I want your anime movie recommendations

mohsen

Question

24 answers to this question

I’m not as big a fan of Ghibli movies as most otaku but my faves would be Princess Mononoke, Laputa: Castle in the Sky & My Neighbor Totoro. 

Likewise, not really a fan of the real-world “tearjerker” style that tends to be more popular. My preferences being more fantasy or scifi. Examples: Children Who Chase Lost Voices • Patema Inverted • Summer Wars • The Boy & The Beast  • Mary & The Witch’s Flower •  Expelled From Paradise • Perfect Blue • White Snake • Black Fox

Franchise related: My Hero Academia: Heroes Rising • Little Witch Academia (original) & The Enchanted Parade • Ranma 1/2: Nihao My Concubine • Dirty Pair: Project Eden • Lupin III: Castle of Cagliostro • Trigun: Badlands Rumble • Project A-ko (the original one only) 

Edited by Ohayotaku
  • Like 2

Ranma 1/2: Big Trouble in Nekonron, China. Original Ghost in the Shell, Ninja Scroll, Perfect Blue, Akira, Demon City Shinjuku, Slayers: The Motion Picture, Lupin the 3rd: Farewell to Nostradamus, Tenchi Muyo in Love, New Kimagure Orange Road: Summer's Beginning, You're Under Arrest! The Movie... I could keep going...lol XD

• Like 2

I'll be honest, I haven't actually seen too many anime movies but I'll still mention a few

• Your Name

• Weathering With You

• Words Bubble Up Like Soda Pop

• any Studio Ghibli movie

• A Whisker Away

• Drifting Home

• Bubble

• Violet Evergarden: The Movie

• Violet Evergarden: Eternity And The Auto Memory Doll

• Sword Art Online The Movie: Ordinal Scale

I believe those are all of the anime movies I've watched, haha

Edited by KaiyaSaysHaiya
  • Like 3

Here's a few more to add to the list:

The Place Promised in our Early Days.

Arrietty.

Jose, The Tiger and The Fish.

I Want to Eat Your Pancreas.

Laputa, Castle in the Sky.

Voices of a Distant Star.

All of which are excellent movies.

• Like 1

On 12/31/2022 at 10:19 AM, mohsen said:

come on guys let's keep it going!
for example I love slice of life anime

any more recommendations

let's at least make 2 pages from this thread!!!

Okay... I'll give it my best shot. 

So I've not watched many standalone movies... in fact I might have watched a grand total of 0. Maybe a Ghibli movie... that might be it. 

So a lot of my recommendations are linked into franchises and I won't go into watch order here on some of these cause it'd likely distract from the list. 

Steins;Gate Fuka Ryouiki no Deja vu- film review | Anime Amino

So starting off the list is Steins Gate; Load Region of Deja Vu. I don't remember much, I know I watched it and it was a decent romp but its got nothing on the series it follows.

What's your theme song? | Genius

My brother a huge Gundam fan, so naturally I've seen the conclusion to the Mobile Suit Gundam Universal Century. I've seen another Gundam film but this one is pretty decent. Ending a little weird, and one character introduced in the film is the epitome of smug and annoying. 

111343.gif

So next is Psycho Pass the Movie. It pretty good, like Steins Gate it more extra content post the masterpiece that is the first series. 

R.25b325183a022df61deb03ad5c873cc5?rik=CoGvDp8PVBmXbQ&riu=http%3a%2f%2fpa1.narvii.com%2f6217%2ff9b6ed7e920a8974bd4ce26ea08f221d140da77c_hq.gif&ehk=ei6exJk8igGJ312e6MYDGQu5hhME1hx4F59G5P9BO0Q%3d&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0

Hunter x Hunter Phantom Rouge... I'll be honest I watched this and the... other one (cause their are two) mostly cause I wanted more HxH. Not the best film, but if you watched or not watch the series not a bad use of a evening. 

Made In Abyss Bondrewd / Made In Abyss Dawn Of The Deep Soul Figma ...

Okay Made in Abyss: Dawn of the Deep Soul. Not for the faint of heart, but we all watch it to pay respect and bear witness to the best dad in anime. 

End of Evangelion Gif - ID: 112490 - Gif Abyss

Okay so back to more Mecha, for what would anime be without Mecha. This time End of Evangelion the original endings to the series before the Redo Remake quintology. This movie looks great, and gets very introspective in the final act. 

*Brillant Fight Sequences in Anime | Anime Amino

Next why not give Madoka Magica Rebellion a try. Personally I love it but its pretty divisive with the fandom. Luckily you either got two recap films or like 12 episodes to watch it if you want all the context of why these Magical Girls are so, so sad.  

#fate stay night heaven's feel from Emiya

Anyone who seen my previous post knew where this was going, and as no one has yet to mention these films yet, I guess I'll have to be the hero of justice and do it myself. Now would I recommend getting into Fate through Heaven Feel. No. But still the Heaven Feel trilogy is top tier animation, a great story, awesome characters and a kick ass score. So what more can we really ask for. 

That most the ones I've seen, I watched one other Gundam movie and a few of the other Fate movies, but that be my list for some anime films to watch. Mine might be more popcorn fair, but I've not watched many if any of the Ghibli stuff, nor have I really dived back deep into the Anime Movie golden age much yet. 

Edited by MediaConsumesMe
  • Like 1
  • Cool (Kakkoii) 1

5 hours ago, MediaConsumesMe said:

My brother a huge Gundam fan, so naturally I've seen the conclusion to the Mobile Suit Gundam Universal Century. I've seen another Gundam film but this one is pretty decent. Ending a little weird, and one character introduced in the film is the epitome of smug and annoying. 

Thanks for the shout out.

Naturally I'll have to start my list with the titular Mobile Suit Gundam Series 

Mobile Suit Gundam Char's Counterattack 

MSG:CHAR'S COUNTERATTACK | Anime Aminogundam chars counterattack | Tumblr

Mobile Suit Gundam Chars Counterattack serves as the final resolution of the conflict between Char and Amaro, the lead protagonist and antagonists from the original 79 classic anime, its one of my all time favorite both Gundam film, Anime Film and Film in general though I'm probably bias as I'm a big fan of the franchise, however if your not a fan ands haven't watched the original and some of the other shows like Zeta and ZZ Gundam I wouldn't' recommended 

Mobile Suit Gundam F91

Mobile Suit Gundam F91 Gif - kpfitmamaMobile Suit Gundam F91 Gif - kpfitmama

Another great Gundam Film would be Mobile Suit Gundam F91, a beautifully animated film of the early 90s, though unfortunately thanks to Sunrise medalling originally promising lead writer of Gundam Fam Yoshiyuki Tomino, a series, before walking back to a film, the story is very crammed in. I still enjoyed the film and the manga continuation is turning out to be a great read.

Gundam F91 is one of the single biggest animated travesties that I've ...

(Still thou best headshot in U.C. arguably)

I have yet to watched the original remake films yet, so can't comment on them

Char Aznable Casval GIF - Char Aznable Casval Gundam - Descubre ...

(I weep)

Legend of the Galactic Heroes My Conquest is the Sea of Stars 

Legend of the Galactic Heroes - Anime Forum - Neoseeker Forums

If I was going to sit thought the 110 episodes of this legendary bemouth I was gonna watch the film as well, the film is thematically dense with a lot of philosophy and political speculation of the back of it. I really enjoyed this one and its a great way to warm up to the  show.

Crusher Joe 

Crusher Joe - Novels recebem Nova Adaptação Manga - ptAnimeThe Great OAV Watch Episode 57: Crusher Joe : anime

A underrated classic, Crusher Joe is a forgotten relic of Japanese's sci-fi and the source of inspiration for future works like Cowboy Bebop and Outlaw Star, More people should check out this anime gem which drips of 80s nostalgia 

Venus Wars

Venus Wars | TumblrThe awesome art and animation of Venus Wars (1989) - Album on Imgur ...

this is a personal favourite of mine, stunning visually and thematically deep. YAS (character designer on the Gundam series) wrote the manga and directed the film, it bombed on release but still the visuals are so priceless and the film has grown a cult following. 

Akira 

taraantino | Akira anime, Akira anime movie, AkiraAkira | Anime Amino

Its probably an anime film that everyone and their grandmother has watched but that's with good reason, stunning animation thought and thought and a very good adaptation of the manga 

Ghost in the Shell

Ghost in the Shell animated GIF 攻殻機動隊 | pin.anime.comMajor Motoko Kusanagi of Mamoru Oshii's "Ghost in the Shell" | Ghost in ...

One of the first anime films I watched I highly recommend thought I think other Mamoru Oshii works are his best.

Patlabor the Movie & Patlabor 2 

patlabor gifs | WiffleGifPatlabor: The Movie 2 | Tumblr

speaking of which, being a MECHA fan I had to check out the Patlabor Movies, which were surprisingly deep especially the second film with the JDF deployment in Tokyo, the films scream atmosphere from the wide shots to the intense if brief mecha battles.   

Jin-Roh The Wolf Brigade

Jin Roh The Wolf Brigade GIFs - Find & Share on GIPHYAnime with the characteristics of Warhammer 40k? - Forums - MyAnimeList.net

Based on the Kerberos Panzer Cop, the manga written by Oshii and part of the Kerberos Saga, Wolf Brigade is a deep film and dispute its links to the manga and the Kerberos Saga you can pretty much watch and enjoy without any knowledge of the other works, naturally with Oshii the visuals are mind blowing. 

That's all for now though thier are a lot of other films on my list to watch including Captain Harlock Arcadia of my Youth, the Galaxy Express 999 Films, Mobile Suit Gundam Trilogy, Space Battleship Yamato and many others.

Edited by MarathonGuy1337
  • Like 1
  • Cool (Kakkoii) 1

The Mobile Suit Gundam Trilogy 

Mobile Suit Gundam Gif - Gif Abyss6 Anime Series That People Thought Would Be Failures

Well since I just finished them I'll say definitely check out the MSG Trilogy Films, their a very good condensing of the OG TV show and I think their are some general improvements especially n Mobile Suit Gundam III Encounters In Space with more focus on Lalah and Sleggar (the most under apricated character in the U.C.) and the inner turmoil of the Zabi Family. Also the songs are kinda boss not to mention some of the visuals. 

The Five Star Stories 

the five star stories | Tumblr80s anime

Also since I'm back here I might as well give a shout out to the Five Star Stories only watched this one last year after fined a AMV of all things of it online, its a under apricated anime gem from the 80s and the Golden Motar Head is to die for. I'm kind of wanting to read the manga this is based on.

Okay the threads a little dead, I know what to do. Recommend all the Fate movie's I've not covered yet. 

MadaraBrek (ⓣⓐⓣⓢⓤⓜⓘⓚⓘ 辰巳) | DeviantArt

That'll keep it going. 

Geek Cave!, (Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works Movie)

Fate Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works the Movie was the first adaption of the Unlimited Blade Works route of Fate Stay Night. It was done by Studio Deen the guys behind the 2006 series adapting the first route. Honestly it not a bad film, given how much story it tries to condense. For me as a Type Moon guy I was more intrigued to see this film, and to give Deen credit they nail some stuff. So a fun watch, but the series did it better. 

Szokatlan történet a Fate-szériában: origin vagy mellékszál? - Smaragd ...

Fate Grand Order - First Order, is the first in the Grand Order timeline. It covers the events of Singularity F and serves as the introduction to Fate Grand Order's continuity. 

Bedivere vs Lion King | Part 4 | Fate/Grand Order Camelot 2 Paladin ...

Naturally following on from the singularity F we skip over the first, second, third, fourth, fifth singularities to move directly onto the sixth singularity. Fate Grand Order - Divine Realm of the Round Table Camelot Wandering; Agateram and its sequel Camelot Paladin; Agateram. Pretty solid films, and if you thing you liked First Order you'll likely like this duology. 

Top 10 Male Badasses in Anime | Anime Amino

Next we have Fate Grand Order The Grand Temple of Time: Solomon which neatly follows on from Babylonia the series which covers the Seventh Singularity.

High School DxD x Author self insert - Soren&Yui vs Rias Peerages ...

Moving away from the Fate Grand Order timeline we start the next series, Fate/ Kaleid liner Prisma Illya with the series prequel movie Oath Under Snow which sees Shirou Emyia become a true badass. 

Reddit - Dive into anything

Okay so the next film is Fate/Kaleid Liner Prisma Illya: Licht Nameless Girl - I'll be upfront not seen it yet as I've not really been able to get into the Kaleid timeline. Partly cause it not dubbed, it got picked up by Sentai and they dropped this stuff hard after season 2. So season 3, Oath Under Snow, this movie and the Prisma Phantasm all have gone un-dubbed. Still if I get bored and starved for content I'll likely give it a shot. 

Fate/Apocrypha Gifs 55 | Anime Amino

That's all the Fate I've got sadly... beyond a few compilation movies, maybe @MarathonGuy1337 can give us all a list of the Gundam movie's he's not recommended yet. 

Gundam Movies?

Well these are the ones I've personally watched beyond the ones I've mentioned before in this thread 

Mobile Suit Gundam Hathaway Flash (This will be a trilogy but only the first part is released)

hathaways flash | Tumblr

Thunderbolt Films; Mobile Suit Gundam Thunderbolt: December Sky, Mobile Suit Gundam Thunderbolt: Bandit Flower 

The butt vibrations intensify. | Mobile Suit Gundam | Know Your Meme

And these are the films I haven't watched yet...

Mobile Suit Gundam 08th MS Team: Miller's Report

Rate this anime day 175: MOBILE SUIT GUNDAM: THE 08TH MS TEAM | Sports ...

Mobile Suit Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz

Mobile Suit Gundam Wing Gif - Gunpla Gundam

Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: The Afterglow of Zeon

Gundam 0083 Stardust Memory | Wiki | Anime Amino

Seed Films; Mobile Suit Gundam Seed: Special Edition The Empty Battlefield, Mobile Suit Gundam Seed: Special Edition The Far-Away Dawn, Mobile Suit Gundam Seed: Special Edition The Rumbling Sky.

mecha-gifs | Gundam seed, Gundam, Gundam art

Turn A Gundam Films; Turn A Gundam Earth Light Turn A Gundam Moon Butterfly

Turn a gundam | Tumblr

Then we come to the Zeta Gundam Compilation Movies; Mobile Suit Gundam Zeta Heir to the Stars Mobile Suit Gundam Zeta Lovers Mobile Suit Gundam Zeta Love is the Pulse of the Stars.

zeta gundam z gundam gundam gif baund doc kamille bidan Jerid Messa

Seed Destiny Films; Mobile Suit Gundam Seed Destiny: Special Edition The Broken World Mobile Suit Gundam Seed Destiny, Special Edition Respective Swords Mobile Suit Gundam Seed Destiny, Special EditionThe Hellfire Of Destiny and Mobile Suit Gundam Seed Destiny: Special Edition The Cost of Freedom.

Gundam Seed GIFs - Find & Share on GIPHY

G-Savior

G-Saviour (live-action TV movie) - Anime News Network

Gudam 00 Films, Gundam 00 Special Edition Celestial Being, Gundam 00 Special Edition End of the World, Gundam 00 Special Edition Return of the World.

“GUNDAM 00” Series + Film ANIME REVIEW: Still Popular? But Why ...

Mobile Suit Gundam 00: Awakening of the Trailblazer

MOBILE SUIT GUNDAM 00: A WAKENING OF THE TRAILBLAZER Bluray | Punto Reflex

Gundam AGE: Memory of Eden

The possibilities are surely higher than zero: “I’m proud that I was ...

Theirs like over six timelines here don't judge me

[Spoilers][UC Rewatch] Mobile Suit Gundam III: Encounters in Space ...

• Like 1

I think I've seen pretty much 9 out 10 movies you guys just mentioned.

are anime movies that rare?

and mostly these days if you have seen the anime franchise, you shouldn't watch the films till then.

Ironically I admit that what drove me to make this thread was watching non non biyori vacation after watching both seasons and it was a blast

so I thought watch more anime movies like kimi no nawa, etc.

but still I've pretty much seen all these

I also really enjoyed Weathering With You (2019), which is about a boy who runs off to Tokyo, where he finds work. While there he encounters a girl, who can influence the weather. Excellent plot, emotionally-driven, and impressive and well-drawn animation. 5/5 stars.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Digimon_Sommelier said:

I also really enjoyed Weathering With You (2019), which is about a boy who runs off to Tokyo, where he finds work. While there he encounters a girl, who can influence the weather. Excellent plot, emotionally-driven, and impressive and well-drawn animation. 5/5 stars.

I enjoyed Weathering With You as well and I've watched it several times. But I still feel that the whole sub-plot with the police was really a bit of filler and that the film would have been better and the storyline stronger without it.

5 hours ago, Digimon_Sommelier said:

Suzume was riveting!

I've heard a lot of good things about this movie. I understand that a UK Blu-ray release is confirmed, but no release date has been announced.

5 hours ago, animechat said:

I watched long time ago The Girl Who Leapt Through Time was really good anime and worth watching.

It is indeed a really good anime. I like humour as  Makoto's attempts to change things go wrong and how the story changes when she realises the serious nature of her actions.

• Like 1