Anime with high chance of death?

Arakh

Question

Please recommend anime where the characters cannot afford to make mistake. Just one mistake, then you are dead. For example, hunter x hunter, demon slayer, jujutsu kaisen, attack titan. Thank you. 

• Like 1

18 answers to this question

Idk if this is what you're looking for but here;

Danganronpa- 16 highschool students are trapped in a school and forced to murder eachother. If you wanna play the games or watch the anime either works although I do highly recommend the games.

Death Note- A guy gets a notebook which he can write down people's names in to kill them however he likes. He kills criminals, believing it is justice. Unfortunately for him, there are detectives trying to figure out who he is.

Angel Beats- Tbh this one doesn't have as much murder but yeah. Teenagers who have died in the past end up in this place. It is neither heaven nor hell. They try to figure out how to communicate to God. If they die  they just "respawn" or whatever you call it. They are also pretty much in war.

• Like 1

I guess you mean a series with lot of suspence and action so maybe most of the fate anime series. Some of the best I could recommend as a starting point are Fate/zero and Fate/stay night. A lot of people on this forum like this series ( I am one of them) so I'm sure you will at least enjoy it 😁.

• Agree 2

Noir has quite a high 'body count' per episode.
Mireille and Kirika are highly trained and deadly assassins, but they're up against a determined adversary and can't afford to make mistakes.

• Like 1
  • Cool (Kakkoii) 1

On 5/8/2022 at 6:55 PM, Arakh said:

Please recommend anime where the characters cannot afford to make mistake. Just one mistake, then you are dead. For example, hunter x hunter, demon slayer, jujutsu kaisen, attack titan. Thank you. 

I've got a few which have a high chance of death for the characters that I've seen;

All the Fate shows. I thing the lowest body count goes to Babylonia - but that still has a high body count of supporting characters compared to other anime. Fate Zero has the highest body count of the series, I think. Not many make it through it, and those that make it through and are better off at the end are even fewer. 

Got to plug Berserk 1997, won't ruin the ending of the show if you've not seen it yet but the term Betrayal gets a whole new meaning. 

Psycho Pass also has a decent body count, and because the characters are well developed and rounded (even the Villain is enjoyable and a guy you might route for by the series climax) it makes the 'deaths' feel really gut punching. 

Death Note also has a very high body count, I will say less important characters who are sort of throw away make up the bulk but some supporting and even main characters get killed off during the shows run so another great high body count show to check out. 

Steins Gate sort of has a high body count... if you count different world line versions of a specific character getting murdered over and over again by the half way point onwards as adding to the body count of the show. 

Finally Madoka Magica for a magical girl show has a pretty respectable body count I wouldn't rank it alongside Berserk, Fate, Psycho Pass or Death Note but I feel it pretty equal to Steins Gate level. 

Also all the aforementioned shows defiantly have the feeling of one mistake equals instant death in a lot of situations. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

The Promised Neverland season 1 was suspenseful enough, not sure about season 2 though. 

• Like 1

Adding Akudama Drive

6 hours ago, KaiyaSaysHaiya said:

If they die  they just "respawn" or whatever you call it.

I’m Standing on a Million Lives has something kinda like that. The main characters get killed pretty easily, especially in the early going. But as long as at least one member of the party is still alive they respawn after a while. However if you would just die again as soon as you respawn (like falling into a pool of lava) you stay dead. In a case like that, the only way to come back is for the surviving party members to complete the quest objectives. And if the entire party is wiped out then everyone is dead for good.

Edited by Ohayotaku
  • Useful 1

7 hours ago, Ohayotaku said:

Adding Akudama Drive

I’m Standing on a Million Lives has something kinda like that. The main characters get killed pretty easily, especially in the early going. But as long as at least one member of the party is still alive they respawn after a while. However if you would just die again as soon as you respawn (like falling into a pool of lava) you stay dead. In a case like that, the only way to come back is for the surviving party members to complete the quest objectives. And if the entire party is wiped out then everyone is dead for good.

Sounds interesting!

• Like 1

On 6/19/2022 at 10:12 AM, KaiyaSaysHaiya said:

Danganronpa- 16 highschool students are trapped in a school and forced to murder each other. If you wanna play the games or watch the anime either works although I do highly recommend the games.

Glad to see another Danganronpa lover ;), great anime and game series...

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

There's:

Claymore
Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans
Another
Deadman Wonderland
Ajin
Future Diary
Parasyte: The Maxim
Basilisk
BTOOOM!
High-rise Invasion
Elfen Lied
Zetman
Speed Grapher
Tokko
Wolf's Rain
Akira

Hope you've got plenty to keep you busy! 😁

I'm not good with recs but the community has seen some stuff!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Clayton said:

Do they have to STAY dead?

It not entirely necessary for a character to have to permanently remained dead. For example, Fate has character's die during the different wars and also timelines. So, as a hypothetical Fate/Zero say Lancer dies. He can be resummoned by another master for another war, however only the heroic spirts can be 'resummoned' as they are already dead having died in the lives as heroes. The masters are not so fortunate.