New Urusei Yatsura 2022!!

Otaking66lives

I’d posted a link to an article about it in the anime news & discussion topic when it was announced over the weekend.

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2021/12/31-1/classic-anime-urusei-yatsura-gets-all-star-new-tv-series-in-2022-at-david-production

While I can see Nagatoro voicing Lum, I ‘m skeptical of Levi (Attack on Titan) as Ataru 🤨 

1 hour ago, MediaConsumesMe said:

I must be showing my youth... what's Urusei Yatsura?

It has at least 2 claims to fame (or infamy, based on your tastes :P )

1. It’s one of the earliest examples of the harem romcom with an unrepentant skirt chaser as the male lead.

2. Non-Asian anime noobs or casual viewers will largely find it weird & not get a lot of the humor because a lot of it are play on word of the Japanese language & references to mythical beings in Japanese folklore (oni, karasu-tengu, yuki-onna) which are portrayed as alien races in the series.

I’ve only seen some of the earliest episodes of the original series & the one movie (Beautiful Dreamer), but didn’t really care for it. It’s by the same mangaka as Ranma 1/2 (which was one of the earliest uncut series I watched some of back in my VHS days) & Inuyasha (one of my 2022 resolutions is to make some progress on that one). But I think both those series are more accessible/enjoyable to Western audiences. I’m certain I’ll give the new series a look out of curiosity, but doubt I’ll spend much time on it since I have less tolerance for harem series than I did in my youth & I personally find the shameless pervert trope more annoying than the cluelessly dense one as far as MCs go.

Edited by Ohayotaku
  • Informative 1

11 minutes ago, Ohayotaku said:

but doubt I’ll spend much time on it since I have less tolerance for harem series than I did in my youth & I personally find the shameless pervert trope more annoying than the cluelessly dense one as far as MCs go.

Yeah, I not been able to get into Harem anime. I just find it too weird. At the end of the day I only need one Waifu and that is Saber-chan

12 minutes ago, Otaking66lives said:

The anime about Lum, the oni girl in the tiger striped bikini.

Yeah see I didn't know that

For all the hype around Lum as one of anime’s premiere waifus, if I had to choose a favorite from the UY girls, it would probably be Benten, the badass space biker & one of Lum’s BFFs.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Ohayotaku

For me, this is a nostalgia trip...back in the days when anime was like the wild west...anything was fair game...true it's ideas and tropes are outdated, but what do you expect from a series that was born in the early 1980s? All I can hope is that Takahashi-sensei updates the show for modern viewers a bit...

3 hours ago, MarathonGuy1337 said:

(Silently add to MyAnimeList)

Hey, no judgement from me, I’ve just grown a bit weary of the formula, though UY & Tenchi Muyo are largely credited as the progenitors.  And I think back in the day it’s humor was a way for otaku/weebs to feel they had something over normies for not getting the references/jokes :P 

Edited by Ohayotaku

23 minutes ago, Ohayotaku said:

Hey, no judgement from me, I’ve just grown a bit weary of the formula, though UY & Tenchi Muyo are largely credited as the progenitors.  And I think back in the day it was a way for otaku/weebs to feel they had something over normies for not getting the references/jokes :P 

I understand...but UY was one of my first subtitled forays into anime. I...can't not watch! Lol!!

• Like 1