Jump to content

Divisive Anime


Recommended Posts

What anime have you seen or heard about which is seemingly divisive. This is not to say universally panned, or somthing you don't like but rather a show or film that has a split community some seeing it as... Not good and others who claim it's a masterpiece.  

The one I immediately think of is Madoka Magica Rebellion it seems when that sequel film hit it caused many a magical girl fan to despair. It also seems to have a fair amount of defenders. 

In fact nowadays it seems to have more defenders than detractors. 

As I watched it about a week after the show, I saw it as a perfect continuation. Yet when I went online to look up critiques I saw tones of videos defending the film, and a nice amount if comments calling the film terrible because 'it ruined the characters'. 

So that certainly one divisive anime I can think off. Obvious Evangelions original ending or the endless eight arcs are certainly another two. 

But what other divisive anime can you guys on here think off?

Edited by MediaConsumesMe
Spelling
Link to comment
Share on other sites

To be honest, any and every anime falls into this category. Even if it is "universally acclaimed", there will always be detractors who will argue until the end of time why it sucks. Views are subjective to the viewer. The easiest ones to use as examples are titles like Bleach, Naruto, One Piece etc. Some fans argue just because of the broad release of a title. People who were fans of DBZ back in the day, suddenly started saying it's bad just because it was now on Toonami, and was no longer "anime for otaku only". As Stone Cold Steve Austin used to say, "D.T.A. Don't Trust Anybody". Watch for yourself and make up your mind.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Otaking66lives said:

To be honest, any and every anime falls into this category. Even if it is "universally acclaimed", there will always be detractors who will argue until the end of time why it sucks. Views are subjective to the viewer. The easiest ones to use as examples are titles like Bleach, Naruto, One Piece etc. Some fans argue just because of the broad release of a title. People who were fans of DBZ back in the day, suddenly started saying it's bad just because it was now on Toonami, and was no longer "anime for otaku only". As Stone Cold Steve Austin used to say, "D.T.A. Don't Trust Anybody". Watch for yourself and make up your mind.

That's an interesting factoid about Dragon Ball Z. Crazy to think if it gets even a little more reach, some people would write the show off. 

I didn't really think of the big three from back in the day, but I suppose they also are pretty divisive anime. I mean a lot of people trash on them, due to there length and the sheer volume of filler present in the shows. However because there a gateway anime for many they often have a special place for many. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Any Ginax Show;

See the source image

Ginax Fans, hold on this is coming from someone that actually enjoys them. Be it Eva, Gurren Lagann or FLCL theirs always people defending them as misunderstood master pieces and then other tearing them to shreds.

Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ and Char Counterattack always are seen as divisive though for different reasons, ZZ starts of more comedic and less dark in tone compared to where Zeta began and ended and Chars Counterattack is also a lot more stripped back from where Zeta and Zeta Zeta left off almost felling like it was trying its best to be a continuation of the original series so I can see these reasons for why they are divisive in the community.

Also Golden Time, it has both a load of people that really love it and then a whole load of other people that don't enjoy it mainly sighting "Ghost Banri" 

I remember this only briefly but the remake for Legend of the Galactic Heroes was also a bit hated on when it first came out mainly because of suitable change in art style and a few arcs and episodes being cut , with a greater focus on specific characters and spectacle, however I love both (currently watching the OG OVA)

See the source image

I know its like I'm a figure from myth or legend when I say that it's okay to like both shows 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/18/2022 at 5:40 AM, MediaConsumesMe said:

I didn't really think of the big three from back in the day, but I suppose they also are pretty divisive anime. I mean a lot of people trash on them, due to there length and the sheer volume of filler present in the shows. However because there a gateway anime for many they often have a special place for many

I’m inclined to think Naruto is the most divisive of that group, largely on the basis of the particularly offensive nickname given to it’s fandom back in the day

 

”Narutards”

. I don’t think the term is used as frequently online as it was, but still a significant part of the anime community tends to regard the anime as generic & uninspired. But yet a number of people still list it as one of their favorites & the fact that it’s still ongoing shows it must have some appeal.

Sword Art Online is another series that seems to have a fanbase that adores it while many others consider it overhyped. I never finished Alicization, but understood it was supposed to be the finale. But now they’re making an alternate movie version of the first season.

I’d also like to point out that a number of anime can be divisive because of the MC’s personality and/or motivation inspires strong opinions. Examples: Light Yagami (Death Note), Shinji Akari (Evangelion), Natsuki Subaru (ReZero), Shiro Emiya (Fate Stay Night). And Eren Jaeger (Attack on Titan) seems to have become increasingly divisive as the final season airs . Finally, although not the MC, I’ve heard many people say that Zenitsu ruins Demon Slayer for them.

Edited by Ohayotaku
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Ohayotaku said:

I’m inclined to think Naruto is the most divisive of that group, largely on the basis of the particularly offensive nickname given to it’s fandom back in the day

  Reveal hidden contents

”Narutards”

. I don’t think the term is used as frequently online as it was, but still a significant part of the anime community tends to regard the anime as generic & uninspired. But yet a number of people still list it as one of their favorites & the fact that it’s still ongoing shows it must have some appeal.

Yeah I've heard often people claim that Naruto ripped off Hunter X Hunter - but I haven't seen both so I don't like to presume negative things about a show I haven't watched. I think some people might confuse an anime playing to conventions within a specific genre (such as power-level or tournament arcs but even other aspects such as character archetypes) as stealing from older titles. At least that the only thing I can thing off as why someone might accuse an anime of stealing from another anime. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...