Summer 2021 Early Impressions

Ohayotaku

https://www.livechart.me/summer-2021/tv

It’s hard to believe the new roster of shows begins tomorrow. While I’m aware that most active users on this forum don’t watch a lot of series as they air, I thought I would still create a topic where people can share their early thoughts on series or the season as a whole.

Even for me, there’s not much I’m hyped for this time, especially compared to the first half of this year, but …

Probably the one I’m anticipating the most is Higurashi~When They Cry~Satsu.  NOTE: YOU DO NEED TO HAVE WATCHED BOTH SEASONS OF THE ORIGINAL SERIES & GOU FIRST. I’d initially written off Gou as an inferior remake/alternate version, but by the end it had established  itself as a direct sequel that was going in a very intriguing direction, so I’m really curious to see how it ends. Icing on the cake is that the trailers indicate that best girl Rena will finally get more screentine even though as a pawn (can’t say of who because spoilers).

Some other sequels/continuations I’ll be watching: Iruma-kun, MHA, Reincarnated as a Slime & Next Life as a Villainess. I’m still undecided on Dragon Maid (largely due to the new dragon’s “design” 😳 ), To Your Eternity, Tokyo Revengers & Blue Reflection Ray.

Some new series I’m curious about: Sonny Boy, The Duke of Death and his Maid, The Detective is Already Dead & Peach Boy Riverside.

Anyway, hopefully I won’t be the only one with thoughts to contribute :P 

Edited by Ohayotaku

Today’s premieres:

Higurashi~When They Cry~Sotsu - They actually started us off with 2 episodes this week. As noted above, this is the series I have the highest hopes for & the premiere certainly didn’t disappoint. Since you need to already have seen the original series plus Kai & Gou to understand what’s happening, there is a considerable time investment involved. But if you’re into psychological horror, I’d still recommend (8/10)

Peach Boy Riverside  - based on other viewers comments the events of the first ep are actually a ways into the manga series, but I personally didn’t find it particularly confusing. Sally & Frau both made good impressions on me. The fan service moments were of the blatant/pointless variety but not what I find offensive. Hoping it keeps going in a good direction (7/10)

Scarlet Nexus - generic set up & cheezy dialogue. And the CGI monsters just look ridiculous. That kind of surreal imagery might have worked in Madoka Magica (or Pink Floyd videos)  but not here. One & done (5/10)

Edited by Ohayotaku
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The Case Study of Vanitas -  three episodes in I like everything about it other than Vanitas’ personality. I particularly like the artstyle & the setting has potential for some very intetesting world building.  And while vampires in anime aren’t anything new, it seems to be distinguishing itself from the usual tropes with it’s mythos.

Girlfriend Girlfriend  -  it would be downright offensive if it wasn’t so goofy. Embarrassed to admit each episode so far has made me laugh more than the previous one. Saki’s voice acting in particular carries this show. She somehow manages to be the straightman for most of the jokes while demonstrating some pretty major issues of her own.

Edited by Ohayotaku

• 3 weeks later...

Kageki Shojo -  a drama series about HS girls studying to be part of a stage acting troupe. My initial impression was that it had kind of a SoL/CGDCT vibe with it’s quirky characters, but 5 episodes in it’s already touched on issues like sexual harrasment/assault, expectation anxiety, body image & eating disorders (bulimia). While it’s approach has still been pretty simplistic, I’m inclined to give it props for at least not being purely aspirational fluff. Though I could see some viewers criticizing it for not taking the issues seriously enough, I’m still finding it thought provoking but also charming.

I’m seriously considering setting Peach Boy Riverside aside until the season is over so I can watch the episodes in their correct order. Airing the “first” episode 4th wasn’t a big deal & actually introduced us to Frau quicker. But it’s at the point now where we’re getting “flashback” scenes of events from episodes that haven’t even aired yet 🙃 I’ve read the interview explaining the “reasoning” 🤨 behind this, but don’t see that it’s actually accomplished what they were aiming for. It’s a shame, because I still think it has potential to be one of the season’s best shows, but they’ve made it needlessly hard to follow.