Another masterpiece directed by Makato Shinkai?

Mazino

I've seen this pop up in my youtube feeds recently, looks promising and the art style also seems fairly familar, no surprises here I suppose, since the movie is directed by Makoto Shinkai.

So what's your take on this guys, feel free to write down your opinions or expectations based on the trailer. 

• Like 3

From the trailer it looks like another potential masterpiece from Makoto Shinkai.

I say "potential" because while I quite liked his previous film "Weathering with You" I thought that the police chase was unnecessary padding and dragged the storyline down. The film was not, in my view, as good as "Your Name".

I'll certainly be looking forward to seeing this new film, but I probably won't get to see it until sometime next year when it's released on DVD/Blu-Ray.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mazino said:

I've seen this pop up in my youtube feeds recently, looks promising and the art style also seems fairly familar, no surprises here I suppose, since the movie is directed by Makoto Shinkai.

That's how I came across this movie as well. I'll be looking out for it because it does seem interesting and I like the art style! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Animedragon said:

From the trailer it looks like another potential masterpiece from Makoto Shinkai.

I say "potential" because while I quite liked his previous film "Weathering with You" I thought that the police chase was unnecessary padding and dragged the storyline down. The film was not, in my view, as good as "Your Name".

Totally agree. I liked the theme of "Weathering with You" though but yeah it was dragged out a little too much. 

Anyways, I like the fact they didn't show the face of the male character. (protagonist?) I'm so much more interested in whether this will branch into the romance genre (currently it seems to be only fantasy) just like "Your name & Weathering with you". Also, the idea with the door sounds interesting. Obviously, Makoto Shinkai's way of story-telling, art style etc..are his trademark & it's crowd pleasing as well. Just like how Studio Ghibli have its own way of doing things which is unique.

Edited by Mazino
  • Like 1