Anime You've Re-watched or Plan On Doing So

MediaConsumesMe

I've re-watched 48 or the 100 something shows I've watched. So a little under half the shows I've watched, I've revisited a least once. What shows have you guys watched again after completed? How long after an initial watch did you wait to re-watch a show and did you come away from re-watching a show with a different opinion than the first time you watched the show. 

For me I re-watch a lot of shows because I like to show @MarathonGuy1337 some of the shows I've seen and thought were good and worth a watch. That doesn't always pan out well when he goes away having a wildly different opinion on the show, such as his blinding hatred of PMMM and Ergo Proxy. And his initial distaste of Fate (he didn't get Apocrypha and Zero upon his first watch) up until he saw Rin in unlimited blade works and came around to Fate as a whole.

And other times he goes the opposite way, Death Note a show I through was pretty good, around an eight. He ended up declaring it a masterpiece, ten out of ten, greatest of all time. Which you know was defiantly a win. And then there's the time we have the exact same opinion, such as with shows like Steins Gate and Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood. 

And Cypher, but we don't talk about that one much. 

One of the shows I distinctly remember revisiting very soon after completing it was Monster, which I think I started watching it a few days after I finished it. Currently I'm re-watching Fate/Apocrypha and Parasyte the Maxim. As for anime I'm planning on re-watching, that would be Hunter x Hunter. 

So what shows are you guys planning on re-watching or just started a re-watch off?

Planning on rewatching Overlord 1-3 & then bingeing season 4 in September. 

No idea when, but would also like to rewatch all the Slayers tv series, especially since I’d previously only watched the dub version of seasons 1-3. I’ll also need to rewatch the 1st season of Shakugan no Shana when I finally decide to watch the follow-up seasons/specials/ovas. You mentioning Tsukihime recently has made me curious to revisit it since I remember next to nothing about it (maybe for Halloween).  Some other older series I’m curious to see if my opinions may have changed over time: Blue Seed, the original Fullmetal Alchemist anime, Trigun, etc.

Edited by Ohayotaku

10 minutes ago, MediaConsumesMe said:

Assuming it ends at season 4. 

I find that kind of unlikely :P , but hopefully there won’t be as long a gap between seasons <fingers crossed>

Also, I made some late edits to my earlier post (sorry, bad habit of mine)

Edited by Ohayotaku

Lunar Legend Tsukihime, defiantly dose show its age, the soundtrack is great and the voice acting pretty good (I watched dubbed). The opening is nice and atmospheric and the ending animation is also really good. So there defiantly a lot of positives. The down sides is some pretty wack animation sequences, like one bit where the characters are bobbing up and down, sure its an extreme long shot, but it doesn't get away with it. Also lots of bloom and filters, an issue many anime in the early 2000s suffered from. 

Still the story well told, like I've been following it knowing nothing about the Visual Novel. I might be a Nasu-Simp. But if you don't go back expecting Ufotable level animation (or studio deen level for that matter) you will at the very least like the soundtrack. 

• Like 1

I am weird and generally rewatch more than I watch new. I've been breaking myself of that a little the last few months, making myself watch new stuff. But I am also rewatching My Hero Academia at the same time.

I think the shows I've rewatched the most are probibly Digimon Tamers, Yakitate!! Japan, Space Dandy, Ouran High School Host Club, Gravitation (Ugh, younger me... Gravitation isn't very good... good music though.) and the original Fullmetal Alchemist.

I feel like I've rewatched Hikaru No Go quite a few times (And 4 times for sure, off the top of my head) But it's a little longer, so it might just feel like I've watched it a bunch.

1 minute ago, Takatofan1986 said:

I am weird and generally rewatch more than I watch new.

You're not the only one who does this, so I guess I'm weird as well*. 🙂

With a very few exceptions I've watched every anime in my collection at least twice and some more often, some I've watched so often that I don't know how many times I've watched them. One reason for this is that I've no access to any live streaming services, I think there may be a couple that can be accessed here in the UK but my Internet connection isn't really fast enough for streaming, so I have to purchase on DVD or Blu-Ray every anime I watch. Which is a good incentive to watch series more than once!

* Actually I've spent most of my life being regarded as weird because I'm often not interested in the things that most people are interested in, personally I like to think I march to the beat of a different drummer.

• Agree 1
  • Cool (Kakkoii) 2

I think the show I've most re-watched is Fate/Zero, pretty sure I've seen that show four times at this point. And the crazy part is, I'll probably watch it in some deranged marathon of Fate. I just got to decided the order, I'll start with Zero... but I'll end on who knows which. 

I've rewatched Outlaw Star a few times, maybe four? That one was probably my favorite series when I was in high school. It aired on Toonami during the daytime after school. A close second is Cowboy Bebop. I think I rewatched that series at least twice. I'd try to stay up when I could to watch CB on Adult Swim, but it wasn't until I got the DVDs that I could watch it through.

I'm still mulling over rewatching Spy x Family dubbed, but I currently have a lot of "irons in the fire" as it is. Still have a ton of catching up to do with older series, as well as watching the more current shows or anything that just catches my eye. One downside to streaming is the sheer amount of choices to watch can be a bit overwhelming, especially when I finish a series and look to find another to jump into. So I can appreciate buying and watching DVD/Bluray discs, as @Animedragon mentioned above.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...

Rewatched the first couple episodes of Cowboy Bebop to prepare for when the live action came out. Unfortunately, we all saw how that ended up lol

So! Now I'm just rewatching it all. Definitely a series that was ahead of it's time in both plot, atmosphere, and scifi conception. The soundtrack is something I constantly have rolling through my playlist throughout the years as well.

About to do the same for the OG Trigun series, since they're deciding to give that one a reboot too. Frankly I'm always a little ehhh when it comes to 3D anime. But I'm willing to give it the good ole college try. Fingers crossed lol

• Agree 1

I recently did some digging through my dvd collection to try to organize things better & discovered I actually own all 3 discs of Geneon’s adaption of the aforementioned Lunar Legend Tsukihime, so there’s  a pretty good chance I’ll try to rewatch it around Halloween. 
At the same time I came across my discs of Noir & Madlax (2 of the series in Bee Train’s “Girls with Guns Trilogy” ) and thinking it would be cool to revisit them.  Bit of a neat sidenote is that recent Birdie Wing anime apparently takes place in the same universe as Madlax or at least gives a nod to it (kinda like Carole & Tuesday does with Cowboy Bebop)

Having come to streaming fairly late, I’m still pretty preoccupied with discovering “new” series, but nice to know I got a sizeable  physical inventory to revisit if the more negative predictions for industry trends come to pass. Looks like I’ll be watching anime til the day I die 😂

Edited by Ohayotaku

4 hours ago, Ohayotaku said:

At the same time I came across my discs of Noir & Madlax (2 of the series in Bee Train’s “Girls with Guns Trilogy” ) and thinking it would be cool to revisit them.  Bit of a neat sidenote is that recent Birdie Wing anime apparently takes place in the same universe as Madlax or at least gives a nod to it (kinda like Carole & Tuesday does with Cowboy Bebop)

Noir is a good series and I enjoy watching it. Madlax I've not seen didn't really want to. When it came out all the reviews and other things I read about it convinced me that it was a carbon copy clone of Noir and not a very interesting one at that.

Great Pretender and Serial Experiments Lain are the two I really wanna rewatch someday, just because I watched them pretty early in my anime binge, when I began getting into more anime, so I need to refresh my memory of them because I remember both of them being amazing and wanna see if they really were. 

I began criticizing and trying to break down shows from the beginning and would say I'm a lot better at it now then I was then, I'm able to notice more details and pay attention better, (My attention span then wasn't nearly as good as it is now too.) so I wanna see what I can notice on my second watch. Shows as good as those two generally have a lot of small details that are worth noticing. 

2 hours ago, Gonstroph said:

Great Pretender and Serial Experiments Lain are the two I really wanna rewatch someday, just because I watched them pretty early in my anime binge, when I began getting into more anime, so I need to refresh my memory of them because I remember both of them being amazing and wanna see if they really were. 

I began criticizing and trying to break down shows from the beginning and would say I'm a lot better at it now then I was then, I'm able to notice more details and pay attention better, (My attention span then wasn't nearly as good as it is now too.) so I wanna see what I can notice on my second watch. Shows as good as those two generally have a lot of small details that are worth noticing. 

Serial Experiments Lain was one of those series that came out when the Internet was still a new and exciting thing and several Sci-Fi writers were exploring the whole concept of this new digital world and the geek culture that it created. I rewatched the series a couple of months ago after several years and found it to still be a decent series.

One thing I've noticed as I've got older is that when watching a series, even for the first time, I pay a lot more attention to the small details and don't just focus on the storyline. This is even more true when rewatching a series for the Nth time, there's a wealth of detail in the backgrounds as well as in the characters, indeed I now find I get as much enjoyment from 'detail spotting' as I do from the actual storyline of a series.  Even on the Nth rewatch of a series I often spot some little detail that I'd not noticed before.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

D.Gray Man, but only the original anime. D.Gray Man Hallow disappointed me in everything: from animation itself to how they adapted the manga.

I watched Ninja Scroll movie several times, but as I said: just the movie, so not sure it counts.

But generally, I only watch anime once, and then switch to reading the manga anime was based on.

• Cool (Kakkoii) 1

19 hours ago, Aldarion said:

But generally, I only watch anime once, and then switch to reading the manga anime was based on.

I've looked over my anime list, and it turns out I've watched just shy of half of the shows I've completed a second time. Which is pretty crazy, and that doesn't factor in shows I've rewatched more than once... which is Fate/Zero standing tall at five total watches, Steins;Gate coming in just under at 4, and Psycho Pass and Madoka Magica tying at third place at 3 total watches.

I do usually watch a show solo and if I think it any good I usually watch through it again with my brother. Monster, Code Geass, Death Note, Ergo Proxy all got additional watches because of that. And I sat through Monster back to back. With the Netflix release announced (hoping that includes UK) I'm going to have to do a third watch through - maybe with some non-anime watchers to show them that anime has some good shows to offer. 

• Like 2

For shows I’ve rewatch there is the melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, lucky star, sword art online and I’m currently watching code Geass again but I’m sure there is some more I rewatched

• Cool (Kakkoii) 1

• 1 month later...

Just queued up Shakugan no Shana.  A personal favorite.  I really liked it when it came out and I've rewatched it a couple/few times since.  The whole series is a bit long for me - I prefer the 12/24 episode-and-done format - so I tend to resist starting it but so far every time I've done so I've finished it.. and happy to have done so.

I'm re-watching DBGT. Planning on re-watching Witch Hunter Robin and Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040. Might even give Ergo Proxy another go. It takes a while before I'm ready to re-watch anime though, but I do re-watch everything I own sooner or later since I forget what the anime was about not too long after watching it, hence why I buy them as soon as I can.

I want to re-watch "I want to eat your pancreas" again, but it has such a gut-wrenchingly sad ending that I keep putting it off.

I also want to watch "Little Busters" again. I wasn't too impressed with it first time round, so it'll be interesting to see what I think of it second time round.

• 4 weeks later...