top 10 must watch anime

YOLO61

• 1 month later...

Well, I'm not sure about Top 10, but I give you my top 3: Space Adventure cobra (with beautiful OST from Yello https://musescore.com/user/11173371/scores/3789856), Evangelion (ost from this anme is beautiful thing too https://musescore.com/sheetmusic?text=evangelion) and Hellsing TV version (great music by Yasushi Ishii https://musescore.com/user/14505396/scores/5078774). Enjoy!

• Like 1

I tend to be skeptical of the concepts of “essential” anime or ones with universal appeal. Having said that, some I feel come closest would be:

Cowboy Bebop

Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood

Death Note

I purposely do not list titles like Naruto, Dragonball & One Piece because I find that the sheer length of them are a barrier to people trying to get into anime & they invariably become repetitive.

3 minutes ago, Ohayotaku said:

I tend to be skeptical of the concepts of “essential” anime or ones with universal appeal. Having said that, some I feel come closest would be:

Cowboy Bebop

Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood

Death Note

I purposely do not list titles like Naruto, Dragonball & One Piece because I find that the sheer length of them are a barrier to people trying to get into anime & they invariably become repetitive.

Based on your list, have you seen Trigun?

Yup, though it’s been a long time. 
Based on my memory I’d probably give it an 8/10.

There are actually a number of series I enjoy, but I still consider to be niche.

3 minutes ago, Ohayotaku said:

Yup, though it’s been a long time. 
Based on my memory I’d probably give it an 8/10.

There are actually a number of series I enjoy, but I still consider to be niche.

Yeah, it's an old as heck anime. I don't hear it mentioned much, because all of the ones you listed just get so much more recommendations.

What was memorable about Trigun was there was a major shift in tone between the first & second halves of the series once we learned Vash’s backstory. It also had a likeable cast of characters (Vash, Milly, Meryl, Wolfwood). But if memory serves, not everything was resolved by the anime’s ending (not sure if the manga did or not). It has a lot of nostalgic value, but I don’t remember it being as epic as some other series. I’d like to go back & rewatch it someday and see if my views change.

As a side note, another scifi/western hybrid called Gun x Sword came out shortly thereafter. Though it’s not as well known & by my recollections would be 7/10. 

Edited by Ohayotaku

• 3 months later...

Okay here the list

(I'm gonna try avoiding anything anyone else recommended!)

Slayers - A really fun fantasy comedy series, it's a little dated but it has some very strong characters and writing
Outlaw Star - A fun action packed adventure series, very similar in setting to Cowboy Bebop but just completly wacky but a really solid story nonetheless
Toradora! - Obviously I was gonna say this one but really it is a must watch Rom-Com stroke slice of life series
Mobile Suit Gundam 083 Stardust Memory - One of the better Gundam shows for people not too familiar with the concept or the U.C. timeline with lots of space battles and mecha combat
Space Battleship Yamato 2199 - One of the best shows I've seen, lots of epic battles and adventures with some of the better use of CGI in anime
Fate Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works - You could opt for Fate Zero, but for me Fate Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works is more enjoyable and is a more relaxing and easy going experience.
Steins Gate - One of the best shows I've ever watched, you will do yourself such a disservice not watching it
Wolfs Rain - This one is a weird one, its very different but like Steins Gate its one of those shows that is very atmospheric and emotional, its a very interesting story with some very deep characters. 
Berserk (1997) - this one is a little old but its probably the best adaptation of the manga were every getting, it only covers the golden age arch but it is really good 
Psycho-Pass - this is a very good crime series, that delivers into some interesting ideas and makes you question things. nice visuals and also a strong English dub cast which is very good if your not use to subs.

You got all that right?

spacer.png

Pay attention bro. I'm trying to save you from wasting time on bad anime!

• Funny 1

On 7/22/2021 at 8:53 PM, YOLO61 said:

Hey guys i am a new weeb so i dont know much about quality content i came across a w

There's only one person who can answer this, and that is the King of Anime, the King of Manga. The King of Gaming and the King of YouTube Young Defiant. 

However on a serious note, just choose shows that sound interesting. Perhaps pick a couple studios, writers or directors who work you've liked in the past and check out there other work. That approach worked for me.

(To be fair to young his taste isn't bad, a couple really good shows in his top ten... its just, well watch the video to really get an appreciation for why I ironically find this video funny).

On 12/17/2021 at 5:19 PM, MediaConsumesMe said:

What's Genshiken?

It’s an older slice-of-life drama/comedy about a college campus club focused on otaku interests (anime, manga, gaming, cosplay, model kits).  Basically the joys & stigma of being an otaku while preparing to enter “grown-up” society (career path, relationships, etc). I believe there were 2 seasons, though I’ve only seen the first one. Thought it was decent. There was also a spin off series (Kujibiki Unbalance) which was an adaption of a fictional anime series the characters in Genshiken were fans of. That one was pretty weak and felt like a bad parody of anime tropes.

Edited by Ohayotaku