Any outer space anime recommendations?

Wild Emotion

Question

16 answers to this question

Angel Links takes place in an alternate version of Outlaw Star’s setting, but not considered very good. Pretty sure the lizard dude who’s a supporting character was in an episode of Outlaw Star. Coyote Ragtime Show kind of has a similar feel with it’s space  outlaws & action.

Space Operas: Crest/Banner of the Stars • Captain Harlock/Arcadia of my Youth/Queen Emeraldas • Star Blazers 2199/2202 • Iron Blooded Orphans

Other possibilities: Gene Shaft, Vandread, Irresponsible Captain Tylor, Martian Successor Nadesico,  Orbital Children, Bodacious Space  Pirates

Edited by Ohayotaku
Also, the prologue episode of Witch from Mercury seemed kinda similar to StrAIn with it’s female protag with a personal vendetta. Of course there’s always Macross

2 hours ago, Ohayotaku said:

Angel Links takes place in an alternate version of Outlaw Star’s setting, but not considered very good. Pretty sure the lizard dude who’s a supporting character was in an episode of Outlaw Star. Coyote Ragtime Show kind of has a similar feel with it’s space  outlaws & action.

Space Operas: Crest/Banner of the Stars • Captain Harlock/Arcadia of my Youth/Queen Emeraldas • Star Blazers 2199/2202 • Iron Blooded Orphans

Other possibilities: Gene Shaft, Vandread, Irresponsible Captain Tylor, Martian Successor Nadesico,  Orbital Children, Bodacious Space  Pirates

Thanks a bunch! :D

I can't believe that no one has mentioned Gunbuster.

And here's two others for you consideration:

Starship Operators is good if you want a bit of political intrigue in your Sci-Fi.  It also has a rather unusual and interesting premise and also takes what might be described as a more realistic approach to space warfare.

Stellvia has an epic 'save the planet' storyline along with a First Contact scenario and of course cute girls and a couple of giant mecha. (what more could you want?)

5 minutes ago, Animedragon said:

I can't believe that no one has mentioned Gunbuster.

And here's two others for you consideration:

Starship Operators is good if you want a bit of political intrigue in your Sci-Fi.  It also has a rather unusual and interesting premise and also takes what might be described as a more realistic approach to space warfare.

Stellvia has an epic 'save the planet' storyline along with a First Contact scenario and of course cute girls and a couple of giant mecha. (what more could you want?)

Thanks! I'll take a look into 'em.

15 hours ago, Ohayotaku said:

These are some great picks, you can always count on @Ohayotaku for some awesome picks! 
Another anime Vet to count on B) 

13 minutes ago, PogFrog said:

These are some great picks, you can always count on @Ohayotaku for some awesome picks! 
Another anime Vet to count on B) 

11 minutes ago, Otaku Gamer said:

Yeah, always has some good ones to recommend from the requests I've asked about so far.

Thanks 😁 Largely the result of watching anime in some form or another for 40 years :P 

15 minutes ago, Otaku Gamer said:

Thanks! I was looking into Macross but it's all way out of my price range.

Yeah, outside of Robotech’s  opening arc, the franchise has been hard to come by outside Japan. That’s supposed to change in the near future, but not cheaply.

4 minutes ago, Ohayotaku said:

Thanks 😁 Largely the result of watching anime in some form or another for 40 years :P 

Yeah, outside of Robotech’s  opening arc, the franchise has been hard to come by outside Japan. That’s supposed to change in the near future, but not cheaply.

That's a lot of anime. :o I wish I could borrow from your collection at some point. lol

10 minutes ago, MediaConsumesMe said:

Legend of the Galactic Heroes is another good Space Opera series, there's two versions the original and the modern adaptation which is called The New Thesis.

Thanks for the recommendation. I appreciate it. ^^

3 hours ago, Otaku Gamer said:

Thanks! I was looking into Macross but it's all way out of my price range.

I brought the AnimEigo 9 disk box set back in 2001 and it was seriously expensive then, but somehow price didn't seem to matter when I was at an anime convention. Then at the end of the month I got my credit card bill, and Macross wasn't the only thing I brought at that convention. 😱😱😲

3 minutes ago, Animedragon said:

I brought the AnimEigo 9 disk box set back in 2001 and it was seriously expensive then, but somehow price didn't seem to matter when I was at an anime convention. Then at the end of the month I got my credit card bill, and Macross wasn't the only thing I brought at that convention. 😱😱😲

lol Still, I appreciate the recommendations, even the ones outside of my price range.

• Like 1