Are the Madoka Magica movies good?

Kiritofangirl

The first two do not. In fact they are basically just a shortened version of the anime. I was actually kind of pissed when I watched them because they didn't add anything to the story.

The third one does add to the story. I liked it and would recommend watching it if you enjoyed the original anime. Just skip the first two though.

Edited by Guest

The first two do not. In fact they are basically just a shortened version of the anime. I was actually kind of pissed when I watched them because they didn't add anything to the story.

The third one does add to the story. I liked it and would recommend watching it if you enjoyed the original anime. Just skip the first two though.

Ok thanks! :)

Hello @Kiritofangirl, the first two films are movie length versions of the TV series with improved animation. You can safely skip the first two and watch the third movie (Rebellion) to continue the story.

If you were a newcomer to the franchise I would certainly recommend just watching the movie versions.

Having said that I bought all three movies on Blu-Ray awhile back. Definitely will rewatch it someday to get my Madoka fix again. On a side note you might also like the Nanoha franchise too. :angel:

Hello @Kiritofangirl, the first two films are movie length versions of the TV series with improved animation. You can safely skip the first two and watch the third movie (Rebellion) to continue the story.

If you were a newcomer to the franchise I would certainly recommend just watching the movie versions.

Having said that I bought all three movies on Blu-Ray awhile back. Definitely will rewatch it someday to get my Madoka fix again. On a side note you might also like the Nanoha franchise too. :angel:

Thanks! And I will check out the third movie and Nanoha too. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I'd personally watch the two movies instead of the anime as from what I understand they have some improvements made to them. Either way it's still awesome, but you only need one or the other unless you wanna be REALLY devoted.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

Yeah @KimmyKins83 , you definitely should check out the third one as it offers a lot of insight on Homura. Whereas the TV series was about Madoka, this movie was definitely Homura's turn to shine. And the new action is jaw-dropping awesome. I watched the third movie immediately after the TV series and it was a nice continuation of the plot.

The ending is... well, that's up for debate. >_< I'm a huge fan of Madoka and well, she kind of got the shorter end of the stick in this one.

Edited by Guest
  • Agree 1

• Geano locked this topic