Has anyone tried making a website?

Optic

Has anyone tried making a website? If so, what was the first website you ever created?

My first website was a Pokémon fansite when it was a craze during its first series, in the days of Dial-up! I remember putting dozens of animated GIFs, background MIDIs and video downloads were revolutionary back then! All this hosted by my ISP who gave a complimentary 10 MB at the time. :P

Edited by Guest

I guess mine was some random story site which I hosted on Geocities...

Alas... Geocities is no more...! ;)

I'm really curious to see what your first site would have looked like, Optic compared to the first few layouts of TDFN. I wonder if the site design for the Pokemon site looked really bad :P

By today's standards yes it definitely wasn't polished!

Keep in mind though back then web standards were not strict at all back then. Your website could look very different on Internet Explorer and Netscape Navigator and Opera... mainly because a lot of people (guilty as charged) at the time were using Internet Explorer only tags (naturally it was the most popular since Internet Explorer was included on every Windows PC since Windows 95). I remember the "Best viewed in Internet Explorer" taglines very well. :lol:

Did you ever make a website Caroline?

My firs page was on geocities too :Đ it was about Digimon Tamers :Đ I think it's name was Digimon Tamers Garten? ;đ

I remember that I was really happy to find geocities, because I always wanted to have a website ;D

• Like 1

Do you remember those free subdomains? .tk for example. ;)

And the number of different search engines back then before Google! MSN Search, Lycos, Altavista, Ask Jeeves... there were so many...

For me it was exciting to finally get paid hosting and a real domain.

oh yes! I had .cs ;D

And I made my Taiora and Daikari page on freewebs (at the beginning ;D)

we have 2 slovenian search engines and I was using them at the beginning xD but google is the best <3

I always thought that the domain is too expensive for me. ;I

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

At first I had only a forum about Digimon but the topic is about the first website, so... my first there was a Digimon website too, with infos about the anime, the games etc. - it was called Digimon Wired, it was an old website of a friend at first but we had make it complete new. Our team consisted of three members, a little bit later four. And later again we had fused with other german Digimon fansites to the current one.

Here an old picture of Digimon Wired, it was... yeah red, really red xD (the content of the site isn't shown because the picture was made after the site was offline, only an few files was uploaded again for the design to take a picture of it)

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Back when I was a super-extreme hyperactive otaku, I made a forum with one of my best friends whom I met on AnimeChains. Our forum was a Forumer free site called Nekoland, and honestly it grew really well. Of course, back then we didn't really have as many choices for free software as we do now, and as a 16-year-old I didn't have many methods of earning money, so I couldn't pay for hosting or anything like that.

Back when I was a super-extreme hyperactive otaku, I made a forum with one of my best friends whom I met on AnimeChains. Our forum was a Forumer free site called Nekoland, and honestly it grew really well. Of course, back then we didn't really have as many choices for free software as we do now, and as a 16-year-old I didn't have many methods of earning money, so I couldn't pay for hosting or anything like that.

Interesting success story. ^^ Would that forum happen to still be around?

If not, maybe it's in the Internet wayback archive?

• 5 months later...

I had a small, Flash-based personal website called VaLeNet back in I don't even, 2005 maybe?

Then came my fansites, but (of course) only Digimon Backup grew to become anything. When I started that even a fifth series seemed like a vain dream...

These were all on free hosting of course, gone for good (though you can still check them on the way back machine).