What anime have you dropped?

MediaConsumesMe

So I make a habit of completing shows, however there was one show I started watching. And I dropped it, it's the only show I've ever dropped. 

It was called Kokoro Connect. For some reason the show just started grating on me, and I stopped watching it in favour of another show. 

So what shows have you guys on here started and stopped watching, at what was the reason you stopped watching the show? 

If you’re looking for specifics, check my MAL profile. If I rated it at least a 6 there’s at least a chance I may revisit it. 5 or below, I probably closed the door on it. In general, I used to be more of a completionist myself, but since discovering streaming I’m more willing to drop series or at least set them aside to maybe give another chance later. The main reason being there is so much of it available, but a limited amount of time to spend on it. Plus, while I have preferences when it cones to genre, I like to explore & I prefer having a variety in what I watch. If a series is too similar to another I’m watching or watched recently I’m more likely to set it aside. Conversely I might stick with a series that’s light or even obviously flawed if it can make me laugh or at least smile to balance out some darker/heavier ones so I don’t get too depressed.  There are series out there that I had high expectations for but did nothing for me. There are others I was pleasantly surprised by. In some cases it depended on what was going on IRL for me at a particular time. It’s not always easy to tell if a series will be worth the time you put into  it, so I think it’s up to the individual. The important thing is to enjoy the journey :)  

Edited by Ohayotaku

I have a few that I dropped and majority that I have dropped were due to being very long and got repetitive to me because it feels like they weren't really progressing the story after awhile. The biggest one that comes to mind is One Piece. I absolutely can no longer stand that series (even though my fiance is literally obsessed with the series).

6 hours ago, Ohayotaku said:

I used to be more of a completionist myself, but since discovering streaming I’m more willing to drop series or at least set them aside to maybe give another chance later.

Yeah I don't stream anime much, but I never truly got into streaming in general. I think it's because there's so much choice there's no choice. 

2 hours ago, EnviousEnvy said:

The biggest one that comes to mind is One Piece. I absolutely can no longer stand that series (even though my fiance is literally obsessed with the series).

I haven't watched any of the big three, but knowing there size and the fact people have said there's lots of filler I decided to not make an attempt. I didn't see the point of watching thirty plus episodes losing my patience and dropping it.

2 hours ago, MediaConsumesMe said:

I haven't watched any of the big three, but knowing there size and the fact people have said there's lots of filler I decided to not make an attempt. I didn't see the point of watching thirty plus episodes losing my patience and dropping it.

I only watched around 13 episodes of Bleach & didn’t even make it to double-digits on Naruto. Don’t plan on revisiting either of them. I made it to around 150 episodes of One Piece before burning out on it. I actually would like to continue it now that I’ve had a break, but it’s sheer size is intimidating & I have too many more manageable series on my PTW list. 

Edited by Ohayotaku

6 hours ago, Ohayotaku said:

I only watched around 13 episodes of Bleach & didn’t even make it to double-digits on Naruto. Don’t plan on revisiting either of them. I made it to around 150 episodes of One Piece. 

150 episodes, damn that's a lot. Is that a sizable chunk of the show or just a fraction of it.

I think the reason I haven't watched those shows is not just there size but likely the reason you couldn't get to double digits on Naruto.

From what I've heard Naruto is indented for younger audiences, which explains both it's length and repetitiveness and it's one note op characters. 

13 minutes ago, MediaConsumesMe said:

150 episodes, damn that's a lot. Is that a 

sizable chunk of the show or just a fraction of it.

They just aired episode 1,000 😂

They’re planning to wrap it up in a couple years last I heard. Also heard Netflix is planning a live-action adaption. Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen given that Cowboy Bebop would have been one of the easier anime to adapt imo & it still turned out atrocious.

Edited by Ohayotaku

10 minutes ago, Ohayotaku said:

They just aired episode 1,000 😂

They’re planning to wrap it up in a couple years last I heard. Also heard Netflix is planning a live-action adaption. Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen given that Cowboy Bebop would have been one of the easier anime to adapt imo & it still turned out atrocious.

When I first heard about the cowboy bebop adaption I knew it would suck. There's so much that can go wrong with adapting animation into live action. 

Also 1000 episodes, your basically just over a tenth in. Personally that is way to many episodes for me. Plus who knows how many episodes will be added once it finishes in a few years time.

Haven't dropped any show yet have placed three back into my to watch list though HOTD, the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya and Planetes.

tumblr_naukiiU0Vi1sfeoupo1_500.gif.d94ddde346161abad5a75f4615ee86ff.gif

(Don't attack me Haruhi fans I plan to rewatch it at some point)

I was just watching way to many shows at the time and personlly found I wasn't getting into them as much as the others. 

3 minutes ago, MarathonGuy1337 said:

Haven't dropped any show yet have placed three back into my to watch list though HOTD, the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya and Planetes.

(Don't attack me Haruhi fans I plan to rewatch it at some point)

I was just watching way to many shows at the time and personlly found I wasn't getting into them as much as the others. 

I don't blame you...Haruhi was very difficult for me to get into at first...took me 4 attempts to watch the entire thing...as far as me dropping something...Naruto...*ducks flying junk* Hey! Yes, I said it! I watched 3 episodes when I found out how long it was probably going to be...and after already dealing with One Piece and Bleach, I dropped out on that one...didn't have the time or energy to invest that much of my life into one series at the time.

1 hour ago, MarathonGuy1337 said:

the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

I finished MoHS on my 2nd attempt, though the Endless Eight  arc in season 2 made it a challenge. I also watched the Disappearance of Haruhi Suzimiya movie. But I only made it a couple episodes into the Disappearance of Yuki Nagato series before dropping & kinda doubt I’ll make another attempt.
Overall I consider the franchise overhyped. While not a huge fan of Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunnygirl-senpai, I felt like it had a lot of similarities & was more enjoyable. 

Edited by Ohayotaku

21 minutes ago, Otaking66lives said:

as far as me dropping something...Naruto

I'm the same way.  Even for the ones I've really liked, I get maybe 3 seasons in before it gets repetitive and boring.  It is extremely rare and takes a lot of skill to continue to create anything for that long and keep it fresh.  Besides I want a story, and endings are an important part of any story.  If I see something with hundreds of episodes I don't even start it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ohayotaku said:

the Endless Eight  arc in season 2 made it a challenge.

That's one of the few series that I liked enough to actually own on DVD.  But yes.  Totally agree.

10 hours ago, efaardvark said:

I'm the same way.  Even for the ones I've really liked, I get maybe 3 seasons in before it gets repetitive and boring.  It is extremely rare and takes a lot of skill to continue to create anything for that long and keep it fresh.  Besides I want a story, and endings are an important part of any story.  If I see something with hundreds of episodes I don't even start it.

Yeah I feel the same way, if there's like a thousand episodes and people then say a decent chunk is just filler I am not starting a show like that. I've only watched some of MoHS and to be honest it wasn't all that interesting when I sat down to watch it. Got about half way through then selved it to focus on another anime. 

I do think 12 to 25 episodes is a good amount to tell a simple closed narrative, add a sequel film and that should wrap the plot up nicely. 

I think the only two long running shoes I've watched and binged to completion was Monster and currently Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood. 

10 hours ago, Otaking66lives said:

far as me dropping something...Naruto...*ducks flying junk* Hey! Yes, I said it! I watched 3 episodes when I found out how long it was probably going to be...

I've never even started one of the big three and have no plans to start them. I just don't see the point, there no in my age range and there's shorter and better shows to watch in there stead. 

• 3 months later...

My Hero AcademiaSaw season one, and two or three episodes of season two and never returned. Maybe I'll get back to it one day and binge the seasons.

Jujutsu Kaisen: I feel like I've seen this anime a dozen times over, just with a new set of characters. Only got a few episodes in before I dropped it.

Tokyo Ghoul: I don't really like anime with lots of violence and gore and stuff but I gave it a try. Simply not my thing.

Recently dropped, My Dress-Up Darling: Gave it a try even though I heard this and that about it. Yeah, wasn't too much interested.

Edited by peachtea
Typo fix: Tokyo Ghoul spelling.

Recently I dropped Scaret Nexus and Edens Zero. Didn't find there to much substance in either of them. I don't drop a lot of shows but when I do it's usually just because I couldn't get into them, or lost interest in them somewhere along the line, and there was better stuff waiting.

Apart from Tsukiyomi Moon Phase, which I dropped because it's just... wrong.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 3/29/2022 at 3:23 AM, peachtea said:

My Hero AcademiaSaw season one, and two or three episodes of season two and never returned. Maybe I'll get back to it one day and binge the seasons.

Jujutsu Kaisen: I feel like I've seen this anime a dozen times over, just with a new set of characters. Only got a few episodes in before I dropped it.

Tokyo Ghoul: I don't really like anime with lots of violence and gore and stuff but I gave it a try. Simply not my thing.

Recently dropped, My Dress-Up Darling: Gave it a try even though I heard this and that about it. Yeah, wasn't too much interested.

I would say as far as Jujutsu Kaisen goes, I was totally where you are after 3 episodes. It felt overhyped, done before, flash in the pan. I was ready to give up on it tbh. But honest to God, it's as if the creators of the show were trying to trick people that follow the "3 episode rule" into leaving RIGHT BEFORE things start to get good!

Episode 4 to me is where the show really starts, and it has this remarkable ability to catch you by surprise and strengthen your bond with it EVERY SINGLE EPISODE from there on, better than anything I've seen before or since. If you made it past episode 4 and still dont like it, you probably wont end up liking it later.  But if you stopped at 3? Hey, you might be just a few episodes away from realising a new top-tier anime 👀

5 hours ago, AlwaysSearching said:

I would say as far as Jujutsu Kaisen goes, I was totally where you are after 3 episodes. It felt overhyped, done before, flash in the pan. I was ready to give up on it tbh. But honest to God, it's as if the creators of the show were trying to trick people that follow the "3 episode rule" into leaving RIGHT BEFORE things start to get good!

Episode 4 to me is where the show really starts, and it has this remarkable ability to catch you by surprise and strengthen your bond with it EVERY SINGLE EPISODE from there on, better than anything I've seen before or since. If you made it past episode 4 and still dont like it, you probably wont end up liking it later.  But if you stopped at 3? Hey, you might be just a few episodes away from realising a new top-tier anime 👀

I forgot what episode it was but it was the one where Junpei brings Itadori to meet his mom. Gege commented that JJK was inspired by works like Bleach and YuYu Hakusho. There's quite a few elements from Naruto and HxH too. I don't think JJK is a bad anime! It just feels like déjà vu. Losing interest happened on its own. v.v ~~ 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, peachtea said:

I forgot what episode it was but it was the one where Junpei brings Itadori to meet his mom. Gege commented that JJK was inspired by works like Bleach and YuYu Hakusho. There's quite a few elements from Naruto and HxH too. I don't think JJK is a bad anime! It just feels like déjà vu. Losing interest happened on its own. v.v ~~ 

Well shoot, it sounds like you got 10 episodes deep then. Probably a good call that you dropped it, you were 1 episode off from a very shocking turn of events for Junpei but it wouldnt have done anything to keep the rest of the show from feeling like deja vu.

I see where you're coming from, there's only so many shows about a young boy making friends while trying to harness incredible power to fight a threatening evil before they all just start feeling the same lol.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

22 minutes ago, AlwaysSearching said:

I see where you're coming from, there's only so many shows about a young boy making friends while trying to harness incredible power to fight a threatening evil before they all just start feeling the same lol.

When you put it that way! xD Funny. It was unfortunate to become disinterested but maybe I will return to it and watch it over again. Thank you for taking the time to give another perspective. I like that JJK left you with such an impression and that you shared it with me. It's natural when interests change and if I ever do revisit Jujutsu Kaisen I'd love to talk about it here!

• Like 1

I don't drop series because I don't subscribe to any streaming services and buy all my anime on disk, which can be expensive, but then again I don't loose access to my favourite series when the streaming company decides to cull their catalogue.

Over the past year there have been a couple of series where a few episodes in I wonder why I purchased this rubbish, but I stick with it (I paid for it after all!) and usually by about halfway through I change my mind and think it's a reasonably decent series. I often find such series are much better second time round.

Of course there have been some, fortunately not many, that start bad, continue to be bad and are still bad at the end....
and yes, Kokoro Connect, I am looking at you!!

1 minute ago, Animedragon said:

I don't drop series because I don't subscribe to any streaming services and buy all my anime on disk, which can be expensive, but then again I don't loose access to my favourite series when the streaming company decides to cull their catalogue.

Over the past year there have been a couple of series where a few episodes in I wonder why I purchased this rubbish, but I stick with it (I paid for it after all!) and usually by about halfway through I change my mind and think it's a reasonably decent series. I often find such series are much better second time round.

Of course there have been some, fortunately not many, that start bad, continue to be bad and are still bad at the end....
and yes, Kokoro Connect, I am looking at you!!

Yeah, I wish I hadn't bought Witch Hunter Robin... I mean considering it came out alongside some right classics I was sure it was going to be good. But I'm over half way and it still so boring. I honestly dropped it. 

• Like 1

A few days ago I was recommended Vampire Knight but I have some stuff going on so it's kind of been a drag to watch anything right now. Erm, you guessed it, I dropped Vampire Knight. Hard. What is this mess!? Siblings? SIBLINGS!!? You okay, Hino?

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1