What got you into Anime?

MarathonGuy1337

On 12/21/2021 at 5:06 AM, EnviousEnvy said:

Honestly I was into anime before I even knew what anime was 😅.

I wish that was the same. don't really know why I wasn't into before my late-teen as it seems to be something that I should have had more interest in being a big gamer but for whatever reason I just never really happened. It could be that I was a Xbox kid, which typically has more western titles as appose to a big Sony or Nintendo fan which being eastern consoles have a heavily mix of both western and eastern titles IDK. 

On 12/21/2021 at 11:14 AM, Kreideprinz said:

My uncle was a teacher in Japan from the late 70's - mid 90's. He liked to share the culture whenever he came through to visit the family. Among the artisan and culinary gifts were manga and anime VHS tapes. When I started seeing it on television I was like, oh cool. The rest is history.

That's probably the coolest way anyone here has gotten into anime so far, might even give the boss teacher story from before a run for the money. 

tenor.gif?itemid=16178836

(Chad Story Alert!!!!)

9 hours ago, Kit said:

It was the same for me but with a sister lol. She watches anime more then I do and one day we were watching One Punch Man with my cousins and I asked her for recommendations.

That's a funny coincidence. Since I was into anime before my brother, and kind of convinced him to start looking into anime titles I'd watched Space Battleship Yamato, Torodora, Neon Genesis Evangelion and the likes.

More out of curiosity but what where her top recommendations. 
spacer.png
Always need to add to the MyAnimeList

• Like 1

It all started back in 2010. 

Me and my dad were sitting on the couch, little 5 year old me was getting ready for school. He showed me the world of anime. What anime to be exact? Cowboy Bebop. He showed me more anime like Naruto, Death Note and so on. That's my little story, i'm 16 now, and i've been watching anime since then! :P 

anime-happy.gif

• Like 1
  • Love it! (Daisuki) 1
  • Cool (Kakkoii) 1

16 hours ago, deaaath said:

He showed me the world of anime. What anime to be exact? Cowboy Bebop. He showed me more anime like Naruto, Death Note and so on.

Cowboy Bebop, Death Note and... Naruto?

Odd combination sure but then again I watched shows ranging from Monster to The Humanoid.

0831274bf328050fa84e2ee9da490ee3.gif

So I can't really judge 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MarathonGuy1337 said:

Cowboy Bebop, Death Note and... Naruto?

Odd combination sure but then again I watched shows ranging from Monster to The Humanoid.

0831274bf328050fa84e2ee9da490ee3.gif

So I can't really judge 

My father is a odd one :P he really showed me the shows he enjoyed, but as I grew up I developed a love for 90's animes, and more classics than anything 

• Cool (Kakkoii) 3

1 hour ago, deaaath said:

My father is a odd one :P he really showed me the shows he enjoyed, but as I grew up I developed a love for 90's animes, and more classics than anything 

You mentioned in another threat you like Scfi, have you ever checked out Evangelion. That was a 90s show, and might be up your street. Its only 26 episodes plus a film. Other than that there's a few adult swim shows that have a distinct 90s vibe to say they were made in the 00s; that would be Wolf Rain and Blue Gender and possibly Black Lagoon. 

1 minute ago, MediaConsumesMe said:

You mentioned in another threat you like Scfi, have you ever checked out Evangelion. That was a 90s show, and might be up your street. Its only 26 episodes plus a film. Other than that there's a few adult swim shows that have a distinct 90s vibe to say they were made in the 00s; that would be Wolf Rain and Blue Gender and possibly Black Lagoon. 

Yes I have checked out Evangelion! It's great, and I absolutely love it. I have heard of Black Lagoon, I've been wanting to watch it, it's on my list. And the others you recommended i'll take a look at B) 

• Cool (Kakkoii) 1

6 minutes ago, deaaath said:

Yes I have checked out Evangelion! It's great, and I absolutely love it. I have heard of Black Lagoon, I've been wanting to watch it, it's on my list. And the others you recommended i'll take a look at B) 

Yeah Evangelion is pretty much a stable in anime culture. Wolfs Rain and Blue Gender are less well known but came about during that Adult Swim period. I think Blue Gender is 1999 and Wolf Rain was 2003 or 04. But despite them not being as well known (okay Blue Gender is nearly completely unknown) they are pretty good. Have you watched much anime from 00s to 10s?

4 minutes ago, MediaConsumesMe said:

Yeah Evangelion is pretty much a stable in anime culture. Wolfs Rain and Blue Gender are less well known but came about during that Adult Swim period. I think Blue Gender is 1999 and Wolf Rain was 2003 or 04. But despite them not being as well known (okay Blue Gender is nearly completely unknown) they are pretty good. Have you watched much anime from 00s to 10s?

I have watched plenty of Animes from the 00's to the 10's, Like samurai champloo, blood+ and so on. I have more, but we'd be here awhile if I was to list them all. I haven't heard of Blue Gender though, I will take a look at that!

16 minutes ago, deaaath said:

I have watched plenty of Animes from the 00's to the 10's, Like samurai champloo, blood+ and so on. I have more, but we'd be here awhile if I was to list them all. I haven't heard of Blue Gender though, I will take a look at that!

Okay cool, yeah Samurai Champloo on my list. Haven't got round to it yet. I've only watched anime for just over a year, but I've watched a decent variety of shows. The one time period of the medium I've not been able to get is 70s or 80s anime. For some reason all the ones I've sat through have been really boring or poorly paced. But that's just me, sure there must be a show in that entire period which I'd like, I just haven't seen it yet. 

• Cool (Kakkoii) 1

Ah deaaath you like Sci-Fi shows well then have you ever checked out the many classic mech series. Mobile Suit Gundam is an obvious shows to watch, I personally prefer the U.C. continuity, O.G. series thought to Char Counterattack, with the best being probably Zeta Gundam. If you aren't a big fan of like older titles their are some excellent OVA titles from that timeline like War in the Pocket and the short anime series of Operation Stardust Memory and 8th MS Team.

311367554_giphy(2).gif.52aedcce72040cf51072c97e3d766060.gif

Beyond Mech I'd recommend easily Space Battleship Yamato 2199 and also both the remake of Legend of the Galactic Heroes Die Neue Thesis and the OG OVA series from the 80's, currently watching that and having a blast. Mind you I also want to check out Heavy Metal L-Gaim and Blue Comet SPT Layzne (Super Underrated). Also if you liked Eva you'd might want to check out Aim for the Top: Gunbuster! and whilst I'm at it also if you haven't seen The Irresponsible Captain Taylor and Outlaw Star you'd probably want to check them out as they are both wacky and awesome sci-fi comedy/adventure shows. 

tenor.gif?itemid=15033412

K

Edited by MarathonGuy1337