Favorite Protagonists?

Wild Emotion

So, I was just wondering, who are your favorite protagonists and what anime are they from? 

Personally, for me, Brandon Heat was an awesome hero that just kicked ass from Gungrave.

In DBGT I loved how Uub/Majuub was integral in the fight against Baby Vegeta. Vegeta never stopped trying, and I think that's important. He might not have been as strong as Goku in GT, but he always tried to keep the peace, even against insurmountable odds (looking at you, Super 17!).

In DBZ I loved how Trunks, despite coming from such an unforgiving timeline and going through the hardships he went through, still came out a hero in the end. I hated the evil 17 and 18 from his timeline, they were seriously unhinged psychopaths in his future. I liked them better from the other timeline, where they weren't so bad. Even seemed like Android 17 enjoyed driving that car. Honestly it was kind of weird but wholesome in a way. They were still trying to be human, despite Gero turning them into androids against their will.

In Chrono Crusade I loved how Chrono would almost always come through against Ion, despite being a devil himself. 

There's more, but I think that'll suffice for an opening post. How about you all? Who are your favorite protagonists and from which anime are they from?

Edited by Otaku Gamer

• Wild Emotion changed the title to Favorite Protagonists?
55 minutes ago, Animedragon said:

I've got quite a few favourites, but I'll start with Hikaru Ichijo. A stunt pilot from a family run flying circus who gets caught up in the space war and rises to become an ace fighter pilot and squadron leader.

Nice! Sounds like a pretty admirable character.

• Like 1

See the source image

One of my personal favourites is Doctor Tenma from Monster. His slow character growth and evolution throughout the show is something truly special. He has to juggle slowly becoming a monster as he goes after the serial killer whose murderous acts forced him on the run from law enforcement. There's also a quest for redemption as the serial killer was a boy he saved during his career as a doctor, so he feels responsible for saving the boy who would grow up to become a Monster. 

See the source image

Simon is also a character who goes on a massive journey throughout the course of Gurren Lagann going from a literal scared boy to a strong and honourable leader. He encapsulates the shows ideals and message in his strong development. Plus, he gets some awesome fight sequences where he goes all out and takes no shit. 

See the source image

Madoka is also a really cool character that again is central to the message and theme of the show she's the lead in. As she struggles to come to grips in the face of the reality of being a Magical Girl, but in the end still comes through and does the right thing. 

Spoiler

Sacrificing herself for all magical girls, undoing the deception and trickery that doomed so many at the expense of her life. Becoming a literal Goddess in the process. And this act also validates the original themes of magical girls - friendship, sacrifice and altruism which had been deconstruction and then reconstructed throughout the show. 

See the source image

And finally, Shirou Emyia, lover of swords and hero of justice. I like how Shirou is explored through the three routes, especially in Unlimited Blade Works where he is directly challenged and must overcome his own ideals and beliefs. I greatly appreciate the elements of deconstruction in his character, as his a more nuanced look on the Shonen protagonist - he's broken, idealistic and processed by a dream not his own but rather borrowed from another in an attempt to make up for his survivor's guilt. I'm looking forward to his return, hopefully in the Fate/Grand Order Lostbelt Phase 2 and will defiantly roll when his banner comes up. 

• Like 1
  • Love it! (Daisuki) 2
  • Cool (Kakkoii) 1

Thats a hard question who is my favourite Anime Protagonists? 

See the source image

First got to give a shout out to Susumu Kodai, first anime protagonist I watched back when I got into anime, great character arc in the story, he had good development as he worked past the death of his brother (spoilers for a show that originally aired in the 70's) and I loved the design which is a blend of modern and retro anime styles.

See the source image

But if were goanna talk about older shows, the classic OG Mecha protagonist of Amaro Ray has to get a mention. Once more I loved the character development here as he goes from a civilian kind of placed in the position of the white bases only MS pilot and their last chance for survival to ruthless solider and then to a more consensus figure that finally understands their purpose and what they have been fighting for all along.   

See the source image

Next got to mention Simon one of my all-time favourite Mecha series protagonists in one of the best Mecha shows I've ever watched, (and I've watched a lot)  I loved the development of the character but I really don't want to soil this one so all I can say is watch the show, it's fantastic with great action scenes and a riveting story even if it is short of a classic Gainax  series where themes are placed above consistency and realism, it is honestly amazing and I think Simon is what makes the show and the ending. Just watch it believe me if you haven't seen it is awesome.

See the source image

So next Reinhard von Lohengramm and yes, I would say he's the protagonist and not Yang Win Li I now controversial but the story starts and end with Reinhard and I think the original author even seems to view the character of Reinhard as the central figure of the story, the great man of history if you will (and yes, I'm just going to drop a weird intertextual reference like that) again an a great character with a lot of development. Like Simon though I'm risking major series spoilers speaking about his actions and how they affect the world and his development especially what happens at Geiersberg Fortress so yeah go watch it. You can either watch the original or the newer series I think their pretty similar at least in terms of Reinhards motivations and character.

See the source image

Light Yagami is another one that I'm sure is controversial to say is the protagonist but again like Reinhart he is the character we start and end the show with and I'm even more sure that was the authors intent here, so yeah Light is awesome and so is Death Note. He is one of those hyper smart protagonists that comes up with all manner of crazy schemes and is just a treat to watch.

See the source image

Edward Elric is another one of my favourite protagonists, really loved the arch, is romance with Winry and his development and that ending really ties it together (I'm talking about the Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood ending here as I haven't seen the original OG Fullmetal Alchemist run. One day) currently the only real battle-Shonen protagonist I've seen fully eventually he'll hopefully get joined by some other Shonen protagonists (just got to watch them at some point)

See the source image

Lelouch Vi Britannia is another one of my favourite protagonists, loved the character intelligence and design and ideals and that ending (original show ending here) was just unbelievable probably one of my favourite Anime endings of all time and again I've watched a lot of anime especially Mecha series and this one is right up there with show like Gurren Lagaan and Gundam, honestly so good and you needed to watch it at some point for Lelouch alone.

that was kinda longer than I originally planned but yeah.

17 minutes ago, MediaConsumesMe said:

Reveal hidden contents

Sacrificing herself for all magical girls, undoing the deception and trickery that doomed so many at the expense of her life. Becoming a literal Goddess in the process. And this act also validates the original themes of magical girls - friendship, sacrifice and altruism which had been deconstruction and then reconstructed throughout the show. 

See the source image

And finally, Shirou Emyia, lover of swords and hero of justice. I like how Shirou is explored through the three routes, especially in Unlimited Blade Works where he is directly challenged and must overcome his own ideals and beliefs. I greatly appreciate the elements of deconstruction in his character, as his a more nuanced look on the Shonen protagonist - he's broken, idealistic and processed by a dream not his own but rather borrowed from another in an attempt to make up for his survivor's guilt. I'm looking forward to his return, hopefully in the Fate/Grand Order Lostbelt Phase 2 and will defiantly roll when his banner comes up. 

No, I forgot Shirou, dam it I knew there was another Shonen protagonist I watched 

Edited by MarathonGuy1337
  • Like 2

See the source image

And I forgot Shinya Kogami, from Pyscho Pass. An underate protagonist in an underrated anime. Shinya Kogami is the perfect lead due to how he contrasts and interacts with Shogo Makishima (one of the best anime antagonists of all times). Kogami is not a cutty cutter good guy, he can be abrasive, harsh, aggressive and cold but his strong sense of justice and desire for revenge really draw you in to his struggle.

• Like 1

It's really hard to pinpoint my 'favourite' protagonist. Firstly because many of the shows I've watched are great story, mediocre characters, but Secondly because it's genuinely hard to make a compelling, interesting character the viewers can appreciate. Anyways, here's my favourite protagonist(s). (Semi-spoilers? I don't mention specific events)

• Eren Yeager (Attack on Titan)
    • Some call him generic, and that he screams too much, but I think Eren is one of the perfect example of the boundary between hero and villain, the meaning of true good and bad. He's neither good nor bad, just simply fighting for his ideals. But you all know him so let's not talk about him too much.
    • Attack on Titan Director Releases Eren Jaeger Sketch
  • Koyomi Araragi (Monogatari Series)
    • Behind his rather antisocial, 'cool' personality, he has a real sense of justice, a pure heart to care for others. At first, I thought he was really bland and boring, just another pervy character. However, as the story progressed, I grew attached to him more and more. He truly cares about his friends, and sacrifices himself for them multiple time, even while knowing the conseequences it would bring to him. And all this stays in character with him. He isn't suddenly full of justice because of 'plot', everything he does just... makes sense for him. That's not to say he doesn't drive the plot forward as well. He's a tremendously remarkable unremarkable character, if that makes any sense. A perfect fit for monogatari, and it breaks my heart to see him often misunderstood as just a 'horni teen'.
      Araragi Koyomi | Anime, Animes desconhecidos, Manga
  • Miyashiro Takuru (Chaos;Child)
    • Not 'anime', since he's from a visual novel, but still counts (yes there is a chaos;child anime but we don't talk about that). When the story starts, he is introduced to us as a 'right-sider', someone who is better thaneverybody else. He's extremely self centered and egoistic, and the readers are made to hate him. This already makes him quite unique and interesting. He isn't a generic 'relatable' or 'cool' mc, he's very arrogant and dis-likable. But we soon get to realise why he acts the way he does, and how he matures mentally from a child to an adult by the end of the story, learning how much he actually always cared about others, and that he's been lying to himself the whole time. Definitely my favourite character from the SciADV series, and one of the best instances of character development in any media in my opinion
      Chaos;Child Complete Series Review - Ani-Game News & Reviews

However, none of them even comes close to SENAPI FROM TEJINA SENPAI

Magical Sempai Season 2 Release Date and Updates - Spoiler Guy

(She is hot)

• Like 2
  • Cool (Kakkoii) 1

Sara Werec is another favorite protagonist of mine. She's determined, really stubborn, but a good person just trying to reach her brother and understand why he's gone insane. The ending of the Str.A.In series is bittersweet, but mostly sad. It's still one of my all-time favorites though, as is Sara.

Re-l Mayer and Vincent Law from Ergo Proxy.

Vegeta from the Z and GT series.

Trunks from the Z and GT series, even in Super (which I happen to like).

Pan in DBGT.

Goku in Z, GT and Super.

Abel Nightroad in Trinity Blood.

Edited by Otaku Gamer

Kinda a protag? A leading protag next to Naruto Uzumaki - Sasuke Uchiha. I resonate with him a lot, kinda kin him in a way - a great character if you ask me, and adding a lot of story to the Naruto series.
naruto_sasuke__part_ii.webp.dad8b537b44de665c2f7aec6378727cc.webp

Gon Freecss from HXH - Bubbly personality, but strong willed - absolutely love his power and growth in later episodes. Next to Killua.

gon_vector_by_neighthirst_d6i7df6-fullview.thumb.png.5cdfa2649ad139f226743a745c043f57.png

Ciel Phantomhive and Sebastian Michaelis from Black Butler (Kuroshitsuji) - This anime is one of my most ADORED animes on my watch lists, if you already seen it - GREAT - if you haven't, HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend it. 
image.png.e1b1fb7af52a67842a563c56dd5d9da3.png

• Friendly 1

2 hours ago, Animedragon said:

Shuji (Saikano) is a great protagonist, he finds out that his girlfriend has become a living weapons system and is no longer completely human, but he still loves her, cares for her and treats her as a normal person.

That's sweet. Does Saikano come dubbed?

On 10/30/2022 at 5:00 AM, Animedragon said:

I've got quite a few favourites, but I'll start with Hikaru Ichijo. A stunt pilot from a family run flying circus who gets caught up in the space war and rises to become an ace fighter pilot and squadron leader.

On 10/30/2022 at 7:44 AM, MarathonGuy1337 said:

First got to give a shout out to Susumu Kodai

aka Rick Hunter & Derek Wildstar respectively :P (both nostalgic favorites of mine as well)

I'll add another of my favourite protagonists; Miaka Yuki, from Fushigi Yugi. Throughout the series Miaka does some rather silly things, she also tends to act without really thinking which leads her into doing some very stupid things, but she takes her role seriously and her actions are usually based on good intentions, even if they're not the most sensible actions.
But throughout all the things that happen to her her belief and love for her best friend Yui never wavers no matter what Yui does to her.

• 2 months later...
On 10/30/2022 at 11:28 AM, MediaConsumesMe said:

See the source image

Senji Muramasa HD Wallpapers and Backgrounds

I pulled him on the banner. As an update on that, such a cool character. Still need to get past Babylonia and Solomon. And then the Epic of Remnants before I make it to Lostbelt. Surprisingly my stockpile of quarts for Muramasa was not eaten into nearly as much as I feared so I can still roll for Charlie and if I get lucky Arcueid Brunestud. 

ARCUEID BRUNESTUD | Wiki | •Anime• Amino

Type-moons original waifu, well not including Venus or the Angle from Notes... which is technically the first part of the whole Nasuverse. 

• Like 1

On 1/16/2023 at 12:12 PM, MediaConsumesMe said:

Senji Muramasa HD Wallpapers and Backgrounds

I pulled him on the banner. As an update on that, such a cool character. Still need to get past Babylonia and Solomon. And then the Epic of Remnants before I make it to Lostbelt. Surprisingly my stockpile of quarts for Muramasa was not eaten into nearly as much as I feared so I can still roll for Charlie and if I get lucky Arcueid Brunestud. 

ARCUEID BRUNESTUD | Wiki | •Anime• Amino

Type-moons original waifu, well not including Venus or the Angle from Notes... which is technically the first part of the whole Nasuverse. 

Nice choices. ^^