what are some 'good' anime you found bad

Riley_Uchiha

Despite the length of their runs & the size of their fandoms, whatever the appeal of Naruto & Bleach are, it’s lost on me. Granted I tend to burn out on most shonen series even if I enjoyed them to start, but that usually doesn’t set in until around the ep 75 - 100 range. I dropped Fairy Tail & Black Clover sooner, but still found them enjoyable enough that there’s a decent chance I’ll revisit them someday. But I only made it to around a dozen episodes of Bleach & less for Naruto and even that felt like a chore.

Outside of shonen, I frequently see Kanon & Angel Beats listed as people’s favorites, but despite watching them I honestly don’t remember anything specific to the stories.

edit: I actually do remembered some things about Kanon: some sort of repeated allegory about a dango (jaoanese snackfood) family; some sort of festival centered around stars/starfish; one girl was always saying “Gao” ( or was that Air 😅 )

Edited by Ohayotaku

A lot of people really like Re;Zero and when I watched it I thought it was okay. I'd not watched much Anime at that point, just dipped my toes in Fate and maybe Ergo Proxy so I was very new. I went to watch the second series and I gave up on episode three, I chalked it up to Re;Zero having left so little impact on me that I didn't really care about the story. Then again I find Iseaki for the most part pretty unwatchable, I tried Shield Hero and I gave up on the third episode. 

Then there's Gundam. And this is not at jab at the overall franchise - some series I've enjoyed such as War in the Pocket, Origin. But the original series was really underwhelming. So overall I like Gundam when it more mature but am uninterested when it goes for a more 'clone wars' style demographic. 

Good anime which I found bad that's a difficult question 

See the source image

Either way time to start a fandom war in the comment!

I remember not really enjoying the original Space Battleship Yamato (1974) anime series.

See the source image

I'm not sure if it was the fact I watched the remake first, which and lets be honest better visuals. Mind you I think that was the case of a really bad and dated dub that I watched and maybe it's better subbed. 

Puella Magi Madoka Magic was another one that a friend, thinking of you MediaConsumesMe showed me and I didn't really enjoy it either but I think that's probably because I don't really care for Magical Girls 

See the source image

Sorry Madoka fans!

This one might be because I never watched any magical girl shows before IDK 

One more was Ergo Proxy, like it started off great but kind of lost itself near the middle sort of like Evangelion... but still

See the source image

It could have also been because I ended up pausing watching the show partway though due to coursework at the time so that probably had an impact on my initial viewing.

Mind you I do want to re-watch most of these as I feel like I must have missed something, as they are all considered some variation of Retro-Classic, Cult Classic and Modern Classic. 

1 hour ago, Ohayotaku said:

edit: I actually do remembered some things about Kanon: some sort of repeated allegory about a dango (jaoanese snackfood) family; some sort of festival centered around stars/starfish; one girl was always saying “Gao” ( or was that Air 😅 )

The series with the Dango and the girl with a starfish obsession is Clanad. The one where the girl is always saying "Gao" is indeed Air.

Kanon is a series with some rather weird storylines. When I first saw it I thought is was a good series, then a few years later I decided I didn't like it, now a few years later on again it's one of my favouries.

Air is one of those series I really can't get my head round. It's a good story up to a point, I really don't understand how or why the main guy became a bird to my mind that ruins an otherwise good story. Then there's the second series that makes no sense at all. I think the main problem is that the series was too short to tell the story properly.

@Animedragon so it’s actually 3 different series I’m confusing with each other (pretty clear indication of how much of an impression they made on me, even though I’m pretty sure Kanon & Clanad at least are considered popular)

On 5/4/2022 at 7:50 PM, MarathonGuy1337 said:

Puella Magi Madoka Magic was another one that a friend, thinking of you MediaConsumesMe showed me and I didn't really enjoy it either but I think that's probably because I don't really care for Magical Girls 

See the source image

Sorry Madoka fans!

See the source image

I'm not crying, it just raining inside. 

• Sad 2

On 5/4/2022 at 2:50 PM, MarathonGuy1337 said:

Puella Magi Madoka Magic

19 minutes ago, MediaConsumesMe said:

I'm not crying, it just raining inside

I enjoyed Madoka, but Magia Record nit so much. Though I only watched the 1st season & am considering binging it from the start now that it’s over.

On 5/4/2022 at 2:50 PM, MarathonGuy1337 said:

I remember not really enjoying the original Space Battleship Yamato (1974) anime series

The animation & english dub are definitely dated by modern standards. A lot of my love for it is definitely colored by nostalgia as it was my introduction to anime. Also need to remember that it aired on American tv at a time when “cartoons” were largely defined by Loony Toons, Tom & Jerry and Scooby Doo. Having said that, there are actually a couple points I prefer the original series to the remakes. In the original it was revealed that Sandor was a quadruple amputee, having lost both arms & both legs in a childhood accident. And had to have his prosthetics separated from his torso to escape a trap. Definitely a scene that made an impact on my preteen self even if it wasn’t graphic. Also, while the remake adding more female crew members & pilots might contribute to more inclusion, it also felt a bit more fanservicey with the tightness of the uniforms. Finally I felt like the remakes tried to add more of a metaphyscial aspect to things which made the story more confusing at times.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Ohayotaku said:

it also felt a bit more fanservicey with the tightness of the uniforms

See the source image

See the source image

No idea what your talking about with the "fanservice" jab their 

But on a more serious note the modernization of Star Blazers probably ruined the original for me having no nostalgia for it anyway., That said I have been wanting to look into the whole Leijiverse

See the source image

Mainly because of Harlock here, the most manliest man to ever man 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, MarathonGuy1337 said:

No idea what your talking about with the "fanservice" jab their 

Nova was probably my first waifu (anime crush at least)spacer.png I was 10, ok.

Edited by Ohayotaku
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Ohayotaku said:

@Animedragon so it’s actually 3 different series I’m confusing with each other (pretty clear indication of how much of an impression they made on me, even though I’m pretty sure Kanon & Clanad at least are considered popular)

Clanad, Kanon and Air are often thought of together as all three are from Kyoto Animation and based on visual novels by Key and all have a similar basic storyline and share some plot elements, although they are all quite different stories.

Clanad and Kanon are very popular, Air less so mainly I think becuase it's much shorter than the other two and suffers as a result as there's not enough time to develop the story properly.

• Like 1

Inuyasha, Bleach, Tokyo Revengers, Your Name, A Silent Voice, Yuri! On Ice more hilariously bad in my opinion, Dragon Maid, Bakemonogatari

I didn’t like any of these at all or just found them pretty mediocre. 

Elfen Lied. Weirdly, I actually thought it was alright whilst I was watching it. It was in hindsight that I realized that it was as shallow as it was gory. Maybe the original material is a little better, I'm not sure.

• 2 weeks later...

Assassination Classroom, I think the student which was the main character didn't have anything special and didn't add anything to the story. Also, I found many scenes boring, although the overall message of the anime was good.

• 4 weeks later...

@Ohayotaku I actually liked "Clannad" personally. "Angel Beats" is one of those titles that I noticed a lot of people were talking up but, I never really got it. I didn't feel any special connection to the plot or the characters. Yuri ( was that her name? ) at least explained her backstory of how she got there. I was bored enough at the time that I decided to watch it all the way through to see how it ended. When all was done, the whole thing felt kinda pointless to me. Some people seem to be claiming that the Angel Beats manga had more substance to it than the anime did, with each character having their own dedicated vignettes that explain their motivations and backstories.

I could not get into Neon Genesis Evangelion.

Shows like Naruto and Bleach to me started out okay but then turned into something else. If Naruto would have just stayed about going on missions and saving people, I think I might have stuck with it more. But once it just became about Sasuke I lost interest. (And it kind of urked me that we had a 50ish ep arc for the chunnin exams, just for them to be called off because of an attack. So the last 50 eps were just wasted? True there were some fun moments in there, but still.)

• Like 1