Hey Guys!

Kōyamaki

I'm new here. On other forums there is usually a single dedicated thread for all of the introductions. I guess each new member gets their own thread here? Is the idea to make the experience more personalized? In any case, I wouldn't say that I am a newcomer to anime - although I haven't mingled much with other lovers of the genre. I had watched a few episodes here-and-there of well known anime series sporadically growing up; however, I only got hooked on it during my early adult years. As with anything, some themes appeal to me more than others do. So what exactly drew me toward anime? I would say it was a combination of different things. Even before the days that I recognized anime as a high art form, I always noticed the beautiful aesthetics and crisp detail that went into every frame. At the point where I began watching anime regularly, I was also beginning to appreciate the complexity of the story lines ( depending on which one ). It also helped that quite often the intros had catchy theme songs, although I would often get annoyed when they would change it every so often as a series progressed. Another thing that appealed to me with many of the titles, is that the characters aren't always acting like complete sociopaths ( generally ). The best part....I'll admit it...it's gotta be the waifus; and they're usually written to be decent and honest people. The people that create these characters have very epicurean tastes, they appreciate the finer things in life. I really respect that.

Regarding my username, it comes from the English transliteration of the common Japanese name for Japan's most unique tree - which we know simply as the "Japanese Umbrella Pine." Despite its name, it is not really a pine at all, but rather the sole surviving member of a much more ancient lineage which goes back 230-220 million years ago! It is as much a pine tree as the Norfolk Island Pine is ( also not a pine ). I know that most people immediately associate Japan with the famous Cherry Blossom ( or "Sakura Tree" ), but I associate it with this other species instead. Not that I have anything against the snow-like effect of the Sakura Tree's pink blossoms ( pretty cool effect actually ).

• Informative 1

Welcome to the forums 😁

That’s quite an eclectic mix of favorite anime on your profile page 🤩 (I’ve managed to see most of them over the years - kudos for including Ramen Fighter Miki, one of my favorite slapstick comedies  🤣 )

Hope you find things to interest you here.

Edited by Ohayotaku
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Ohayotaku said:

Welcome to the forums 😁

That’s quite an eclectic mix of favorite anime on your profile page 🤩 (I’ve managed to see most of them over the years - kudos for including Ramen Fighter Miki, one of my favorite slapstick comedies  🤣 )

Hope you find things to interest you here.

It is always a joy to encounter someone else who has shared the experiences. lol Yeah, "Ramen Fighter Miki" was great stuff. I wish we had more like it. In spite of how over-the-top and silly it was, I liked that it still retained its sharp wittiness in a way that doesn't feel overly repetitive. I noticed that it used the old hand-drawn art style during the period when it was on its way out, which I think is awesome - I personally prefer the look of the hand-drawn over the newer digital. I also thought it was a really neat touch how the end credits theme sounds like Hall & Oates singing in Japanese ( for lack of a better analogy ). Truly a classic gem there. 😁

4 hours ago, MediaConsumesMe said:

Welcome to the forum, your a fellow fan of the little known franchise called Fate. It always good to have another one on the forums. Also Overlord, Steins; Gate and Welcome to the NHK are some choice anime titles. 

Yeah, when I'm asked what my favorite animes are, I only list my all-time faves. There are many others that I happen to like that I feel fall a little short of being called the best of the best. I will be adding more titles since there are a few that I forgot. I see that you have Sabre as your waifu there.

• Like 1

Welcome my friend! Glad to see another Overlord fan, as the anime is doing quite well! 
Enjoy your stay here, enjoy the chaos!! 💀

• Like 1

• 3 months later...