in what order should I watch fate series?

kage_heroin

Hi, a few years ago I watched Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works and I wanted to watch it again and all the other publications.

Besides Fate/stay night (after watching Unlimited Blade Works, I just couldn't handle the bad graphics. It was destroying my precious memories of Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works):

(no manga) which of the other anime series and movies of Fate are there? And in which order should I watch them (besides Fate/Stay Night)?

is Fate/Apocrypha the last one?

I’m pretty sure Fate Zero is the first in the continuity and that Grand Order & the Netflix exclusive titles aren’t directly connected to the main story, but I could be wrong. @MediaConsumesMe seems to be the resident expert on the Fate series, so hopefully he or someone else can steer you in the right direction (and won’t be mad about the namedrop :P )

Well, just so happens I might be an unexpected expert because despite not knowing anything about Fate a year ago or much about anime I now know quite a lot. So Fate Unlimited Blade Works is the second of three routes - each route is a different timeline but all are canon. 

Route one is Fate Stay Night (adapted by studio deen as the 2006 anime), I know its older and not as nice looking but give it a try anyway if you can the story is good and it's for Saber who naturally is best girl

Route two is Fate Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works, you've watched this so you're solid 

Route three is Fate Stay Night Heaven Feel, this is the final route and is the Sakura (girl with the purple hair) focused route. I've watched all but the last film, Spring Song, so don't tell me what happens but it looks good. 

Now you've finished stay night so next you can watch Fate Zero, this is basically the prequel (think Star Wars but no 'I hate sand' lines). This is probably the best Fate Anime, so this is the highlight.

Next you've got a couple choices but watch in what ever order you want; 

Fate Apocrypha - deviated from the main timeline before Fate Zero, though the events of Fate Zero did happen to some extent. That not why you watch Fate Apocrypha you watch it for Astolfo, Mordred and Jenna (in that order). 

Fate Grand Order - this one its own universe deviating from the main timeline around Fate Stay Night, start with the movie First Order, then watch Camalot Movie Duology, then watch Fate Grand Order Absolute Demonic Front Babylonia (Gilgamesh is the main man so awesomeness ensues) and finish off with Solomon movie.

Fate Extra - a short thirteen episode series, it features Nero Claudius (also called Red Saber - but not Saber of Red who is Mordred), this one is also the only anime that was written by Nasu (trivial factoid done). 

Finally if you're this far, Fate Prototype, this is a short one episode OVA - it based of the prototype timeline where Arthur was a man not a women. Its a cool what if, but its very short being only twelve minutes long. 

And now officially you've watched all of Fates anime, there's a few others I haven't seen. There's the Iyla series (which is magical girls three seasons plus a film called Oath Under Snow) and a few more slice of life stuff such as Carnival Phantasm, Grand Carnival and What's on the menu for the Emyia household (think that's the name). 

5 hours ago, Ohayotaku said:

@MediaConsumesMe seems to be the resident expert on the Fate series, so hopefully he or someone else can steer you in the right direction (and won’t be mad about the namedrop :P )

You're right, I'm a huge expert on Fate because, I have no idea how it happened but I am

Edited by MediaConsumesMe
Didn't finish it

So basically:

1.reconsider watching Fate/Stay Night 2006 (I hope battle scenes are good)

2. watch Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works again (because I want to)

3. watch the Fate Stay Night Heaven Feel movie series

4. then I can watch Fate Zero

5. after that, I'll watch Fate Apocrypha, Fate Grand Order, Fate Extra is the order I want

6. after that, watch the OVA Fate Prototype

there is also mention of a few others that I'll find and watch in correct order (if necessary)

21 minutes ago, kage_heroin said:

So basically:

1.reconsider watching Fate/Stay Night 2006 (I hope battle scenes are good)

2. watch Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works again (because I want to)

3. watch the Fate Stay Night Heaven Feel movie series

4. then I can watch Fate Zero

5. after that, I'll watch Fate Apocrypha, Fate Grand Order, Fate Extra is the order I want

6. after that, watch the OVA Fate Prototype

there is also mention of a few others that I'll find and watch in correct order (if necessary)

Up to prototype is what could be considered (canon) in the fate multiverse - though I bet the Magical Girls spinoff is also canon too cause it pops up in Grand Order's Mobile RPG. And I forgot one show lord el-melloi ii case files, I think they released a special recently. But that is a sequel to Fate Zero following one of the characters that survives the events of the show (not going to ruin who). So that something else in Fate.

There's other shows as well, along with some movies but those aren't fate but adaptations of other Type Moon Visual Novels - I haven't seen any of those, so no idea to the quality. Currently I'm hoping they announce either an adaptation of one of the Cosmos of the Lostbelt arcs for an adaptation, a true adaptation of Fate Prototype or best of all would be an announcement to start adapting the first half of Fate Strange Fake - cause any of those would be gold as far as I'm concerned. 

This is the show I remember finding out about; Lunar Legend Tsukihime

Its an adaptation of the Tsukihime anime, the game Melty Blood is related to it. I've never sat through it so it might be an interesting watch.

Edited by MediaConsumesMe

36 minutes ago, MediaConsumesMe said:

Up to prototype is what could be considered (canon) in the fate multiverse - though I bet the Magical Girls spinoff is also canon too cause it pops up in Grand Order's Mobile RPG. And I forgot one show lord el-melloi ii case files, I think they released a special recently. But that is a sequel to Fate Zero following one of the characters that survives the events of the show (not going to ruin who). So that something else in Fate.

There's other shows as well, along with some movies but those aren't fate but adaptations of other Type Moon Visual Novels - I haven't seen any of those, so no idea to the quality. Currently I'm hoping they announce either an adaptation of one of the Cosmos of the Lostbelt arcs for an adaptation, a true adaptation of Fate Prototype or best of all would be an announcement to start adapting the first half of Fate Strange Fake - cause any of those would be gold as far as I'm concerned. 

This is the show I remember finding out about; Lunar Legend Tsukihime

Its an adaptation of the Tsukihime anime, the game Melty Blood is related to it. I've never sat through it so it might be an interesting watch.

That's amazing, thanx for the reply. I've put them all in my list (I keep many documents)

• Cool (Kakkoii) 1