Hiding Anime

Animacarzzy

I am new here but have a mega question. I am a huge lover of anime, but my friend group do not really watch it and whenever it has come up in conversation, it is normally as a joke. What i want to know, is do you openly let people know you love anime or do you hide it? I feel like i should just embrace it but wanted to get other opinions?

I don’t exactly hide it but if it doesn’t come up then I don’t go out of my way to turn the topic in that direction either.  Same with books, space, programming, computer hardware, games, etc.  

Besides which I’m not a big conversationalist in the first place.  If someone asks me directly about some topic that I’m interested in then they’d better be prepared for an earful, but otherwise my side of the conversation usually consists mostly of monosyllables.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, efaardvark said:

I don’t exactly hide it but if it doesn’t come up then I don’t go out of my way to turn the topic in that direction either.  Same with books, space, programming, computer hardware, games, etc.  

pretty much this. I do own some anime themed tees & hoodies that I’ll wear on weekends, but never to work (same goes with my Marvel/DC/Star Wars ones). In recent years I’ve gone to some anime movies in theater & tried to strike up a conversation with people there because it’s safe to assume they have some interest as well. Occasionally the same on the rare occasions I’m in the anime or manga section of an actual store.  But I’m not really someone who can comfortably walk into a Hot Topic given my age & appearance 😂 Things were a lot easier back in the 90s with Suncoast & the proliferation of comic shops.

Growing up my sister had some interest in some of the syndicated series (Sailor Moon, Cardcaptors, Voltron, the Macross arc of Robotech) but that was the extent of it & she primarily views it as a nostalgia thing now. She’s not keen on her boys getting into it & given some of the content nowadays & their ages can’t really blame her.

So I rely largely on forums to discuss anime ( too socially awkward to really feel comfortable on Discord or real time chat).

Edited by Ohayotaku

I hid it when I was younger because I got made fun of for it. Once I got into high school it didn't matter so much anymore. I don't hide it but I don't really bring it up either these days. Now that I'm an adult I don't really have anyone to talk to about it. I wish I did. That is one of my reasons for being here as well. 

• 2 weeks later...

My friends constantly tease me when it comes to watching anime. They follow filthy frank so yeah..they hit me with reality checks lol. My best friend found out when I accidentally pasted a link to heavens lost property..boy that was a tough one to explain xD

It was interesting living away at university as me and another of my flat mates both enjoyed anime, but had very different approaches in this regard. I was very open about liking anime straight away, and I knew I was probably going to get some stick for it (and I was right lol). My flat mate on the other hand kept it to himself, even from his girlfriend, which I'm not sure how he managed. In fact, I only found out he was into it because I caught him half watching GITS over my shoulder one day and asked him if he'd seen it, which lead to a convo about all the different anime we'd seen. Perhaps seeing how the rest of the flat teased me about it put him off, but it wasn't that bad and I didn't take any of it to heart. I just learned to join in with the jokes and not take myself too seriously. Then again, I got into anime quite late. Maybe people who've been into it from an earlier age and were bullied more severely through school because of it may have felt differently, which is understandable. My flat mates eventually found out about his anime interests and they told me they respected me more for just been open about it and not being scared to be myself.

• 3 weeks later...

I love anime and have no real reason to hide it. I guess the only person that I know of that makes kind of a deal out of it is my step dad. He usually says something along the lines of "You'll grow up someday." because he still believes all anime is for children. However I have my own place so it's rare for him to say anything unless I'm actively watching it at his house which after moving out years ago, I haven't... I watch it at my own place. 

I don't see it as embarrassing or taboo if people find out I do watch it. Most of the people I talk to are either into it like I am or only like a certain series or two and that's about it. But honestly if someone does have an issue with it then they don't have to talk to me. Simple as that. 

4 hours ago, EnviousEnvy said:

He usually says something along the lines of "You'll grow up someday." because he still believes all anime is for children.

When people say anime is for children, make them watch Berserk, Claymore, Elfen Lied, Blood C and see if they have the same opinion :D

• Like 1

On 7/27/2021 at 7:21 AM, RZ. said:

When people say anime is for children, make them watch Berserk, Claymore, Elfen Lied, Blood C and see if they have the same opinion :D

Right?! 

Honestly though I should be able to watch even the anime that is appropriate for kids (like Zoids, etc.) without getting hate. 😅

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, EnviousEnvy said:

Right?! 

Honestly though I should be able to watch even the anime that is appropriate for kids (like Zoids, etc.) without getting hate. 😅

Definitely. It always makes me laugh that these criticisms come from people who'll settle down to watch their favorite Disney movies the same evening, as if they're any less child-orientated. We like what we like!

2 hours ago, Q-Tip said:

Saying something is 'for kids' doesn't mean adults aren't allowed to enjoy it.

I’m currently watching Tropical Rouge Precure which is clearly meant for a younger audience (the villains are particularly cartoonish) but still find it entertaining & refreshing. And I actually enjoyed the 1st season of Pokemon.

Edited by Ohayotaku
  • Like 1

I like what I like and I don't hide it.

Unless, it is something intimate/mature content.

We all like what we like and sometimes it's different from our social circle. 

That is okay and accepting people's differences should be normalized.

If it isn't hurting anyone, anything or yourself, it's okay to like something.

No one should hide liking anime or be involved in uncomfortable conversations about something liked.

Friends can tease and all, but at the end of the day, respecting what you like is most important. 🌻

Edited by Persona
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 7/31/2021 at 8:52 PM, Q-Tip said:

Some of my favourites are rated for young audiences! Over the Garden Wall, My Little Pony, heck I watch Bluey for my own enjoyment, and that's a tv for preschoolers. Saying something is 'for kids' doesn't mean adults aren't allowed to enjoy it.

Oh I agree. I love My Little Pony and I enjoy Bluey as well as Paw Patrol but there's a nasty stigma that circulates on the web and in public (at least my town) if they catch wind of you liking a show/movie that is directed for younger audiences (unless you have children).

I'm autistic too so I guess for me people don't really look into much when they find out I like those shows (doesn't cause sensory overload nor are they overwhelming). Still though shouldn't matter but there will always be those that "assume".

No one around me really asks and they haven't said anything weird or negative when I post about a show that I might find interesting. My sis is crazy into it. 

Some of my friends like anime but they're not as invested. They can't remember characters names half the time. 

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

A surprising number of people are open to anime in my area. A few of my coworkers have anime decal stickers and lanyards or shoes. Same with my classes. 

I don't know anyone that would be childish enough to care or take priority in being ill spirited about it. Everyone's out busy with their own thing. Bills, school, family. Whether or not someone likes anime is probably the farthest thing from their mind. It's not like people are more likely to exclusively talk about anime either. We're very capable of being normal people that happen to like anime. xD

• Like 1

I don't actually hide the fact that I like anime but it just never seems to come up in conversations with my friends. I don't think many of them have heard the term or know what it is although a couple of my friends do know I watch what they call "those Japanese videos" but they never ask questions about them.

At our Zoom social meeting during one of the lockdowns one of the subjects for discussion was a favourite film, I choose "The Place Promised in our Early Days" but no one asked about it or commented and the discussion just moved swiftly on to the more well known Hollywood blockbusters.