Better second time around?

Animedragon

Do you find that an anime is better the second time you watch it?
What I find is that first time round I'm following the plot carefully, but the second time I know what happens so I notice the little details and usually enjoy the series more.

Does anyone else find this?

1 hour ago, Animedragon said:

Do you find that an anime is better the second time you watch it?
What I find is that first time round I'm following the plot carefully, but the second time I know what happens so I notice the little details and usually enjoy the series more.

Does anyone else find this?

I think one that strongly comes to mind is; Madoka Magica, I appreciated that show even more the second time round. However the same could be said for shows like Monster and Ergo Proxy. I think that genre or niche of Anime generally only get better on re-watch because you pick up on things you missed the first time. 

1 hour ago, MediaConsumesMe said:

I think one that strongly comes to mind is; Madoka Magica, I appreciated that show even more the second time round.

I agree about Madoka Magica. It's so very different to the usual magical girl series and it's not until you watch it a second time that you start to understand the relationships, situations and motivations of the various characters.

2 hours ago, Animedragon said:

I agree about Madoka Magica. It's so very different to the usual magical girl series and it's not until you watch it a second time that you start to understand the relationships, situations and motivations of the various characters.

I'd never seen any Magical Girl show before, but I had heard this one was different. I think I originally gave it a 7 or 8 but on re-watch I bumped it up to a 9 alongside Rebellion. Also never got why back in the day fans got so angry about Rebellion. That movie was a perfect follow on from the series, in my opinion makes the entire series better. 

A variation on the theme:
Have you ever bought a new series and after the first few episodes thought "why did I buy this" and then changed your mind about it by the time you've watched all of it?

Well I have. Here's a couple of examples from my recent(ish) acquisitions:

First up: Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions. I purchased this series having seen a couple of clips from it on YouTube and it looked interesting, but by episode 5 I was beginning to think I'd made a mistake buying it because the episodes appeared crazy and made no sense. But I stayed with it and by the end of the series I liked it enough to buy the second series and the final movie. I rewatched the series a couple of month's later and found that because I now knew the whole story those crazy first few episodes were important to introduce the characters and their personalities.

Next up: Golden Time.  When I first watched this I thought it was a series of unrelated one-off story episodes with no overall  storyline but as I continued with the series I realised that there was an overall storyline, but it seemed to stumble along and take a long time to get going.  I enjoyed the series much more the second time round because I knew the backgrounds of the characters so their actions and reactions made a lot more sense.

Does anyone else want to share similar examples?

• 3 weeks later...

"A Silent Voice"

I bought this film because I have a friend who is deaf and I was interested to see how it handled a deaf character. But I have to admit that I wasn't over impressed with the film. I understand why Shoya Ishida set out to make deaf new girl Shoko Nishimya's school life miserable, and I understand that when the teachers step in, the ringleader of the bullies can quickly find themselves being shunned.

The story moves on a few years and Shoya is a bit older and trying to see Shoko again but his motives aren't very clearly explained nor are the actions of his former classmates when he and Shoko meet them. I  also felt that the film didn't really explain the blue crosses on everyone's faces. Shoko's suicide attempt also seemed to come compleatly out of nowhere, one minute she's happily watching fireworks the next she's going to jump off a balcony and kill herself.

Having watched the film twice I couldn't really understand why everyone was saying what a great film it was, what was I missing?  Eventually I found a YouTube video about the film and having watched this I watched the film a third time and now agree that it is indeed a good film, but I think a it could have made a better job of explaining Shoya and Shoko's motivations for their actions.

In conclusion I think the problem with the film is that it tried to put too big a story into too short a time, it would I think have been much better as a 13 part series where there would have been time to fuly explore and develop Shoya and Shoko's personal circumstances, characters, motivations and interactions with the other characters in the the story. Thinking about it, this film comes across to me as one of those films that attempt to compress a 5 hour TV series into a 90 minute film with the result that some important plot details get omitted.

People with "invisible" disabilities like deafness often face an uphill battle in our modern world and Kyoto Animation are to be commended for creating a film to highlight the issues such people face and a daily basis.

K-On! Nothing complex, I liked season 2 better but watching S1 a second time doubled the good feelingsThis kind of anime brightens my day! 

March Comes in Like a Lion. The first time I saw this, I was distracted by classes and work and couldn't appreciate it until later. 

• Like 2