New but old

RNRC

Hey everyone.

Good to be here, I've watched a lot of anime but never had time to forum or anything. Figured I'd spend some time seeing other's ideas on the topic because I plan to write one.

What do you guys think anime is missing?

Welcome aboard. Make yourself at home.

What is anime missing?
I've thought long and hard about this and not really come to any conclusions. Although I've made several comments in various topics on the forum about specific anime series that I think have been missing something.

Perhaps I could ask why you think anime is missing something.

• Like 1

On 9/20/2022 at 10:58 PM, RNRC said:

Hey everyone.

Good to be here, I've watched a lot of anime but never had time to forum or anything. Figured I'd spend some time seeing other's ideas on the topic because I plan to write one.

Welcome to the forum. So what do I think anime is missing? Aside from a handful of underused premises and themes, not really a whole lot. There are quite a number that I liked that I believe could have been written to be even better. There is certainly never a shortage of pretty girls, although I think it would be nice to see more tall women with ripped figures. With that being said, I do think that the trend toward fan service has come at the expense of the plot development of many anime - to the point where the cleavage being shown becomes more important than the story itself is; I think this is unfortunate.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 9/22/2022 at 5:19 AM, Animedragon said:

Welcome aboard. Make yourself at home.

What is anime missing?
I've thought long and hard about this and not really come to any conclusions. Although I've made several comments in various topics on the forum about specific anime series that I think have been missing something.

Perhaps I could ask why you think anime is missing something.

Well, its more of an inquiry into finding new ideas. I'm attempting to make my own stories and love to hear feedback about certain genres. What do you look for.. What catches your eye? Do you prefer high action or more romance? Every opinion matters

12 hours ago, Kōyamaki said:

With that being said, I do think that the trend toward fan service has come at the expense of the plot development of many anime - to the point where the cleavage being shown becomes more important than the story itself is; I think this is unfortunate.

I feel the exact same way. I prefer a good plot as well

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, RNRC said:

What do you look for.. What catches your eye?  Every opinion matters

What do I look for and what catches my eye.
Well a good plot and storyline that is both believable and consistent is important, it doesn't really matter how impossible or implausible it is in real life, as long as it's written and presented in a way that is believable.
Another important factor is well developed characters that you can 'connect' with so that you actually care about what happens to them.
High quality artwork and animation for both the characters and the backgrounds is a big plus as is a good soundtrack because music often plays as big a part in setting the tone of a scene as the visuals.

• Agree 3

8 hours ago, Animedragon said:

What do I look for and what catches my eye.
Well a good plot and storyline that is both believable and consistent is important, it doesn't really matter how impossible or implausible it is in real life, as long as it's written and presented in a way that is believable.
Another important factor is well developed characters that you can 'connect' with so that you actually care about what happens to them.
High quality artwork and animation for both the characters and the backgrounds is a big plus as is a good soundtrack because music often plays as big a part in setting the tone of a scene as the visuals.

Bad music - almost a rarity in anime, can nearly be enough to break a good show. I thoroughly enjoyed the supernatural comedy anime, "Actually I Am", but I hated the soundtrack in it.

• Like 1

On 9/23/2022 at 6:00 PM, RNRC said:

What do you look for.. What catches your eye?

Well, I usually go for something serious so shows like; Monster, Pyscho Pass, Ergo Proxy. Or if I want to watch something a little less serious, but with more action (or at the very least more hype in the moment-to-moment story telling) I like to watch shows like Fate UBW, Hunter x Hunter, Death Note, Code Geass. I still say these shows aren't just dumb fun, they still have something to say. But those are the two types of shows I mostly seek out. As for specific genres, I don't really discard anything. From magical girl, suspense thriller, mecha, battle royal, space opera. I've pretty much watched them all.

The only genre's I'm not a huge fan of is Slice of Life and Iseaki. Not sure why but I've never found a show in either I'd rate especially high, not sure if it just the genres themselves or if I've yet to find a show in them which I really find special. 

• Like 1

On 9/20/2022 at 8:58 PM, RNRC said:

Welcome!

What’s missing - and not just from anime - is science fiction.  The real kind based on actual science, not repackaged swords and sorcery or depending on bafflegab and phantasy physics to bamboozle the audience.  Really, really hard to get right but so awesome when achieved.