Do you believe in extra-terrestrial life?

Emotion Flux

I've been wondering, how many of you believe in the existence of extra-terrestrial life? And if you do, do you believe there's advanced extra-terrestrial life?

I believe it. There's too many stories about aliens to not believe it, or at least that's my opinion. How about you? Do you believe aliens exist?

Well, for me it sort of depends. If you're talking about the E.T, Men In Black sort of stuff then I'm gonna say no. However, I do find it believable that there are other life forms such as bacteria, fungi etc.

Edited by KaiyaSaysHaiya

7 hours ago, Otaku Gamer said:

I've been wondering, how many of you believe in the existence of extra-terrestrial life? And if you do, do you believe there's advanced extra-terrestrial life?

I believe it. There's too many stories about aliens to not believe it, or at least that's my opinion. How about you? Do you believe aliens exist?

There's at least 100 billion stars in just our own milky way galaxy.  There are, literally, billions of galaxies out there.  Space telescopes like Kepler and TESS that search for exoplanets have discovered that there on average several planets per star.  Even our closest neighbor star has a planet in the habitable zone.  It almost doesn't matter how rare life is, multiplied by the number of planets out there chances are extremely slim that extraterrestrial life does NOT exist out there somewhere.  So yes, I do believe that aliens exist.  Somewhere.

Now for the bad news.

Light-speed is the fastest that anything can travel in this universe.  Anything not made of photons travels significantly slower.  Anatomically modern humans have been around maybe a few million years.  Of all those billions of billions of billions of planets out there, the number of planets that are within few million light-years of earth is less than 1 billionth of one percent of the total number of planets out there.  There is very little chance that any alien life could have developed anywhere within that bubble.  Even if they had, the chances that they had gained the intelligence to develop and use the technology to have been able to even communicate with Earth sometime during human existence is even lower, and the chance that they lived close enough to physically visit us in the last few thousand years of recorded human history is essentially zero.  Given the current understanding the science of physics and the math of statistics I therefore also believe beyond a shadow of a doubt that extraterrestrial life from outside the solar system has never visited Earth.

Plot twist.

There are theories and even more than a bit of evidence that life here on earth could have originated extra-terrestrially.  Amino acids have been discovered in the dust between the stars here in our milky way galaxy.  They're also definitely known to exist in certain types of asteroids and in comets, and there's some convincing evidence that some of those have reached Earth in the past.  A number of years ago there was that Martian meteor that had microscopic mineral deposits that could have been fossilized Martian microbes.  Many terrestrial organisms, such as tardigrades, are known to be able to survive the vacuum and high radiation environment of space for periods of several years.  Given favorable geometries that's long enough for such an organism to be carried to another planet.  It could be that the life we know of that currently exists on Earth may in fact itself be the alien life from outer space.

Edited by efaardvark
  • Informative 1

1 hour ago, efaardvark said:

There's at least 100 billion stars in just our own milky way galaxy.  There are, literally, billions of galaxies out there.  Space telescopes like Kepler and TESS that search for exoplanets have discovered that there on average several planets per star.  Even our closest neighbor star has a planet in the habitable zone.  It almost doesn't matter how rare life is, multiplied by the number of planets out there chances are extremely slim that extraterrestrial life does NOT exist out there somewhere.  So yes, I do believe that aliens exist.  Somewhere.

Now for the bad news.

Light-speed is the fastest that anything can travel in this universe.  Anything not made of photons travels significantly slower.  Anatomically modern humans have been around maybe a few million years.  Of all those billions of billions of billions of planets out there, the number of planets that are within few million light-years of earth is less than 1 billionth of one percent of the total number of planets out there.  There is very little chance that any alien life could have developed anywhere within that bubble.  Even if they had, the chances that they had gained the intelligence to develop and use the technology to have been able to even communicate with Earth sometime during human existence is even lower, and the chance that they lived close enough to physically visit us in the last few thousand years of recorded human history is essentially zero.  Given the current understanding the science of physics and the math of statistics I therefore also believe beyond a shadow of a doubt that extraterrestrial life from outside the solar system has never visited Earth.

Plot twist.

There are theories and even more than a bit of evidence that life here on earth could have originated extra-terrestrially.  Amino acids have been discovered in the dust between the stars here in our milky way galaxy.  They're also definitely known to exist in certain types of asteroids and in comets, and there's some convincing evidence that some of those have reached Earth in the past.  A number of years ago there was that Martian meteor that had microscopic mineral deposits that could have been fossilized Martian microbes.  Many terrestrial organisms, such as tardigrades, are known to be able to survive the vacuum and high radiation environment of space for periods of several years.  Given favorable geometries that's long enough for such an organism to be carried to another planet.  It could be that the life we know of that currently exists on Earth may in fact itself be the alien life from outer space.

Thanks for a very interesting post, the content of the linked articles was also very interesting and informative.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, efaardvark said:

Now for the bad news.

Plot twist.

Operating under the assumption that alien technology is the same as ours, light speed travel would be impossible. If their technology was more advanced, and they used an even more sophisticated mathematical system than ours, I could see how they'd be able to actually travel at light speed. I agree the links are interesting though. A very informative post that I'm glad was put up here. The different ranges in opinions are what makes the debate so great, in my opinion. As long as there's no toxicity anyways, then it just gets out of hand.