How to play Sudoku

Sonic Whammy

I've been on a hunt to show off games related to math as part of my mission objective on YouTube. Today, I went to one of my favorite pastimes, Sudoku, and showed off how to play it. I even tried to teach my wife and daughter how to play.

How are you guys with Sudoku? Anyone any good?

✋

Hi, my name is John and I am totally addicted to sudoku.  If there were a sudoku anonymous then I would be at all the meetings.  :D 

Seriously though, Sudoku isn’t really about math.  It is 100% logic.  You can replace the numbers with any arbitrary set of 9 symbols.  My sudoku app lets me use numbers & letters from several languages, plus pips (like on dominos), etc.  

There’s even an insanity-inducing mode that rotates through all the possible symbol sets, changing them about once per second while you are playing!   😮  

1EB6EE11-42EE-48A9-9455-B9BC3CC7E09D.thumb.png.8e7918714d0ed115de818ea2caa3cf7f.png99099D49-6234-4D05-81E0-BBEDA2AABC2D.thumb.png.94af4a548ed2195255de85da728e7092.png

64BEC468-4DE5-498A-8B0F-6F9FEB5BA655.thumb.png.e57f8d44139d97e7cfb98431138eb970.png

Absolutely true. The Latin Squares from 19th century Europe were often not numbers either.

However, a "math" game is not solely based on numbers or computation, just fundamental math concepts. And as you justified, Sudoku does have one of the biggest mathematical principals working for it: Logic. Being able to use inductive and deductive reasoning to be able to turn prove and reach conclusions, all of that is actually considered a math skill. The fact that Sudoku just happens to also to present the puzzle with digits is an aesthetic plus.

There's many other examples of games like this, and the goal of this wing of my YouTube channel is to showcase them.

• Love it! (Daisuki) 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/20/2021 at 7:51 PM, Otaking66lives said:

You do a very good job...thank you!

Most appreciated. I'm doing what I can. Got a BUNCH of new games this Christmas, got a lot of time and videos to catch up on. Hope you enjoy when the time comes.

Also, check the channel, there's a follow up I did a couple weeks later after the creator of the game died. Watch particularly for the parts I fast forward through.

22 hours ago, Sonic Whammy said:

Most appreciated. I'm doing what I can. Got a BUNCH of new games this Christmas, got a lot of time and videos to catch up on. Hope you enjoy when the time comes.

Also, check the channel, there's a follow up I did a couple weeks later after the creator of the game died. Watch particularly for the parts I fast forward through.

@Sonic Whammy I looked at your profile, and decided to give you a follow. You remind me of a math teacher I had in 8th grade (Im in high school now, that was years ago), he also taught us how to play Sudoku. He was also pretty strict on me for not being too good at math, im still not good at math. Off Topic...but math is my worst subject, considering I have all A's and B's. except in Math which is a D at the moment. Hah 😅

Edited by deaaath
  • Like 2