anime that got you hooked

Ristic

Not entirely sure how to interpret the question. Star Blazers was the one that really opened my eyes to the potential for a “cartoon” to tell a coherent story about grown-up subject matters with actual character development. And it would eventually be the series that first made me aware that anime is actually produced in another country with different cultural & historical perspectives (the whole Argo/Yamato thing). Though that realization would come many years later.

2 hours ago, Ristic said:

anime culture ? 

As far as an introduction  to the quirky weirdness that characterizes otaku “culture”, probably Project A-ko as it was full of satire & parody. And it was one of the first uncut/unedited anime I watched.

Edited by Ohayotaku

• 2 weeks later...

I saw a couple of episodes of 3X3 Eyes on TV back in 1996, then about a week later found the whole series on VHS in the local record shop. I followed 3x3 Eyes with Gal Force New Era, and that was it..... I've been buying and watching anime ever since.

• 7 months later...

Sword Art Online. I watched the first season (completely oblivious of the existence of the next few seasons) and I just fell in love. I had a watched a few anime before it, but not many and SAO just instantly hooked me in. I loved the concept and just everything. In fact, I probably got too obsessed. I also got obsessed with Pokémon: Indigo League at the time, so these two anime were the only things I would talk about.

It was always Kirito this, Team Rocket that, and I think my friends just got SO sick of it. I have no idea how I didn't pick up on that at the time. But yeah, SAO basically consumed my life and tbh I'm grateful. If I hadn't gotten into SAO, I mightn't have gotten into anima at all!

Edited by KaiyaSaysHaiya

My very first anime was Ninja Scroll that my big sis' had in her collection I watched when I was by myself at home. I didn't know what it was though, but it was so awesome when I saw it! Like total eye candy! I wonder if anyone even noticed I watched it though. lol

82z8OzS.gif

Edited by Otaku Gamer