Chit Chat Thread

Nebulous

OK, so while walking round the supermarket this morning doing my weekly shopping I saw a sign which said "Anitipasti", which made me wonder, is antipasti the opposite of pasti like antimatter is the opposite of matter?

If antipasti and pasti come into contact with each other are both annihilated?

So, have you ever started something and then after a short time wished you hadn't?

I have!

This morning I opened one of the kitchen draws and thought "what is all this stuff?", so I promptly started taking everything out. Then I looked at the huge pile of "stuff" on the worktop and thought "why did I do this?".

It took a long time to sort through it all and most of it went in the bin, but it was worth it in the long run as I now have a tidy draw and I know what's in it.

Perhaps I'll do the other draws...

Perhaps.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Animedragon said:

So, have you ever started something and then after a short time wished you hadn't?

Oh yes.. I went into the restaurant business. Been wanting to get out of it ever since. 😭

It pays the bills, but it has been a life-consuming venture for the most part. I’m definitely thinking of an exit strategy. Don’t really know what I want to get into after I do leave it though. Not yet anyway. Another tale for another day, perhaps.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, viruxx said:

Oh yes.. I went into the restaurant business. Been wanting to get out of it ever since. 😭

It pays the bills, but it has been a life-consuming venture for the most part. I’m definitely thinking of an exit strategy. Don’t really know what I want to get into after I do leave it though. Not yet anyway. Another tale for another day, perhaps.

Before the dreaded covid19 struck my church ran a community lunch once a week we were a small team and I was one of volunteers in the kitchen. We had around 30 customers each week but because of the way it ran they all came in at the same time and had to be served as quick as possible. With the preparation before serving time and clearing up afterwards we were all shattered when it was all done. And that was only for about half a day so you have my admiration, and sympathy, for doing it all day every day.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Nebulous said:

hi everyone!  How are we doing today? 

Today I'm a bit sad because the state funeral for Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II is today. I'll watch the event on TV because I'll see much more of the service and the processions than I would if I went to London or Windsor and I'll also avoid the huge crowds and packed trains.

13 hours ago, Animedragon said:

Today I'm a bit sad because the state funeral for Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II is today. I'll watch the event on TV because I'll see much more of the service and the processions than I would if I went to London or Windsor and I'll also avoid the huge crowds and packed trains.

I started watching the funeral on TV at 10:30am until it finished around 5:00pm.
I'm used to seeing royal and state processions but today's funeral for Queen Elizabeth II was on a scale I had never seen before. There were 4,000 members of the armed services many like the Household Cavalry in their traditional historic uniforms. The Queen's coffin was carried on the state gun-carriage and pulled by 142 sailors. The main procession stretched for a mile and a quarter. The marching bands played a sombre but stirring march which was punctuated by the regular firing of gun salutes in one the parks.
It was certainly a day I'm never going to forget.

• Friendly 1

While I was out shopping today I looked in the local jeweller's window out of idle curiosity. They had a wristwatch on display with a price tag of £6500, Six Thousand Five Hundred pounds for something to wear on your wrist to tell you the time!!? Some people clearly have more money than sense!!

Actually, I don't think there's anyone in my town wealthy enough to buy it. 

• Wow 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Nebulous said:

Did anyone get any good black Friday deals?

Nothing here.  Prices are ridiculous for everything I looked for.

How come inflation is always only on the goods side?  I need some of that inflation in my paycheck💰

• Agree 1

Honestly the "sales" worldwide just made things as cheap as they were when people could barely afford them in the first place. Ireland quickly became one of Europe's most expensive country and nobody can afford anything. 

• Like 1

I think the whole "Black Friday" thing is just a gimmick invented by shops to persuade people to spend money they don't have on things they don't need.

Although I think shops have 'dialled back' a bit on the Black Friday advertising, probably as a result of events a few years ago when a near riot broke out in a shop as customers fought with each other to get the best bargains and even resorted to taking things out of other peoples trolleys. I seem to recall that it got so bad that the store shut its doors and called the police, when order was restored the shop looked like an earthquake had hit it.

11 hours ago, Animedragon said:

I think the whole "Black Friday" thing is just a gimmick invented by shops to persuade people to spend money they don't have on things they don't need.

Although I think shops have 'dialled back' a bit on the Black Friday advertising, probably as a result of events a few years ago when a near riot broke out in a shop as customers fought with each other to get the best bargains and even resorted to taking things out of other peoples trolleys. I seem to recall that it got so bad that the store shut its doors and called the police, when order was restored the shop looked like an earthquake had hit it.

I agree.  There's not a lot of things that people actually need.  The whole consumer thing especially is insane when you think about it.  It is extremely wasteful of resources and money.  "Keeping up with the Joneses" is a suckers game too.  (And/or simple ego gratification.)  Advertising is about brainwashing people into thinking they need a new gadget or item of clothing just because the old one is a different color than what's on sale this week.  And of course credit benefits nobody but the banksters.  You would be far better off in the long run saving up for your purchases instead of paying an extra 10%, or more, for the instant gratification.

Unfortunately there's hardly any constituency for doing it otherwise.  It is all about keeping the money flowing.  The government gets a cut every time money changes hands.  Banks want to keep you in debt indefinitely, at least as long as you can make the payments.  Advertisement-driven social pressures make it almost mandatory to have the latest-and-greatest gadget or wardrobe.  They don't even teach home economics in schools anymore.  Anything that keeps the spice from flowing is removed, bypassed, or outlawed.  It's a racket.

• Agree 1

On 11/26/2022 at 12:41 PM, efaardvark said:

Nothing here.  Prices are ridiculous for everything I looked for.

How come inflation is always only on the goods side?  I need some of that inflation in my paycheck💰

I can relate to that!  Although I did just get a raise at work.  :P 

hope you all had a good weekend and I hope the week ahead will be great! :)

• Like 2