Favorite Antagonists?

Wild Emotion

Ok, so I've covered favorite protagonists, now I'm wondering who your favorite antagonists are, for any reasons you may have that I hope you'll talk about. So, who are your favorite antagonists, and what anime are they from?

2 of my all-time favorite antagonists in DBZ are Android 17 and Android 18. Not the ones from Trunks' future, the ones from the past. As a kid I couldn't help but see myself and my big sis as the android twins, so they're a big source of nostalgia and sentimental attachment in my case.

Super 17 from DBGT, sometimes I wish I could just let loose like he did, but I know I never could because I'm way too nice and empathetic, so I know I would never do anything to hurt anyone. Sometimes in anime it's some kind of empathy for even the antagonists (some of them anyway, some just go too far).

Ralph Werec from Str.A.In: Strategic Armored Infantry. He'd been driven insane, and fought for a surprisingly noble intention, but he just lost his way.

So, who are your favorite antagonists and what anime are they from?

Edited by Otaku Gamer

Most of the anime I watch doesn't tend to have "villains" in the normally accepted meaning of the term.
One that does come to mind is Nakago from Fushgi Yugi, the most powerful member and leader of the Seiryu Seven. He's on a personal vendetta to extract revenge on just about everyone for how his tribe was treated and he'll use anyone to achieve his aims, and callously dispose of them when they're of no further use to him. He is, in short, a thoroughly nasty person.

• Like 1

• Wild Emotion changed the title to Favorite Antagonists?
31 minutes ago, Animedragon said:

Most of the anime I watch doesn't tend to have "villains" in the normally accepted meaning of the term.
One that does come to mind is Nakago from Fushgi Yugi, the most powerful member and leader of the Seiryu Seven. He's on a personal vendetta to extract revenge on just about everyone for how his tribe was treated and he'll use anyone to achieve his aims, and callously dispose of them when they're of no further use to him. He is, in short, a thoroughly nasty person.

Thanks for letting me know, I've changed the title of the thread to try for a broader definition. ^^ 

Fushgi Yugi sounds like quite a monster though.

• Like 1

Favourite antagonists now that's a challenge!

See the source imageSee the source image

First two from Code Geases, Schneizel el Britannia and Princess Cornelia li Britannia. Really loved these two with Cornelia being a really good main sort of villain and antagonist in R1 and Schneizel being the best antagonist in R2, with the whole Battle for the Planet and his own really interesting ideas on how to better run the world being really interesting and a good contrast to Lelouch.

Next, we have another duo of villains, Char Aznable aka Casval Rem Deikun aka Quattro Bajeena aka The Red Comet and Haman Karn. Honestly Haman is one of the best villainesses in the OG U.C. timeline and is sought of the archetype for the Ice Queen villainess seen in a lot of Mecha. She is also kind of a badass in her own right and is easily the best girl of the U.C. and then we have Char the quittances Mecha antagonist, the Ying to Amaro yang so to speak. We all know how this one character spawned countless clones in other Gundam shows and in Mecha in general, from the iconic design to his rivalry with amaro that goes beyond the time (see what I did their) truly one of the best antagonists in anime.

See the source image

Dessler is another one of my favourite anime villains and antagonists, I loved the depiction of the character in the remake of Space Battleship Yamato. The fact he was also my first anime villain I watched probably makes me a little bias but still loved the character, the motivation and the reveal near the end is awesome. "I shall bring peace to..." and you'll have to watch the show to find out but seriously underrated antagonsits I think and sought of overlooked show at least with western anime fans I think so do yourselves a favour and watch.

See the source image

Giffen is another one of those classic antagonists though we haven't gotten to see a lot of him thanks to the pretty bad adaptations of berserk's black swordsmen arch (I'm looking at you Berserk 2016) but in the OG Berserk anime from 1997 we got enough for me to say he's one of my all-time favourites 

See the source image

And lastly Gilgamesh from Fate, (Ethier Fate Stay Night or Fate Ultimate Blade Works both are cool) he the type of antagonist you love to hate, up himself completely but so cool doing it. I think Keria some's close to Gilgamesh, but Gilgamesh is kind of in a league of his own IMO.

• Like 3

See the source image

My all-time favourite anime antagonist has to be Johan Liebert from Monster, he's perhaps one of the most intimidating, well written and complex villains in any Manga or Anime. He truly is a one of the kind villains, and he's got no superpowers, no special abilities he's just an unhinged serial killer with some deep trauma. 

See the source image

Shogo Makishima from Psycho Pass is truly one of the best anime villains out there. Whilst he a complete monster, a brutal killer, what builds sympathy and even admiration towards him from me is his philosophy. He's a social critic, capable of pointing out the huge moral and philosophical flaws of the society he was born in. Plus, he's my PFP on here, so I gotta give him his dues. 

See the source image

Toguro Younger, looks like nothing more than a simple brute. However, the intelligence he displays really surprised me. He's very imposing, he's stoic and honourable in his own way. He is cunning and cruel. He really is a great Villian and a perfect antagonist for Urameshi. I've not seen how his story comes to an end, but he been a joy to watch so far.

See the source image

Finally got to peace out on a Fate villain, and no Fate villain comes closer to perfection than Kirei Kotomine. In Fate/Zero he goes through a great character development with the prompting of a certain King of Heroes, and during the following Stay Night his character is explored from several angles. Whilst always villainous, I wouldn't necessarily say I disagree with everything Kirei says or does. Also, I look forward to when we can see his return, as phase 2 of Grand Order might make use of his pesudo-servant from Rasputin. If he does return, I like to see how they further develop the relationship between Kirei and Shiro. 

Spoiler

As their proxy servant's, Rasputin and Muramasa serve the Alien God together, so it be interesting to see Shirou and Kirei on the same side for once.

Edited by MediaConsumesMe
  • Like 1
  • Love it! (Daisuki) 1

1 hour ago, MarathonGuy1337 said:

Favourite antagonists now that's a challenge!

First two from Code Geases, Schneizel el Britannia and Princess Cornelia li Britannia. Really loved these two with Cornelia being a really good main sort of villain and antagonist in R1 and Schneizel being the best antagonist in R2, with the whole Battle for the Planet and his own really interesting ideas on how to better run the world being really interesting and a good contrast to Lelouch.

Next, we have another duo of villains, Char Aznable aka Casval Rem Deikun aka Quattro Bajeena aka The Red Comet and Haman Karn. Honestly Haman is one of the best villainesses in the OG U.C. timeline and is sought of the archetype for the Ice Queen villainess seen in a lot of Mecha. She is also kind of a badass in her own right and is easily the best girl of the U.C. and then we have Char the quittances Mecha antagonist, the Ying to Amaro yang so to speak. We all know how this one character spawned countless clones in other Gundam shows and in Mecha in general, from the iconic design to his rivalry with amaro that goes beyond the time (see what I did their) truly one of the best antagonists in anime.

See the source image

Dessler is another one of my favourite anime villains and antagonists, I loved the depiction of the character in the remake of Space Battleship Yamato. The fact he was also my first anime villain I watched probably makes me a little bias but still loved the character, the motivation and the reveal near the end is awesome. "I shall bring peace to..." and you'll have to watch the show to find out but seriously underrated antagonsits I think and sought of overlooked show at least with western anime fans I think so do yourselves a favour and watch.

See the source image

Giffen is another one of those classic antagonists though we haven't gotten to see a lot of him thanks to the pretty bad adaptations of berserk's black swordsmen arch (I'm looking at you Berserk 2016) but in the OG Berserk anime from 1997 we got enough for me to say he's one of my all-time favourites 

See the source image

And lastly Gilgamesh from Fate, (Ethier Fate Stay Night or Fate Ultimate Blade Works both are cool) he the type of antagonist you love to hate, up himself completely but so cool doing it. I think Keria some's close to Gilgamesh, but Gilgamesh is kind of in a league of his own IMO.

Interesting, that's quite a list.

1 hour ago, MediaConsumesMe said:

See the source image

My all-time favourite anime antagonist has to be Johan Liebert from Monster, he's perhaps one of the most intimidating, well written and complex villains in any Manga or Anime. He truly is a one of the kind villains, and he's got no superpowers, no special abilities he's just an unhinged serial killer with some deep trauma. 

See the source image

Shogo Makishima from Psycho Pass is truly one of the best anime villains out there. Whilst he a complete monster, a brutal killer, what builds sympathy and even admiration towards him from me is his philosophy. He's a social critic, capable of pointing out the huge moral and philosophical flaws of the society he was born in. Plus, he's my PFP on here, so I gotta give him his dues. 

See the source image

Toguro Younger, looks like nothing more than a simple brute. However, the intelligence he displays really surprised me. He's very imposing, he's stoic and honourable in his own way. He is cunning and cruel. He really is a great Villian and a perfect antagonist for Urameshi. I've not seen how his story comes to an end, but he been a joy to watch so far.

See the source image

Finally got to peace out on a Fate villain, and no Fate villain comes closer to perfection than Kirei Kotomine. In Fate/Zero he goes through a great character development with the prompting of a certain King of Heroes, and during the following Stay Night his character is explored from several angles. Whilst always villainous, I wouldn't necessarily say I disagree with everything Kirei says or does. Also, I look forward to when we can see his return, as phase 2 of Grand Order might make use of his pesudo-servant from Rasputin. If he does return, I like to see how they further develop the relationship between Kirei and Shiro. 

Hide contents

As their proxy servant's, Rasputin and Muramasa serve the Alien God together, so it be interesting to see Shirou and Kirei on the same side for once.

Honestly I haven't seen a lot of these anime, but the imposing antagonists make things sound dicey.

Zagato from Magic Knight Rayearth is an interesting antagonist. From the very first episode he is presented as the chief bad guy who has kidnapped Princess Emeraude and is holding her against her will and his intension is to kill the three girls Emeraude has summoned before they can become Magic Knights.
But it's also possible to flip things around and see him as the good guy because his aim is to protect Emeraude because he knows the task that the Magic Knights are summoned to perform.

2 hours ago, Animedragon said:

Zagato from Magic Knight Rayearth is an interesting antagonist. From the very first episode he is presented as the chief bad guy who has kidnapped Princess Emeraude and is holding her against her will and his intension is to kill the three girls Emeraude has summoned before they can become Magic Knights.
But it's also possible to flip things around and see him as the good guy because his aim is to protect Emeraude because he knows the task that the Magic Knights are summoned to perform.

That is an interesting duality.

Askeladd from Vinland Sagaspacer.png

The  opportunistic leader of a band of mercenaries and a murderer many times over. Manipulation & betrayal are all acceptable to achieve his goals. While a skilled warrior he’s more than willing to resort to underhanded tactics if it looks like he might lose. Having said all that, he does have a tragic backstory and knows full well that his men will turn on him if they sense weakness or knew his true lineage. And while I can’t give details due to spoilers, the finale of the 1st season showed that he  was willing to sacrifice for a cause greater than himself.

Lt. Tsurumi from Golden Kamuy

spacer.png

He possesses a knack for spotting talented individuals and then coming up with elaborate schemes to gain their trust or make them indebted to him. Through psychological & emotional manipulation, many remain loyal to him personally even after becoming aware of his ulterior motives. That failing, he is willing to resort to threats or intimidation (a battlefiled injury that left him disfigured & prone to fits of psychosis and violence make it that much more effective). Nonetheless he retains his cunning & charisma & it seems likely that at least some of his “crazy” behavior is deliberate.

Sukuna from Jujutsu Kaisen

spacer.png

Sadistic, evil & chaotic. He considers everyone  else beneath his notice. Even when fellow curses urge him to take on the role of being their leader /messiah his response is he has no need for lackeys and no interest in representing their cause. He acts according to his own self interest & whims. He does whatever the f*** he wants.

Edited by Ohayotaku
  • Awesome (Sugoi) 1
  • Love it! (Daisuki) 1