Amines Hidden Gems

Recently stumbling upon some hidden and barely talked about anime film titled "The Five Star Stories" got me thinking about anime hidden gems. Vintage OVAs and cult classics form the early 00's that have kind of faded into obscurity. 

The trailer for anyone wondering!

So back to the point of the post

Anime Hidden Gems; OVAs and Theatrical Films like Burn Up! Blue Comet SPT Layzner OP, Armitage the Third Riding with Bean, Dragons Heaven, Venus Wars and the Crusher Joe film and OVAs 

See the source image

So the rules for this post is simple

Any amines, be them films, OVAs or series that are not widely popular or talked about within the anime community. They can be anything ranging from cult classics, vintage OVA series to pieces of forgotten media 

See the source image

They don't have to be 70's or 80's just anything that is considered "cult media" or deep down on the Otaku Iceberg.

The Hunt Is On!

See the source image

Blue Gender, Wolfs Rain and Witch Hunter Robin are all pretty obscure Anime from the 00s. I've mentioned them before. Another one is Guyver, which has come up on this forum a few times, which is also quick cult when compared to other shows of its era. Shows like Psycho-Pass which I'd consider a modern classic on the same level as Steins Gate or Madoka Magica has also been mostly forgotten. The show only came out in the early 2010s and yet how many people discuss the show these days. Maybe if due to Amazon not committing to dubbing the newer series. I mean how many people on here even realise my PFP is from the show. 

Another show is Escaflowne, I've only seen the first two or three episodes of that show, but that another show that been mostly lost to its time. Maybe the noses were too pointy. 

Finally Welcome to the NHK, this was a slice of life, comedy, character focus show from the 2000s which isn't talked about much nowadays. Those are all I can think about right now, there are likely a few more.

• Like 2
  • Cool (Kakkoii) 1

Battle Angel OVA (1993) spacer.png

barely scratched the surface of the manga. Got something of a resurgence when James Cameron finally got around to making a live action film, but seems to have been largely forgotten again. Personally disappointed by the live action version and continue to hope for a more comprehensive anime adaption.

Appleseed - continues to get the occasional attempt at an adaption, but almost completely overshadowed by Ghost in the Shell.

Boogiepop Phantom - pretty commonly talked about back in the day. Got a more comprehensive adaption a few years ago, but didn’t really seem to catch on. Same goes for Kino’s Journey.

Macross - probably most famous outside Japan as the source for Robotech’s first arc. Supposedly the licensing disputes have been settled, but doesn’t seem like the multiple follow-up projects are really being pushed. 

Will close by giving a bump to Gunbuster.

• Awesome (Sugoi) 2

I've recently watched several of those already mentioned and would agree that they are forgotten gems.

As my contribution to this topic I'd like to offer "Kurogane Communication" a series from 1998 which  is made up of 24 episodes each running for 15 minutes.
It's another of those "Post apocoliptic World" series where mankind develped sentient war machines that were so efficient that they wiped out their creators.

The story centres around a young girl who is believed to be the last remaining human and is being cared for by a group of five sentient robots. Life is not easy of course because the war machines are still active and out to destroy anything thing they encounter.
The story is well told and intersting to watch.

• Love it! (Daisuki) 1

28 minutes ago, Ohayotaku said:

Battle Angel OVA (1993) 

Yes to this and agreed with the take on the movie and the need for a proper attempt to make a more complete anime series, Alita deserved better 

See the source image

Totally need to re-watch the OVA now 

15 minutes ago, Animedragon said:

"Kurogane Communication

Never heard of this one so I'll have to check it out.

59 minutes ago, MediaConsumesMe said:

Blue Gender

I think I heard of this one, its a mecha right? 

See the source image

Never mind MECHA confirmed!

40 minutes ago, Ohayotaku said:

Will close by giving a bump to Gunbuster.

wait you also watched Gunbuster!

Image result for gunbuster giff

Pond it bro!

Image result for macross giff

Also Macross looks awesome! J-pop can beat aliens. Need to watch that shit pronto 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Otaking66lives said:

You're Under Arrest! 

I think I've heard off it before somewhere, its one of those female duo cop/investigation/action anime if I'm not mistakes similar to Dirty Pair

See the source image

That said if this is the show then its gonna be on MAL no questions asked

• Love it! (Daisuki) 2

24 minutes ago, MarathonGuy1337 said:

I think I've heard off it before somewhere, its one of those female duo cop/investigation/action anime if I'm not mistakes similar to Dirty Pair

See the source image

That said if this is the show then its gonna be on MAL no questions asked

Yes, that clip comes from You're Under Arrest. But the two lady cops from YUA are nothing like the Dirty Pair, they don't blow up, destroy and otherwise wreck everything they get involved with.

Edited by Animedragon

12 minutes ago, Animedragon said:

Yes, that clip comes from You're Under Arrest. But the two lady cops from YUA are nothing like the Dirty Pair, they don't blow up, destroy and otherwise wreck everything they get involved with.

True. YUA is more down to earth than DP.

• Agree 1

as someone who has mainly watch series from the 2000's and 2010's here is my hidden gem I could say: Seto no Hanayome

Seto no Hanayome picture  Seto no Hanayome picture  Seto no Hanayome picture

I've heard nearly nobody talk about it and it's one I would certainly recommend. I watch it a long time ago (around when I started watching anime) and I need to watch it again.

It's a comedy, romance type of show but it has one of the best ending I have ever seen

the second hidden gem is Nyan Koi! 

Nyan Koi! picture Nyan Koi! picture Nyan Koi! picture

it's the story about a boy in his 2nd year of high school who has an allergies to cat. Because of it, he now totally hates cats. When returning back to his home from his school, he accidentally broke a statue of a cat while kicking an empty can. Unfortunately, the god residing in the statue curse him and make him be able to understand cat, which is pretty cool, if he wouldn't also transform into a cat and die of his allergies. to lift the curse he need to do a 100 request from cats with the help of his family cat. However he need to keep this a secret from everyone or else they will also need to bare the same curse as him... 

that's pretty much it for the resume. It's again a romantic and comedy anime but one the best I would say.

the third is Ore no Nounai Sentakushi ga, Gakuen Love Comedy wo Zenryoku de Jama Shiteiru or just NouCome for short:

Ore no Nounai Sentakushi ga, Gakuen Love Comedy wo Zenryoku de Jama Shiteiru picture Ore no Nounai Sentakushi ga, Gakuen Love Comedy wo Zenryoku de Jama Shiteiru picture

I'm tired so I am gonna copy and paste the MAL resume: 

For Kanade Amakusa, life as a high schooler should have been normal, and it would have been—if he wasn't living with the most ridiculous curse imaginable. "Absolute Choice," a system forced upon him by a self-proclaimed god, randomly presents a mental selection of actions that he must act out based on his choice. To add to his dilemma, it tends to occur in the most public of places, and his options never seem to deviate from the rude and crude in nature.

As a result, the helpless boy stresses through each day, fumbling to repair his already tarnished reputation while desperately praying to avoid the next spontaneous episode of Absolute Choice. To his dismay, the one in charge is always one step ahead of him and proceeds to not-so-subtly "choice" him into the lives of several girls at his school. Just when Kanade's school life can't seem to be doomed any further, a decision that he reluctantly selects on the way home sends a beautiful girl crashing down from the sky, along with the promise of more hysterically hellish choices.

I've NEVER laugh so hard when watching anime. Seriously it was at the point I couldn't breath.... I'm okay don't you worry. It's an anime that is a lot more focused on the comedy than the romance but it's his main appeal and a strong one at that.

Now for the last one we have Mayo Chiki!

Mayo Chiki! picture Mayo Chiki! picture Mayo Chiki! picture

Yup boys we have our one and only crossdressing, romance, comedy and Ecchi anime!!!!!!! *claps* *claps* *claps*

here is the resume:

Due to his mother and sister, who both love professional wrestling, Kinjirou Sakamachi developed a resilient body that could take hard punches, aggressive kicks, and even deadly vehicle bumps, in order to survive their various grappling positions and locks. However, he also developed gynophobia, an abnormal fear of women. With just one touch from a girl, his nose bleeds uncontrollably, he sweats excessively, and in rare cases, faints abruptly.

His life changes for the worse because of a fated meeting in the restroom. While trying to escape from a girl, he discovers that the most popular student in their school, Subaru Konoe—the butler of the headmaster’s daughter, Kanade Suzutsuki—is actually female! Surprised, Subaru violently assaults Kinjirou, dealing significant damage and knocking him unconscious. When he comes to, he meets Kanade. In exchange for his silence, she promises to help cure his phobia.

You may like it or may also dislike it but I'm sure you will at least enjoy it a lot when watching. I'm not giving you my opinion just go and watch it. that's the only thing I need to say. I don't thinks it's a 10/10 show and I'm sure there are ton of other show that are better that this one but it's still a really enjoyable one.👍

Edited by Soramee_
  • Informative 1
  • Winner 1
  • Love it! (Daisuki) 1

18 hours ago, Otaking66lives said:

Blue Seed and The Irresponsible Captain Tylor

Image result for irrespisble captrian tylaor giff

That feeling you get when someone else has watched the same obscure anime

18 hours ago, Soramee_ said:

Now for the last one we have Mayo Chiki!

Mayo Chiki! picture Mayo Chiki! picture Mayo Chiki! picture

Yup boys we have our one and only crossdressing, romance, comedy and Ecchi anime!!!!!!!

Image result for Anime Suprised face giff

There's always one 

• Cool (Kakkoii) 2

Reckon I’ll add a few more

Legend of Black Heaven spacer.png midlife crisis with rock music & aliens

Figure 17 spacer.png introverted grade schooler copes with her shyness & death of her mother while helping to save earth from alien monsters.

• Like 1
  • Love it! (Daisuki) 2

Action - Speed Grapher, Canaan, Shingeki no Bahamut, Hamatora, El Cazador de la Bruja

Fantasy - Kiba, Last Exile.

Historical/Fantasy - Moribito, Otogizoshi.

Romance - Air

Sci-Fi - Kurau Phantom Memory.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm brand new here, I hope it's okay I replied to this topic that hasn't been replied to in two weeks!

I did like Wolf's Rain that someone mentioned.

One anime I really like that I never hear anyone talk about it Detective Academy Q. It's about a group in a detective school that solve real crimes. Its really interesting, to me.

Another that does seem a little more known these days but still should be more known is Yakitate!! Japan. The problem is... the official subs don't do a great job... the show is based on Japanese puns, and there were... *Coughs* ... Other subs ... that would actually go in depth and talk about what the jokes meant, and it was really fun. Anyway the show is about making bread, which I know sounds lame, but it's HILARIOUS. In Japanese, the word for bread is "Pan", and he is trying to make "Japan" as there is already English, German, and French bread. But it comes out as "Ja-Bread",

I'm honestly unsure... Kekkeshi? I don't think that was ever super popular....

As I get older I hear less about old favorites and become unsure if they are actually obscure now, or if I just don't hear about them anymore, like Hikaru No Go and Eyeshield 21.

• Like 2
  • Cool (Kakkoii) 1

15 hours ago, Takatofan1986 said:

I'm brand new here, I hope it's okay I replied to this topic that hasn't been replied to in two weeks!

Don’t worry about it, sometimes I revive topics that haven’t been active in a year or more :P 

15 hours ago, Takatofan1986 said:

Kekkeshi?

Kekkaishi? Yeah that one didn’t seem to catch on, despite airing on American tv.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Takatofan1986 said:

I did like Wolf's Rain that someone mentioned.

Wolf's Rain is awesome, I was surprised how good it was and the way I discovered it was its opening randomly playing due to Youtube's Autoplay feature. If that hadn't of happened I'd of likely never heard about Wolf's Rain as it pretty obscure. Hopefully you've seen the OVA that follows on from the show... as those episodes are some of the most depressing and heart-breaking moments in Anime. 

• Like 1

One that I stumbled on recently was a show called Tetsuwan Badi I just saw the opening on YouTube but it looks pretty cool

Another one was a show called Uninhabited Planet Survive that's one that's been on my list for awhile. 

Those are two I just stumbled on anyhow.

tumblr_dbc6c8d7b872f5f209c18b84c2ec718b_851013d1_400.gif.a3bb09efd7fc9a6711e8fb7802e64613.gif

Also as a side note the forgotten gem which started this post "The Five Star Stories" will my dvd finally arrived and I'm probably gonna watch that soon.

• Like 1

"Diamond Daydreams". A nice little series from 2004.

Six short two part stories about the hopes, dreams, friendships and conflicts of six girls who live in different parts of Hokkaido. Series like this can fall a bit flat because the stories are  too short and we never really get to know the characters,  but with this one the character's lives are well presented and their stories are nicely told.

• Useful 1
  • Cool (Kakkoii) 2

Adventures of the Mini-Goddess spacer.png

a series of short episodes featuring chibi/smol versions of Ah, My Goddess characters. Consists of parodies of various movies/tv shows/ celebrities, educational topics including the history of airplanes, trains & space travel, and instrumental mood (no spoken dialogue) episodes. Unlike the main series, Urd is the character must often in the spotlight (Belldandy being relegated to the role of lovable airhead). Keichi is mentioned & can sometimes be heard off-camera, but never actually appears. The central male character being a talking rat called Gan-chan who is usually the straight-man/victim of the other characters’ antics :P The hiccups episode is a personal favorite 🤣

Edited by Ohayotaku
  • Like 1
  • Love it! (Daisuki) 1
  • Cool (Kakkoii) 1

• 1 month later...

Its been a while since I was last on the forum nice to see that this thread continued in my absence

This is a Film I've stumbled on in the mean time since I was last on the site; Its called A.I. City but also is called Love City 

Another one that's been added to my radar is GallForce, a strange series about a war between space women and... erm well find out for yourself because you wouldn't believe me if you if I told you!

• Like 1
  • Cool (Kakkoii) 1

9 hours ago, MarathonGuy1337 said:

Another one that's been added to my radar is GallForce, a strange series about a war between space women and... erm well find out for yourself because you wouldn't believe me if you if I told you!

Gall Force. A quite long and very strange, but rather good, series about an ongoing war with almost the same space women and a sort of cyborg doing battle with some very, very strange aliens and a computer program.

Go watch the series, it's worth watching, MarathonGuy1337 is right, you wouldn't believe us if we told you about the aliens.