What anime(s) did you watch as a kid(or teenager)?

Wild Emotion

What animes did you watch when you were growing up?

For me, it was DBZ, Yugioh, Fist of the North Star, Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040. Even some Silent Mobius but not all of it, I only caught it sometimes but it looked really interesting.

That's pretty much what I grew up with. Oh, and InuYasha.

How about y'all? What anime(s) did you watch when you were growing up?

• Like 2

My first was Star Blazers (the Americanized version of Space Battleship Ysmato) & the Galaxy Express 999 movie around the same time. I saw a couple eps of Battle of the Planets (Gatchaman) but really wasn’t into it. Next was probably Voltron (Go Lion). The next one to really have an impact on me was probably Robotech (Macross/Southern Cross/Genesis Climber Mospeda) but also watched stuff like Tranzor (Mazinger)  Z, Dragonball (pre-Z) Sailor Moon (DIC version), Pokemon & Monster Rancher. I didn’t get into the uncut/unedited stuff till I was in my 20s as we didn’t have cable & I needed a job before i could by anime on VHS.

Edited by Ohayotaku
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, Ohayotaku said:

My first was Star Blazers (the Americanized version of Space Battleship Ysmato) & the Galaxy Express 999 movie around the same time. I saw a couple eps of Battle of the Planets (Gatchaman) but really wasn’t into it. Next was probably Voltron (Go Lion). The next one to really have an impact on me was probably Robotech (Macross/Southern Cross/Genesis Climber Mospeda) but also watched stuff like Tranzor (Mazinger)  Z, Dragonball (pre-Z) Sailor Moon (DIC version), Pokemon & Monster Rancher. I didn’t get into the uncut/unedited stuff till I was in my 20s as we didn’t have cable & I needed a job before i could by anime on VHS.

That's a lot more than I saw as a kid. lol You watched quite a variety of animes.

1 hour ago, Otaku Gamer said:

I didn't watch any anime until I was in my mid 40's because I didn't even know such a thing as anime existed.

26 years later I know about anime and watch it just about every day at lunch and dinner time.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Otaku Gamer said:

For me, it was DBZ, Yugioh, Fist of the North Star, Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040. Even some Silent Mobius but not all of it, I only caught it sometimes but it looked really interesting.

That's pretty much what I grew up with. Oh, and InuYasha.

How about y'all? What anime(s) did you watch when you were growing up?

For me it was Digimon, pokemon, Naruto, dragon ball z (to be exact I mainly played the game but I would also watch it a lot), nisekoi, the devil is a part timer or anything that I could find on Netflix pretty much. I didn’t know anime was a thing after a long time since I though pokemon and digimon were cartoons but I guess also a lot of people were like me. Even thought I watched shows from the 90’s to 2000’s, I may be the youngest on this forum from what I heard.

• Like 2

If you're talking about my teenage years then that's some pretty ancient history.  :D  (For context, the Intel 8080 wasn't invented until I was 10 years old, and I was in late middle- or early high school when the first IBM PC with the original 8086 CPU came out.  Cellphones, the internet, and other modern necessities were to be found only in science fiction stories set in the far future.)

That said, I think the earliest actual anime that I can remember were things like Tranzor Z (Mazinger Z) and the original Speed Racer.  I also remember Space Pirate Captain Harlock (late 70s version), as well as Ohayotaku's Star Blazers and Galaxy Express 999, though those came a bit later.

Let's see...as a kid I watched G-Force, Speed Racer, Casshan, Voltron, New Dominion Tank Police, My Neighbor Totoro, and Street Fighter the animated series. Out of those named, I think Street Fighter, My Neighbor Totoro, and G-Force were the only ones that I really loved. There were a few other titles that I loved but can never remember the names of.

@Soramee_ "The Devil is a Part Timer!" is easily one of the greatest anime comedies ever made.

@Otaku Gamer FOTNS is not exactly PG material, I'm surprised that your parents were cool with you watching something that violent. It is a classic though.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, Animedragon said:

I didn't watch any anime until I was in my mid 40's because I didn't even know such a thing as anime existed.

26 years later I know about anime and watch it just about every day at lunch and dinner time.

Nice. Like they say, it's never too late to get into anime, right? :)

3 hours ago, Soramee_ said:

For me it was Digimon, pokemon, Naruto, dragon ball z (to be exact I mainly played the game but I would also watch it a lot), nisekoi, the devil is a part timer or anything that I could find on Netflix pretty much. I didn’t know anime was a thing after a long time since I though pokemon and digimon were cartoons but I guess also a lot of people were like me. Even thought I watched shows from the 90’s to 2000’s, I may be the youngest on this forum from what I heard.

Interesting. Do you know how long Netflix has been around? I genuinely don't know, but I'm curious to find out.

50 minutes ago, efaardvark said:

If you're talking about my teenage years then that's some pretty ancient history.  :D  (For context, the Intel 8080 wasn't invented until I was 10 years old, and I was in late middle- or early high school when the first IBM PC with the original 8086 CPU came out.  Cellphones, the internet, and other modern necessities were to be found only in science fiction stories set in the far future.)

That said, I think the earliest actual anime that I can remember were things like Tranzor Z (Mazinger Z) and the original Speed Racer.  I also remember Space Pirate Captain Harlock (late 70s version), as well as Ohayotaku's Star Blazers and Galaxy Express 999, though those came a bit later.

Isn't it kind of ironic how cell phones used to be scifi? Pretty strange times we live in. I probably could've phrased my question differently though, like "What was your first anime experience?" Sorry about that, I wasn't thinking it through.😅

41 minutes ago, Kōyamaki said:

Let's see...as a kid I watched G-Force, Speed Racer, Casshan, Voltron, New Dominion Tank Police, My Neighbor Totoro, and Street Fighter the animated series. Out of those named, I think Street Fighter, My Neighbor Totoro, and G-Force were the only ones that I really loved. There were a few other titles that I loved but can never remember the names of.

@Soramee_ "The Devil is a Part Timer!" is easily one of the greatest anime comedies ever made.

@Otaku Gamer FOTNS is not exactly PG material, I'm surprised that your parents were cool with you watching something that violent. It is a classic though.

It gets frustrating when you can't remember certain titles of anime you liked. I remember there's a few shows I liked that I just can't remember the names of.

To be fair though, it was back when Showtime Beyond was airing anime. Mom and dad never really cared what I watched, they were cool with what I was going to watch because I could really be a confrontational kid. Plus I think they just wanted to give me some independence. They never saw any of the episodes though, so I don't think they ever realized the level of gore in FotNS. lol Wasn't their fault, I was just determined.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Otaku Gamer said:

That's a lot more than I saw as a kid. lol You watched quite a variety of animes.

I watch even more & a greater variety as an adult :P 

9 hours ago, Animedragon said:

3 hours ago, Soramee_ said:

I didn’t know anime was a thing after a long time since I though pokemon and digimon

I don’t remember when I first heard the term “anime”, definitely not until I was in my later teens. But I still recognized Star Blazers being on a different level from other “cartoons” on tv at the time. Though I probably would’ve mistaken Thundercats as anime at the time. There was also a Saturday morning series called Mighty Orbots that had pretty close ties to the anime industry but I think was actually created exclusively for North American markets. (actually just checked & it is listed on MAL along with Cyber Six which was another series I watched). Final series I’ll mention is I also remember watching some of Ulysses 31.

But yeah, Star Blazers & Robotech were thr 2 biggest early influences on me.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ohayotaku said:

I watch even more & a greater variety as an adult :P 

I don’t remember when I first heard the term “anime”, definitely not until I was in my later teens. But I still recognized Star Blazers being on a different level from other “cartoons” on tv at the time. Though I probably would’ve mistaken Thundercats as anime at the time. There was also a Saturday morning series called Mighty Orbots that had pretty close ties to the anime industry but I think was actually created exclusively for North American markets. (actually just checked & it is listed on MAL along with Cyber Six which was another series I watched). Final series I’ll mention is I also remember watching some of Ulysses 31.

But yeah, Star Blazers & Robotech were thr 2 biggest early influences on me.

Shows you've got good taste. :D

• Agree 1

Doraemon. In South East Asia at my time, cartoons were mainly unlicensed with a very small amount. And Doraemon was the only anime that got through. Ah, nostalgia hits hard... I still remember the scene where all the neighbour kids sat around a small television to watch "Doremon". Happy childhood

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Otaku Gamer said:

Nice. Like they say, it's never too late to get into anime, right? :)

Correct, and you're never too old to watch anime either !

(And if somebody tries to tell you otherwise just tell than that you know a 70 year old anime fan.)

• Agree 2
  • Friendly 1

Since this anime came out in 2002, and I was born 3yrs after it was released...I would say I was around..mmm, 4 when I remember watching it...

Naruto...

It's an anime all well known, and over-populated- BUT- differ from all that society stuff, if you watched this anime during its release, or in the 2000's...
You sure will understand the love the older Naruto enjoyers have for it...

It was the FIRST anime I ever watched! With my dad! ^^

• Friendly 1
  • Cool (Kakkoii) 1

5 hours ago, Animedragon said:

Correct, and you're never too old to watch anime either !

(And if somebody tries to tell you otherwise just tell than that you know a 70 year old anime fan.)

If someone tells me otherwise I'll probably start an argument. I can be very confrontational. lol :P

3 hours ago, PogFrog said:

Since this anime came out in 2002, and I was born 3yrs after it was released...I would say I was around..mmm, 4 when I remember watching it...

Naruto...

It's an anime all well known, and over-populated- BUT- differ from all that society stuff, if you watched this anime during its release, or in the 2000's...
You sure will understand the love the older Naruto enjoyers have for it...

It was the FIRST anime I ever watched! With my dad! ^^

An excellent anime. I remember the first time I watched it, I was really taken in by it. To this day, my favorite duo are Zabuza Momochi and Haku. :D Got any favorite characters from it?

1 hour ago, Nicholas D. Wolfwood said:

Any  Anime that was on Toonami in the Late 90's  is what I watched

Kind of same, but some things on Toonami I didn't watch. Did any shows stand out to you?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nicholas D. Wolfwood said:

Any  Anime that was on Toonami in the Late 90's  is what I watched

Kind of same, but some things on Toonami I didn't watch. Did any shows stand out to you?

dragon ball Z (the original long before DBZ kai)

Gundam wing

Ronin Warriors

and tenchi

and out lawstar

that is all I can remember  for now

3 hours ago, Nicholas D. Wolfwood said:

dragon ball Z (the original long before DBZ kai)

Gundam wing

Ronin Warriors

and tenchi

and out lawstar

that is all I can remember  for now

Oh man, I forgot about Ronin Warriors. That was an awesome show. It's always nice to meet a fellow Z fan. :D

I never watched any in my childhood. It was in my late teens, early adulthood so around either eighteen or nineteen when I watched my first anime. My brother showed me Yamato 2199 (remake) and then we watched Goblin Slayer, Legend of the Galactic Heroes (remake). We rewatched the three shows sometime just before the release of the second seasons of Yamato and Legend of the Galactic Heroes came out. At that time, I didn't consider myself an 'anime fan' just a guy who watched an occasional anime. 

I think Covid ended up delaying Goblin Slayer season 2 and the movie.

At some point I had watched Evangelion. I remember attempting it once when I was a lot younger, around the time I was revisiting the Halo 3 scene - so some time after the Master Chief Collection failure of a launch. However, I never finished it at that time, work or something came up. My brother sometime after we'd watched LOTGH, Goblin Slayer and Yamato decided to watch it and then I rewatched it with him. I didn't finish the show that time either, as my brother explained that the last two episodes come after End of Evangelion. So, we watched that film first, then it wasn't until a year later when I watched the final two episodes. 

I can't remember if we rewatched it all and then I finally saw the two ending episodes or if we legitimately just sat me through the last two episodes for completion's sake. 

Craziest part was all that was over the course of two years. 

Then I watched Fate/Apocrypha when I was around 21. During the Covid pandemic. 

See the source image

That's when I saw the light and descended into a full on weeb. 

Because suddenly I was watching way more shows. I don't know if Nasu had placed some kind of hypnosis in this show, but damn it awoke something inside of me. Not only did it inspire me to watch way, way more anime than I had previously but also made me a full-on Fate fan. Which is a strange entry anime - but well it is what it is. 

As an added introspective this was the first anime, I choose to watch solo, no arm pulling by someone else. 

I didn't realize it back then but; 

13 hours ago, MediaConsumesMe said:

I never watched any in my childhood. It was in my late teens, early adulthood so around either eighteen or nineteen when I watched my first anime. My brother showed me Yamato 2199 (remake) and then we watched Goblin Slayer, Legend of the Galactic Heroes (remake). We rewatched the three shows sometime just before the release of the second seasons of Yamato and Legend of the Galactic Heroes came out. At that time, I didn't consider myself an 'anime fan' just a guy who watched an occasional anime. 

I think Covid ended up delaying Goblin Slayer season 2 and the movie.

At some point I had watched Evangelion. I remember attempting it once when I was a lot younger, around the time I was revisiting the Halo 3 scene - so some time after the Master Chief Collection failure of a launch. However, I never finished it at that time, work or something came up. My brother sometime after we'd watched LOTGH, Goblin Slayer and Yamato decided to watch it and then I rewatched it with him. I didn't finish the show that time either, as my brother explained that the last two episodes come after End of Evangelion. So, we watched that film first, then it wasn't until a year later when I watched the final two episodes. 

I can't remember if we rewatched it all and then I finally saw the two ending episodes or if we legitimately just sat me through the last two episodes for completion's sake. 

Craziest part was all that was over the course of two years. 

Then I watched Fate/Apocrypha when I was around 21. During the Covid pandemic. 

See the source image

That's when I saw the light and descended into a full on weeb. 

Because suddenly I was watching way more shows. I don't know if Nasu had placed some kind of hypnosis in this show, but damn it awoke something inside of me. Not only did it inspire me to watch way, way more anime than I had previously but also made me a full-on Fate fan. Which is a strange entry anime - but well it is what it is. 

As an added introspective this was the first anime, I choose to watch solo, no arm pulling by someone else. 

I didn't realize it back then but; 

Interesting. I've thought about giving the Fate franchise a shot. As someone who wants to, but isn't really sure where to start, which Fate series would you suggest for a starter?

The path of anime can turn into a spiral sometimes, but that's not necessarily a bad thing, right? :D 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Otaku Gamer said:

Interesting. I've thought about giving the Fate franchise a shot. As someone who wants to, but isn't really sure where to start, which Fate series would you suggest for a starter?

Oh boy, well Otaku Gamer you may not have realised this but...

You just asked my favourite question. 

The way I got into Fate was through Apocrypha, however that because I barely even knew what anime much less what Fate was all about. So my path isn't the norm, however I do know the quote on quote 'correct' path into walking into Hell. 

So, getting into Fate is firstly not as difficult as many of the Fate fans and anime fans in general make it out to be. Firstly, you have two equally valid choices. Either start with Fate/Zero or Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works. Basically Fate/Zero is the prequel to all the Fate/Stay Night series. I choose Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works as the first in that because it the most modern and most accessible of the three Stay Night stories. 

That's basically the easiest way to get into Fate. Pick one of the two ufotable shows and start from there. 

However, if you're feeling brave open the spoiler below for the rest of the series and what way to approach them; 

Spoiler

Once you've watched either Fate/Zero and then watched Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works or vice a versa you can move swiftly onto Fate/Stay Night Heaven Feel. It another sequel or continuation of Fate/Zero but it got different plot threads and character development/motivation to Unlimited Blade Works. Also, Fate/Heaven Feel as one of the darkest tones in Fate, next to Fate/Zero.

After you've watched the three Fate/Stay Night Heaven Feel movies now you have a couple more options open up to you. 

The first is watch Fate/Stay Night. As this one came out in 2006, it might not look the best. But the stories still pretty dope and it's the Saber route. Or you can move onto the spin offs. In no particular order that would be Fate/Apocrypha, Fate/Extra Last Encore, Fate/Prototype, Fate/Strange Fake, The Case Files of Lord El-Melloi the II, Fate/Kalied Liner Prisma Illya and Fate/Grand Order. 

Of those Fate/Strange Fake is releasing its first special this year on the 31st of December.

Fate/Prototype is a little OVA that was released showcasing a 'what might have been' series. 

Lord El-Melloi continues the story of one of the masters from Fate/Zero. 

Fate/Kalied Liner Prisma Illya is set in an alternate timeline were Illya a character from Stay Night is now a magical girl. 

Fate/Extra Last Encore has the most serious level of knowledge requirement to watch. It basically a sequel to a PSP RPG called Fate/Extra but only a sequel to one of its bad endings. So yeah, a hard one for even the most knowledgeable big brainy Fate fans. 

Fate/Apocrypha is an adaptation of a Light Novel series, it set in an alternate world to Stay Night and the MC is basically a Diet Shirou - but he doesn't nearly love swords as much. Also, Astolfo proves it takes a real man to be best girl. 

And Fate/Grand Order dose have a timeline of its own beginning with. Fate/Grand Order First Order, Fate/Grand Order Divine Realm of the Round Table: Camelot - Wandering; Atageram and that movies sequel called Paladin; Atageram. Then there is Fate/Grand Order: Absolute Demonic Front - Babylonia, followed by Fate/Grand Order: Final Singularity - Grand Temple of Time: Solomon and finally Fate/Grand Order Moonlight/Lostroom. 

And that is all the Fate's so far. I won't go into crazy detail on each. I think what the confusing part is, is accepting that really you can tackle the spin offs in any order. Beyond Grand Order which has its own internal timeline. 

• Like 2

On 10/17/2022 at 12:05 PM, MediaConsumesMe said:

Oh boy, well Otaku Gamer you may not have realised this but...

You just asked my favourite question. 

The way I got into Fate was through Apocrypha, however that because I barely even knew what anime much less what Fate was all about. So my path isn't the norm, however I do know the quote on quote 'correct' path into walking into Hell. 

So, getting into Fate is firstly not as difficult as many of the Fate fans and anime fans in general make it out to be. Firstly, you have two equally valid choices. Either start with Fate/Zero or Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works. Basically Fate/Zero is the prequel to all the Fate/Stay Night series. I choose Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works as the first in that because it the most modern and most accessible of the three Stay Night stories. 

That's basically the easiest way to get into Fate. Pick one of the two ufotable shows and start from there. 

However, if you're feeling brave open the spoiler below for the rest of the series and what way to approach them; 

Hide contents

Once you've watched either Fate/Zero and then watched Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works or vice a versa you can move swiftly onto Fate/Stay Night Heaven Feel. It another sequel or continuation of Fate/Zero but it got different plot threads and character development/motivation to Unlimited Blade Works. Also, Fate/Heaven Feel as one of the darkest tones in Fate, next to Fate/Zero.

After you've watched the three Fate/Stay Night Heaven Feel movies now you have a couple more options open up to you. 

The first is watch Fate/Stay Night. As this one came out in 2006, it might not look the best. But the stories still pretty dope and it's the Saber route. Or you can move onto the spin offs. In no particular order that would be Fate/Apocrypha, Fate/Extra Last Encore, Fate/Prototype, Fate/Strange Fake, The Case Files of Lord El-Melloi the II, Fate/Kalied Liner Prisma Illya and Fate/Grand Order. 

Of those Fate/Strange Fake is releasing its first special this year on the 31st of December.

Fate/Prototype is a little OVA that was released showcasing a 'what might have been' series. 

Lord El-Melloi continues the story of one of the masters from Fate/Zero. 

Fate/Kalied Liner Prisma Illya is set in an alternate timeline were Illya a character from Stay Night is now a magical girl. 

Fate/Extra Last Encore has the most serious level of knowledge requirement to watch. It basically a sequel to a PSP RPG called Fate/Extra but only a sequel to one of its bad endings. So yeah, a hard one for even the most knowledgeable big brainy Fate fans. 

Fate/Apocrypha is an adaptation of a Light Novel series, it set in an alternate world to Stay Night and the MC is basically a Diet Shirou - but he doesn't nearly love swords as much. Also, Astolfo proves it takes a real man to be best girl. 

And Fate/Grand Order dose have a timeline of its own beginning with. Fate/Grand Order First Order, Fate/Grand Order Divine Realm of the Round Table: Camelot - Wandering; Atageram and that movies sequel called Paladin; Atageram. Then there is Fate/Grand Order: Absolute Demonic Front - Babylonia, followed by Fate/Grand Order: Final Singularity - Grand Temple of Time: Solomon and finally Fate/Grand Order Moonlight/Lostroom. 

And that is all the Fate's so far. I won't go into crazy detail on each. I think what the confusing part is, is accepting that really you can tackle the spin offs in any order. Beyond Grand Order which has its own internal timeline. 

That is one elaborate answer I wasn't expecting. Thanks for getting into so much detail though, I had no idea it could look so complex from the surface.

• Funny 2

14 hours ago, Otaku Gamer said:

That is one elaborate answer I wasn't expecting. Thanks for getting into so much detail though, I had no idea it could look so complex from the surface.

It's Fate so from the outside looking in, it always looks confusing. Trust me it not nearly as complex as it looks written out.

1 hour ago, MediaConsumesMe said:

It's Fate so from the outside looking in, it always looks confusing. Trust me it not nearly as complex as it looks written out.

I hope not, because when a story's overly complex it goes over my head. lol If I can watch and understand Ghost in the Shell though I think I'll be able to understand the Fate series.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

My first two anime were the Diamond and Pearl season of Pokémon and Dragon Ball Z Kai. At the time I thought they were American cartoons with a similar art style to Avatar: The Last Airbender since I didn't know better. With Pokémon I didn't watch it regularly until the awful Best Wishes season and I gave up on Dragon Ball quickly because I had no idea what was happening.

As a teen I watched several dozen different anime. The ones I enjoyed the most were Death Note, The Daily Lives of High School Boys, Erased (despite the weird ending), and Welcome To The N.H.K. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...