemic ends and I see my friends again, I'd love to stop by one.

Wow. So there's Sakura restaurants on the other side of the states. My brother is the manager of one. Tell me, do you know what shrimp sauce is? I went to a Canadian Japanese place and people tell me they've never heard of it.

4 minutes ago, Ohayotaku said:

pic

That's... unappetizing.  (I'd still try it)

9 minutes ago, pathospades said:

Tell me, do you know what shrimp sauce is? I went to a Canadian Japanese place and people tell me they've never heard of it.

The shrimp sauce I’ve encountered is a white sauce condiment that sort of reminded me of thousand island salad dressing.  I’ve tried it but I’m not a big fan of mayonnaise and that seemed to be a major component so .. not my thing.

2 hours ago, efaardvark said:

The shrimp sauce I’ve encountered is a white sauce condiment that sort of reminded me of thousand island salad dressing.  I’ve tried it but I’m not a big fan of mayonnaise and that seemed to be a major component so .. not my thing.

Mm. No, I'm referring to a pink sauce.

4 hours ago, pathospades said:

Mm. No, I'm referring to a pink sauce.

It did have a pink(ish) tinge.  I’m guessing at the makeup but it tasted like mayo, ketchup (tomato paste?), garlic, and maybe onion and/or couple other spices.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't know most of their names though, I used to live in a tourist hotspot/trap so there were a lot of Japanese people there. But I would occasionally go to Himawari to buy some bento. Usually it's pork ginger, bulgogi, sweet & sour pork, or something else.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

I eat a lot of different types of sushi which I love.
I also get these Japanese snack boxes delivered once a month which always has interesting Japanese foods in it to try like candies, ramen, different types of chips, etc and I really like the snacks and candy. 
Ramen is probably my favorite though. 

For now I’ve only eaten sushi, mochi ice cream and miso soup but I really want to eat more Japanese dishes and snack, especially ramen, even instant ramen

I went to a couple different Japanese restaurants before and tried some different things. I was not really a fan of sushi but I did like tempura, miso soup, and udon noodles.