A few anime reviews.

ItsOnRandom

Hi everyone, I was looking through the forums last night and from what I can see there aren't  really any proper reviews thread on this site. (If I'm mistaken than mods feel free to delete this thread).

Anyway the idea of this topic is to leave as many reviews as you wish about the last anime you watched and what you thought about it personally. 

Attack On Titan Season 1 (2013)

- I gave the first four episodes a watch a while ago and enjoyed it quite a bit, but I wasn't entirely sure on why it was surrounded by so much hype. However recently I decided to go back and check out the rest of the season and HOLY SHIT IT WAS GREAT! I finally understood where everyone else was coming from. Each episode has an awesome cliffhanger that makes it nearly impossible to not watch the next episode straight away. I thought a lot of the characters were pretty cool and memorable and while I'm not usually a massive fan of pure-action anime this is an exception. Only slight issue I have with this season is that It did feel a bit reptitive after a while and that it dragged on slightly.

Favourite Episode:

Episode 25

Worst Episode:

Episode 16

Overall Rating: 9/10

Edited by ItsOnRandom

K-On! (2009)

Where does one start with reviewing K-On?  It's a slice of life series about a group of girls who are members of their High School's Light Music Club.  The club's activities largely consist of drinking tea, eating cake and occasionally practising. Seems like quite a dull boring series doesn't it?
Well, you're wrong! Despite its simple premise this is a highly enjoyable series with a well developed and interesting cast of characters. The series has two seasons and a movie and through them we follow the members of the Light Music Club from their first year at High School through to their last year, and we share in the highs and lows of their three year school life during which time they drink a lot of tea, eat a lot of cake and give concerts at the various school festivals.
The movie does not attempt to condense the whole 40 episode series into 90 minutes like some do, instead it forms an excellent ending to the story.

The artwork, animation, music, storyline and overall quality of this series is very high. This is a series you'll want to watch again, and again.

10/10

• Like 1

Wings of Honneamise : Royal Space Force.

Released in 1987 this film is generally regarded as an anime classic. It tells the story of Shitotsugh Lhadatt who is a member of the "Royal Space Force", a branch of the military that is regarded as a joke by everyone, and his aim of being the first man in space. The RSF's team of ageing scientists is up against a corrupt government and a military that intend to use the RSF's space programme to start a war.

This is a good film and worth adding to anyone's collection, but sadly I think that in common with some other anime from the 1980's it has not really stood the test of time.

5/10

Demon Slayer (Season 1)

- This took a while for it click with me, but when it did, it was awesome. While I find some of the humour that's incorporated in the show through some episodes ruin the tone of the anime, the other episodes are just too good to give this any lower than a 7/10. I'm not the biggest fan of the art style in some scenes, but hey that's just my personal opinion.

Best Episode:

Episode 19

Worst Episode:

Episode 11

Overall Rating: 8/10

Edited by ItsOnRandom

Well I've not watched a great deal of anime recently, most recently two movies and one 12 episodes series. 

Mobile Suit Gundam I 

Mobile suit gundam 0079 kai gif - caqwedoc

So I watched this movie with my brother who loves the Gundam UC. I quite enjoy UC, with Origin, 8th MS Team, War in the Pocket and Stardust Memory all being pretty quality shows. And as were building up to Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam and its been a while since I watched the first series, it been decided we'll catch back up on the one year war with the trilogy. Now the audio was hit and miss, music was great and the sound effects pretty solid - the voice acting, (I watched it dubbed so... yeah) well that was something else. The series defiantly did it a lot more justice, still most scenes were alright and a few were comical in their own way with some classic lines including 'I'm just plain scared', 'the Zeon are invading with an army of robotron invaders', 'I will poof myself' and 'go Amuro, go and defeat the enemy'. 

The character design is solid, but a few scenes and stills look a little rough - however the art direction for everything is pretty good. The animation is decent for 81, and it mostly cobbled together from scenes from the series. Still for a compilation film it could have been a lot worse, and to be honest unlike the series I didn't feel the story hit as many pacing issues and it moved more steadily to the important moments. Would have liked a little more of the space stuff and a little less Earth.

Overall 7/10 a good film. 

Fate/Grand Order: Divine Realm of the Round Table - Camelot Paladin; Agateram 

fates hype!! | Tumblr

So I finally got around to seeing this film, and I must say it was worth the weight. I'm a pretty big Fate fan, so getting so see the conclusion to the Camelot singularity was pretty awesome. Bedivere story was nicely resolved with the conclusion of the film. Props to the Gawain vs Bedivere fight that was seriously the highlight of the film. The music was great, and the animation was pretty on point most of the time.

So 8/10 great movie

Legend of the Galactic Heroes: The New Thesis - Collision

Legend Of The Galactic Heroes Gifs 5 | Anime Amino

I've been watching this show for a long time, before I was an anime fan I was watching this show, so I've got a huge soft spot for the series. I guess dress a space opera setting up with some fancy politics and I'm down for that. So I've just watched the third season, Collision and am now patiently waiting for the next one to get localised. Overall the visuals were awesome, Rosenritter armor was badass. As for the story really liked the focus on Kempf, and the other Admirals under Reinhard with Wolfgang and Reuenthal getting a lot more development. 

So 9/10, really awesome season. 

• Like 1

A Place Further Than The Universe. (2018)

This series charts the adventures of four high school girls who join a scientific expedition to Antarctica. The early episodes explore the reasons why each of the girls wants to join the expedition and all the efforts they need to go through to convince the expedition organisers to give them a place. Once they've got their places they have to go through various training exercises to prepare them to survive in what is a very inhospitable environment.

Unlike other series with similar storylines the four girls are essentially passengers, they have no special responsibilities and no assigned tasks other than producing a video report of their trip. They are however expected to help with unloading supplies and take their turn with domestic chores etc.

The series gives a realistic depiction of the dangers and hardships faced by people working on an Antarctic expedition, but also shows the enthusiasm of the expedition's members for what they are doing and their determination to carry out their mission.

On the outward sea voyage all four girls are violently ill when the ship encounters a major storm at sea and when they arrive at the base they experience the extreme cold of the Antarctic continent.

Later on while on a trip away from the main base they learn of the dangers of an Antarctic blizzard where a single simple mistake or lapse of concentration could cost them their lives, but they are also overwhelmed by the beauty of the Antarctic landscape.

This is a very good and highly enjoyable series with an excellent storyline, an interesting cast of characters and very good animation and artwork.

9/10

• Like 1

Orange (2016)

What would you think if one day you received a letter from yourself that was written ten years in the future? You'd probably dismiss it as some kind of joke, which is what Naho Takamiya did when she received such a letter. The letter asked her to keep a close watch on a new student and be careful about decisions she makes concerning him. But the letter is written like pages from her diary and as the days pass she comes to realise that it is describing the events that will happen each day very accurately, too accurately in fact. The letter goes on to explain that of her five friends Kakeru Naruse, the new student, is not around ten years in the future because he died in an accident and the letter is a plea from her future self to prevent the accident.

As the story progresses we learn through a series of flashbacks, or rather flashforwards, of the truth behind Kakuru's death and the effect it has on the surviving members of the group of friends and his family. The story follows the efforts Naho and her friends go through in their attempt to save Kakuru's life.

If you leave aside the fact that the series never really explains exactly how the letters were delivered to a precise point ten years in the past to the correct person it's an intriguing and interesting storyline. The series has a good cast of characters and the animation and artwork is very good.
However, while it was an enjoyable series to watch I felt that the ending was rather disappointing and unsatisfactory with a thread that had been running throughout the story left hanging and unfinished.

7/10

Fuuka (2017)

This is a rather good little Slice of Life series, the main story of which revolves around Fuuka Akitsuki, a very active and enthusiastic outgoing girl, Yuu Haruna who is a shy introverted guy who spends most of his time using his mobile phone to post stuff on Twitter. Then there's Koyuki Hinahi who is a popular singer and also a childhood friend of Yuu, she is also Fuuka's favourite pop star.
Yuu and Koyuki lost touch with each other years ago but when circumstances bring them together again life gets complicated as none of three can really work out their relationships with each other.

The story is quite slow to start in the first few episodes but livens up considerably once Fuuka decides that she, Yuu and a couple of their other friends should form a band, and Fuuka being a very enthusiastic and determined young lady will accept no refusals or objections to her plan from her new band mates.

Eventually the tangled relationships between Fuuka, Koyuki and Yuu come to a head and Yuu finds himself fighting for the very existence of the band. This is a interesting and enjoyable series and as the story progresses the various characters discover that what they want out of life is worth fighting for.

8/10

• 4 months later...

Just finished rewatching Death Note.

What an awesome anime! I see people's problem with the latter half, but to me it's still better than 90% of TV nowadays. The charecters are great. it's so fun and really cleverly written. Thank you Death Note for being my introduction into anime. 

10/10

Edited by ItsOnRandom