What "counts"?

Clayton

So what "counts" as anime in your opinion?

Webcomics?

http://www.sandraandwoo.com/comics/2018-09-17-1022-replacement-challenge.png

dt20001005.jpg

892e07547bd599414972cfbe7737cf1f--gothic

Can it have furries?

Can it be made anywhere but other than japan?

Is there a specific style?

Live action?

Video games?

Edited by Clayton

What counts?

That a good question

See the source image

MECHA!!!

JK no it's a bit more complicated than that...

For me it's kind of literal anime is another word for J-animation or Japanimation. So, animation, but something distinct from Western Animation or American Animation, you defiantly get works outside the medium of animation, such as JRPGs

See the source image

(I mean the creator of Dragon Ball Akira Toriyama was involved in Chrono Trigger so yeah connected)

which are heavily inspired by animation but that's likely because the game designers of JRPGs and other Japanese's video games made specifically for the Japanese audience were inspired or consumers of Japanese animation.

See the source image

Thier can also be works outside of Japan that are defiantly inspired by anime, which is good and totally awesome, but I'm not going to go as far as call them anime.

What counts as 'anime'? Well that's an interesting question.

I've always understood that the word "anime" is used in Japan to describe any animated film and is used outside Japan to describe any animated film originating from Japan.

Out of curiosity I looked up the word in an on-line dictionary and got these results:

"A genre of film and television animation created in or influenced by the traditional style of Japanese 2D animation and characterized by highly stylized, colourful art, fantastic settings, and mature themes."

"A type of Japanese animated film with themes and styles similar to manga comics."

"First recorded in 1985–90; from Japanese, borrowing of English animation."

• Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...

So how do you tell "anime" from any other cartoon? Heck, Gargoyles was made in Japan and the main girl has blue hair. Stitch has his own anime series. Americans make versions of anime shows (did you see the Alita movie?) . 

On 11/27/2022 at 1:34 AM, Animedragon said:

What counts as 'anime'? Well that's an interesting question.

I've always understood that the word "anime" is used in Japan to describe any animated film and is used outside Japan to describe any animated film originating from Japan.

Out of curiosity I looked up the word in an on-line dictionary and got these results:

"A genre of film and television animation created in or influenced by the traditional style of Japanese 2D animation and characterized by highly stylized, colourful art, fantastic settings, and mature themes."

"A type of Japanese animated film with themes and styles similar to manga comics."

"First recorded in 1985–90; from Japanese, borrowing of English animation."

Edited by Clayton

9 hours ago, Clayton said:

So how do you tell "anime" from any other cartoon? Heck, Gargoyles was made in Japan and the main girl has blue hair. Stitch has his own anime series. Americans make versions of anime shows (did you see the Alita movie?) . 

I think that the more you think about it the more difficult it is to explain to someone the difference between anime and any other type of cartoon to someone who does not watch many animated films. As anime fans we somehow instinctively know the difference, but it's so hard to explain.

As a railway enthusiast I often have a similar difficulty in explaining the differences between the various classes of locomotives to someone who knows little about railways. 

I didn't see the Alita movie but I saw some stills from it and read the adverts which proclaimed it as a new film, and I thought "that's not new, it's a remake of an old anime title."

On 12/13/2022 at 1:28 AM, Animedragon said:

I think that the more you think about it the more difficult it is to explain to someone the difference between anime and any other type of cartoon to someone who does not watch many animated films. As anime fans we somehow instinctively know the difference, but it's so hard to explain.

As a railway enthusiast I often have a similar difficulty in explaining the differences between the various classes of locomotives to someone who knows little about railways. 

I didn't see the Alita movie but I saw some stills from it and read the adverts which proclaimed it as a new film, and I thought "that's not new, it's a remake of an old anime title."

Two words: Kindgom Hearts