Proxy / VPN

Columbus

I have a question.

Do any of you protect your privacy on the internet with proxies or VPN's?

Search engines, forums ,and websites can trace your IP as well as your email to where you've been and as far back as your Internet service provider goes.

I've been a huge victim of cyber bullying and this is my motivation as well as determination to be anonymous on the web. I've also been hacked multiple times on my computer. Ever since I've done my homework and started using proxies and vpn services. I've had less trouble and less worry.

Tor / Cyber Ghost / Finch/ proxy4free.com are amazing to use as well as having peerblock to blot out other things from connecting to your computer. But most of all. I'm a huge Tor user and I feel that my privacy comes first.

I also feel that the NSA has gotten worse, if not more nosy about what we all do on the Internet. So, It makes me want more privacy.

Hm... not really. I just use Ghostery + HTTPS Everywhere extensions. As with those, my traffic is encrypted whenever possible, and trackers are gone unless I whitelist a site. This combination seems to work well for me.

• 1 month later...
I have a question.

Do any of you protect your privacy on the internet with proxies or VPN's?

Search engines, forums ,and websites can trace your IP as well as your email to where you've been and as far back as your Internet service provider goes.

I've been a huge victim of cyber bullying and this is my motivation as well as determination to be anonymous on the web. I've also been hacked multiple times on my computer. Ever since I've done my homework and started using proxies and vpn services. I've had less trouble and less worry.

Tor / Cyber Ghost / Finch/ proxy4free.com are amazing to use as well as having peerblock to blot out other things from connecting to your computer. But most of all. I'm a huge Tor user and I feel that my privacy comes first.

I also feel that the NSA has gotten worse, if not more nosy about what we all do on the Internet. So, It makes me want more privacy.

So, I actually changed my mind for several reasons, and am using a VPN now. It is called TunnelBear. I decided to go for the paid account which is $50/year which gives you unlimited data usage (as free is 500/MB a month).

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Yep, I (usually) use a VPN, only times I don't is when I'm logging into an account that panics whenever you sign in from an unrecognized device/hates VPNs (like stupid Netflix).

Word of warning though to anyone that may read this, if you're going to use a VPN (and I highly recommend you do), don't use something free. That's worse than simply not using one. Your data is collected, it's sold, and you're much less secure. Go buy PIA if you want something ridiculously cheap.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

Go buy PIA if you want something ridiculously cheap.

I can second this. I'm not a full-time proxy user, but I do make use of PIA for accessing Youtube content that's blocked in the US, as well as on my infrequent forays into torrenting. Zero complaints about their speed or anything else.

• Like 1

If i want to protect my real location and stuff like that on certain websites i use a vpn from like germany or something but mainly i use vpns for accessing websites like american netflix since i'm australian.