What got you into Anime?

MarathonGuy1337

What got you into Anime? It's a simple enough question but it's one that is always unique and often personal. 

My story goes something like this. Just watched Star Wars The Forced Awakens, was a moderate fan of star wars and was genuinely interested in how the series would develop under the new owners Disney, and was majorly disappointed with the film. Not long before this I had been also pretty deflated with the release of Halo 5: Guardians, was a big fan of the Halo series. I had all the books, comics and sin of games even the Halo Legend Anime, mind you I got that purely because it was Halo, and was majorly hyped for the release of a new title of the franchise and I had completely bought into all the hype for the games up and coming release role around the actually are release an a big slap of reality. 

Since both Star Wars and Halo had failed in my eyes I was pretty space for entertainment and craving new content and I just so happened to stumble on the remake of Star Blazers, Space Battleship Yamato 2199, since I was and am a big Sci-Fi nut I watched the show and found myself really enjoying the characters and the plot.

spacer.png

To be fair how couldn't I with scenes like this!

Once that was finished I realized I wanted to watch more shows like it and complied a list of sci-fi anime shows after watching a bunch of recommended lists on YouTube. Mobile Suit Gundam, Neon Genesis Evangelion and a bunch of others. Eventually I started experimenting away from the Sci-Fi genre starting with Toradora! and other titles and by that point I was pretty much hocked on anime. 

So that's my story lets here your below!

• Like 2

My own anime journey spans 4 decades:

it all started for me in the late 70’s/early 80’s when I saw Star Blazers (the Americanized version of the original Space Battleship Yamato) while getting ready for grade school. From the subject matter, to the story continuity to the art style, eveything about it stood apart from the other “cartoons” that aired around it (primarily Hana Barbera & comedic shorts like Loony Toons, Tom & Jerry, etc. ) I became so fixated with it I would even set my alarm clock for 6 am over summer break so I could watch it & go back to bed afterwards. Even when it went into reruns (they only had the first two arcs: Journey to Iscandar & The Comet Empire) I made it a point to watch every weekday when it aired. I remember seeing the dubbed version of the Galaxy Express 999 movie on tv around the same time & noticing it had the same style of characters. Battle of the Planets (Gatchaman) would also air sometimes before or between sporting events to fill air time, but I never really got into it. Over the years that followed , I remember various other “cartoons” with similarities, some of which I now recognize as anime, though some technically weren’t. Examples: Voltron, Mazinger Z, Thundercats, Beast Wars (Transformers CGI series), Mighty Orbots, Cyber 6, & Escaflowne. The one besides Star Blazers that had the biggest impression on me was Robotech. That one gets some hate from hardcore otaku because it was 3 unrelated mecha anime (Macross, Southern Cross & Genesis Climber Mospeda) that were spliced together. But I enjoyed it & even read the novelizations that bridged them. My family didn’t have cable tv growing up, so my exposure was limited to edited/Americanized versions.

My next phase started in the mid 90’s when I had my first full time job & started exploring anime on VHS tapes. Memorable titles from that phase include Project A-ko, Ranma 1/2, Slayers, Tenchi Muyo, Nadia-Secret of Blue Water & Irresponsible Captain Tylor. Moved on DVD with titles like Outlaw Star, Trigun, Cowboy Bebop & Saber Marionette J. That was also the phase when I started exploring subtitled anime more.

Around 2010 my interest in anime waned. DVDs were still petty expensive & increasingly things seemed to be shifting to streaming. I lived in a rural area at the time & although we had cable tv, a lack of reliable high speed internet made streaming not a viable option. I still enjoyed anime, but didn’t spend much time on it.

Then around 5 years ago, my life underwent a pretty big shakeup. In the aftermath, I moved into town & started watching more anime again as a way of trying to recapture nostalgia. However, the increased freedom of streaming led me to explore a wider spectrum of what anime has to offer. I’ve found a number of anime, sometimes a single episode other times an entire series that seem to resonate with what I went through or where I am right now. Plus many others that addressed complex topics. Of course there’s plenty of the more escapist variety as well.

I’m not sure where things will go from here, but seems highly unlikely I will ever completely outgrow my love of anime :P 

Edited by Ohayotaku
  • Like 1
  • Cool (Kakkoii) 1

The real answer is long winded, but I'd say my interest peaked when I was watching Yamato, Legend of the Galactic Heroes and Goblin Slayer. Those were the first three shows, I sat down and watched fully. But back then I wouldn't have called myself an anime fan, I like some anime but I wasn't actively searching for new anime. At some point I watched Fate Apocrypha - and that was all down to Astolfo being plastered over my whole Youtube recommended, and eventually I had to see the show he (at the time I thought a she) came from. Once I watched Fate Apocrypha, I had a sudden desire for more anime, quickly I nailed Fate Zero, Steins Gate, Psycho Pass, Ergo Proxy and then I watched all of Monster. So roughly in that early period I became a fan of Anime.

11 minutes ago, Kevin Scott said:

What got me in to anime is cartoons 😁😂

Which cartoons? I got to be honest I never watched any of the cool ones when I was a kid. I know there were some really highly regarded ones such as; Batman The Animated Series, The Clone Wars (2008) and The Avengers: Earths Mightiest Heroes, but I never sat and watched them. 

1 hour ago, Kevin Scott said:

What got me in to anime is cartoons 😁😂

You know I kind of want to know as well 

4 hours ago, MediaConsumesMe said:

I had a sudden desire for more anime, quickly I nailed Fate Zero, Steins Gate, Psycho Pass, Ergo Proxy and then I watched all of Monster

Man you started with some heavy shit MediaConsumesMe probably why you where never a big fan of shows like Golden Times and Toradora!
 spacer.png
Ghost Banri!!!

2 minutes ago, MarathonGuy1337 said:

Man you started with some heavy shit MediaConsumesMe probably why you where never a big fan of shows like Golden Times and Toradora 

Yeah, to be fair I was skeptical of watching Monster initially it seemed so long. But I decided one night to just do it, bite the bullet and give the first episode a watch. Ended up watching several episodes up till Tenma learns how to handle a gun in the first night. It became a daily ritual till completion to sit back and plow through four to five episodes. 

Nothing will ever come close to Monster. Tragic. 

• Aww 1

33245649_giphy(1).gif.f50fa34060378c9dc65b05d29eab6c43.gif

Sorry for the outburst but fuck me your HS teacher let you watch that?????
Like the opening alone was pretty "riskay" and he was your marine biology teacher.
Kinda jealous of whatever classes you had and teachers. He was obviously a legend to allow that. 

Edited by MarathonGuy1337
  • Like 1

Pretty sure it was brought on by finally getting unsupervised internet time as a kid.

I got to finally explore YouTube on my own and I ended up finding a pirated anime that had been uploaded in horrible, horrible resolution. 

It was a short 13 episode rom-com. I can't remember how I found it, but I liked it because the protagonist's tragic love life felt relatable to an angsty teenager. Once you get hooked on the FEELS, becoming a weeb is inevitable.

• Like 1
  • Cute (Kawaii) 2

My introduction anime was a mix of Ghibli and Pokemon. I saw Spirited Away in the theaters when I was about 4 or 5. As for Pokemon, despite not having really watched the anime, I have seen it pretty much anywhere I went. Also, at that time, I would hear the word "Japan" and it never crossed my mind where it was located. Very strange introduction indeed.

Also remember having a VHS from "Grimm's Fairy Tale Classics", and I did not know that was a anime until I was 16.

Edited by Hanna Fechik
  • Like 1
  • Awesome (Sugoi) 2

24 minutes ago, Hanna Fechik said:

My introduction anime was a mix of Ghibli and Pokemon. I saw Spirited Away in the theaters when I was about 4 or 5.

Ghibli is a common way for most people to get introduced to anime I feel. I myself saw a Ghibli film at school once, I think it was also Spirted Away but it could have been any of the others released around the same time, thought that wasn't what got me into anime. I probably watched a couple other "anime" films before I got into anime, I remember owning Halo Legends being a big fan of the halo series but again I don't thinks what made me an anime fan.

3 minutes ago, kamomesan said:

Please Teacher! I've just checked and it appears there still exists a dubbed version on YouTube. I have no idea how it holds up after all these years, so be warned

spacer.png

Your a legend!!!!!
Mind you the to watch list is looking pretty grim right know but I'll definatly have to check it out at some point :)

22 hours ago, Soramee_ said:

Personally I didn’t start with a good show... hum hum dragon ball evolution hum hum... yeah I still don’t understand how I didn’t got scared of anime after watching that 😅

Is that the live action film by any chance if so I have one thing to add!

Pretty dope ass music video if you catch my drift ;)

• Funny 2

18 minutes ago, MarathonGuy1337 said:

Pretty dope ass music video if you catch my drift ;)

😳😳😳

18 minutes ago, MarathonGuy1337 said:
22 hours ago, Soramee_ said:

Personally I didn’t start with a good show... hum hum dragon ball evolution hum hum... yeah I still don’t understand how I didn’t got scared of anime after watching that 😅

Is that the live action film by any chance if so I have one thing to add!

Yes it is but if I can recommend something to you... do not watch it unless you want to see the worst and shitiest live action ever in existence ( I would probably class it above the death note live action in term of shit)😁

But also If you just want to laugh at how this is shit I would totally recommend 👍

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kamomesan said:

Please Teacher

@MarathonGuy1337 It’s also available on Crunchyroll & Funimation. And there’s a spin off series called Please Twins also available on those sites. Since it’s an older series, I would think it’s available with a free account, but not sure. I haven’t personally watched either series, but had heard of them.

Edited by Ohayotaku

I found it on Watch Cartoon and Anime Online 
Here's a link Please! Twins - Watch Cartoons and Anime Online in HD for Free (wcofun.com)

Best part is WCOfun.com is a free site, where you can watch anime for free online

Here's a link to the site -
Watch Cartoons and Anime Online in HD for Free (wcofun.com) 

Honestly I was into anime before I even knew what anime was 😅.

Digimon

Pokemon 

Beyblade 

Zoids

InuYasha

The list goes on... I think I may of been in like 2nd grade when a new student actually told me what it was, lol.

• Love it! (Daisuki) 1