Anime recommendations request.

Wild Emotion

Question

10 answers to this question

Neon Genesis Evangelion - a psychological deconstruction of Mecha anime, Ergo Proxy if often compared to it due to both using a lot of philosophy and symbolism to tell its narrative 

Phantom: Requiem of the Phantom - is another psychological-philosophical anime like Ergo Proxy in that regard. It's on my watch list, due to it being within the same 'genre' of anime like Ergo so it might be worth a shot. 

Wolfs Rain - this is one of those barely talked about shows however it got some serious similarities to Ergo Proxy. Both are set in a post-apocalyptic world with high technology present. Both deal with esoteric plots with lots of symbolism. And the story is centred around superhuman beings - in Ergo Proxy it's the Proxy's and in Wolfs Rain it's the Wolfs. 

Puella Magi Madoka Magica - the famed deconstruction of the Magical Girls genre. Don't let the pastal coloured hair fool you however, for its actually a pretty mature series filed with symbolism.

Fate/Zero - a prequel to Fate Stay Night, this is a dark, philosophical take on the ethics of heroes, justice and ideals. Unlimited Blade Works also deals with similar themes but in a more Shounen less Senien way. 

Psycho Pass - the first series is another philosophical anime which explores the efficacy of the law, those that enforce it and those that break it. 

Monster - This is a fairly long show, at around 74 episodes, it absolutely fantastic. It a phycological thriller with some serious philosophical questions raised throughout the course of the series. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Otaking66lives said:

If you're a fan of Ergo Proxy, I would recommend Serial Experiments Lain(a bit of an older anime) and Technolyze. 

Thanks! :D

11 minutes ago, MediaConsumesMe said:

Neon Genesis Evangelion - a psychological deconstruction of Mecha anime, Ergo Proxy if often compared to it due to both using a lot of philosophy and symbolism to tell its narrative 

Phantom: Requiem of the Phantom - is another psychological-philosophical anime like Ergo Proxy in that regard. It's on my watch list, due to it being within the same 'genre' of anime like Ergo so it might be worth a shot. 

Wolfs Rain - this is one of those barely talked about shows however it got some serious similarities to Ergo Proxy. Both are set in a post-apocalyptic world with high technology present. Both deal with esoteric plots with lots of symbolism. And the story is centred around superhuman beings - in Ergo Proxy it's the Proxy's and in Wolfs Rain it's the Wolfs. 

Puella Magi Madoka Magica - the famed deconstruction of the Magical Girls genre. Don't let the pastal coloured hair fool you however, for its actually a pretty mature series filed with symbolism.

Fate/Zero - a prequel to Fate Stay Night, this is a dark, philosophical take on the ethics of heroes, justice and ideals. Unlimited Blade Works also deals with similar themes but in a more Shounen less Senien way. 

Psycho Pass - the first series is another philosophical anime which explores the efficacy of the law, those that enforce it and those that break it. 

Monster - This is a fairly long show, at around 74 episodes, it absolutely fantastic. It a phycological thriller with some serious philosophical questions raised throughout the course of the series. 

Thanks a bunch! I've got Evangelion and Wolf's Rain but not the rest. I'll take a look at the rest of them. Much appreciated. 

• Cool (Kakkoii) 1

11 minutes ago, Otaku Gamer said:

Thanks! :D

Thanks a bunch! I've got Evangelion and Wolf's Rain but not the rest. I'll take a look at the rest of them. Much appreciated. 

Another good one I just remembered is Paranoia Agent. The four you've not seen yet were all written by Gen Urobuchi. Of those I've not yet seen Phantom, but if it by the Butcher it must be pretty good. Another show I've heard of is RapXephon. Not watched that one yet, but it's a Mecha show which shares similarities to Evangelion from my understanding. 

1 hour ago, MediaConsumesMe said:

Another good one I just remembered is Paranoia Agent. The four you've not seen yet were all written by Gen Urobuchi. Of those I've not yet seen Phantom, but if it by the Butcher it must be pretty good. Another show I've heard of is RapXephon. Not watched that one yet, but it's a Mecha show which shares similarities to Evangelion from my understanding. 

I've got RahXephon too, it's pretty awesome to see. It's pretty freaky to see blue blood come out of certain characters' wounds though, but still interesting. Although I can't remember why it's blue. I'll check out Paranoia Agent too. Thanks again for the added recommendation. :D

• Cool (Kakkoii) 1

Hm, these all won't probably be similar to Ergo Proxy, but, I have some recommendations to some anime in the genre!

- Dusk Maiden of Amnesia 
- Serial Experiments Lain
- Blood-C
- Another

11 minutes ago, PogFrog said:

Hm, these all won't probably be similar to Ergo Proxy, but, I have some recommendations to some anime in the genre!

- Dusk Maiden of Amnesia 
- Serial Experiments Lain
- Blood-C
- Another

Thanks for the recommendations! I'll look into them. ^^

2 hours ago, Otaku Gamer said:

Thanks for the recommendations! I'll look into them. ^^

I will say, the Anime 'Another' is sorta...messed up and gory - lol.

12 minutes ago, PogFrog said:

I will say, the Anime 'Another' is sorta...messed up and gory - lol.

Death by umbrella in the first episode.. yeah, you could say that.  :) 

• Funny 1