You know you're in the future when...

efaardvark

An electrical/automotive engineering guy by the name of Charles Kettering once said, "My interest is in the future because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  What's it going to be like?  Flying cars?  Mars colonies?  Directed-energy weapons for the military?  (Or Fedex, see below.)  I thought I'd create a topic for news and chat about the future.  Whether you're thinking it'll be dystopic or boring or utopic or whatever, share your thoughts.  Just one rule: keep it real.  Mild speculation is ok but talk about actual events or scientific/engineering know-how is preferred.

I'll start things off with this news item..

Fedex is asking the US Federal Aviation Administration for permission to install anti-missile lasers on their airplanes.

How'd you like to be the guy at the FAA who opened the envelope containing that request?  "Um.. Boss, how do we handle this one?"  :D

• Like 1

This is a simple one, but how we went from Automobiles being a RARE thing to own, to now having Teslas that SELF DRIVE. Considering this, we went from simple to -- where do I begin?
Cars nowadays are so advanced, they have their own COMPUTERS inside. Which is not surprising. Another thing...is when the self-driving cars can look around their surroundings and tell you when to stop, or make their own stop, it's amazing. Cars being able to detect the outside world now, is really more advanced than we think...considering how we went from this in only 129 years. Which might seem long, but from the Industrialization period to now, it's really not. 

That's my little take on this :) 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Irsich
      A discussion of any piece of Soukyuu no Fafner media out there- perhaps how you liked it, what you thought could've been better...

• By efaardvark
      Not quite The Expanse but good practice for converting all those other dwarf planets in the outer solar system into habitats. If the field of such bodies extends out into the Oort cloud as well then we have a LOT of habitat-building to do.
      https://arxiv.org/abs/2011.07487

• By Tom Sable
      How many of you have seen Godzilla Anime Trilogy? From what I've read, these movies are heavily divisive among the fans and general audience. Me and my friend watched all of them in the same day. There definitely were a lot of flaws we could see, but we could see a lot of merit these movies bring to the Godzilla mythos with fresh, unique ideas and concepts. We made a video where discussed in detail about all three movies, giving our individual scores in each area what worked or didn't work for us, before giving the overall final score: 

What did all of you think of these movies? I sometimes feel like that the hate from the general audience came because they were expecting something similar to those two recent American Godzilla movies, with their catering towards "fan service" and entertaining action scenes. Do these movies deserve all the scrutiny they get, or is there something more to them?
    • By TripleZeta
      What Gory Anime should I watch? Since both are relatively short, Elfin Lied, Or Genocyber?

• By tipsyPreacher
      Hello , 
      As the title says i am looking for anime with witty story telling and script similar to the Monogatari series and Denpa Onna to seishun otoko(Ground Control to Psychoelectric Girl)
      If you have seen these two or either one of them you should understand the gist of what i am trying to get at.Kindly help me if you can