How It Should Have Ended

Lone Lancer

Has anyone watched a great anime that they think could have been better? What are some of your titles that you think could have had a more appropriate conclusion?

Welcome to the NHK

"Welcome to the NHK" was great by any standard but, I think it could have actually been even better than it was. Had I been the head writer, I would have made it where the tone gradually shifted more toward a suspense thriller direction, where it turned out that there really was a conspiracy to keep down the guy, and that the secret organization was using next generation technology to project illusions ( similar to "Chaos;Head" ) with the aim to gaslight him into thinking that he was only delusional. In the finale, I would have it where it all culminates in a John Carpenter's "They Live" style showdown. Since firearms aren't readily available for civillian purchase in Japan, something would need to be worked out to give the character a fighting chance against his enemies. Maybe have it where he got his toys from the Yakuza or something?

Edited by Kōyamaki

Off the top of my head I can think of two series that would have been better if they'd had a proper ending.

1. Neon Genesis Evangelion. An impressive and influential series totally ruined by the mess they made of the final two episodes. Did they run out of money or time, or both, to create properly animated episodes and had to make do with what appeared to be a series of vaguely animated storyboards. Or had they just piled so many plots twists, turns and sub-plots that they'd "painted themselves into a corner" and didn't have the faintest idea how to end the story.

2. Last Exile. Another series with initially a good story idea, but no real idea of how to end the story, resulting in the final episodes being a muddled and confusing mess.

In my view both series suffered from the same fault. A good story needs a beginning, a middle and an end. Both series had a good beginning and a good middle but the creators didn't give enough thought to the ending.

7 hours ago, Kōyamaki said:

Has anyone watched a great anime that they think could have been better? What are some of your titles that you think could have had a more appropriate conclusion?

Welcome to the NHK

"Welcome to the NHK" was great by any standard but, I think it could have actually been even better than it was. Had I been the head writer, I would have made it where the tone gradually shifted more toward a suspense thriller direction, where it turned out that there really was a conspiracy to keep down the guy, and that the secret organization was using next generation technology to project illusions ( similar to "Chaos;Head" ) with the aim to gaslight him into thinking that he was only delusional. In the finale, I would have it where it all culminates in a John Carpenter's "They Live" style showdown. Since firearms aren't readily available for civillian purchase in Japan, something would need to be worked out to give the character a fighting chance against his enemies. Maybe have it where he got his toys from the Yakuza or something?

Well I think the point of 'Welcome to the NHK' was to show how conspiratorial thinking, and viewing the world as out to get you is dangerous and leads to misery and depression. I mean only by leaving his apartment and getting on with his life dose Tatsuhiro end up getting a somewhat better one. 

I think, Blue Gender could have had a less rushed ending. Not saying the intended ending is bad (Humans must live with the Earth and all that mumbo) but it happens way to quickly. In like twenty seconds three episodes fly by.