Seasons

sick_of_isekai_trash

Is anyone else really sick of very generic Isekai or haremesque getting second and third seasons while much better written shows and other genres just get abandoned after 11 or 12 episodes. Like why does is it wrong to try and pick up girls in a dungeon have three seasons of 20 episodes and Darwin's game got finished after 11 despite not nearly being out of source material. I really do feel like the majority of anime nowadays just caters to pervs. And it's a shame cuz I remember when we used to get anime that wasn't built mainly around fan service but actual well-written shows consistently almost across the entire board. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, sick_of_isekai_trash said:

Is anyone else really sick of very generic Isekai or haremesque getting second and third seasons while much better written shows and other genres just get abandoned after 11 or 12 episodes.

Yes, I am. I think this is something to do with how some anime producers see their target demographic and it's probably easier to produce a generic Isekai or haremesque show than to produce something original with a good thoughtful and well thought out storyline.

It's a shame yeah, alot of people think anime is just "boobs lol" and its kinda sad. Unfortunately its easy to produce generic mass produced Isekai that is basically all the same.

On 1/30/2023 at 10:35 AM, sick_of_isekai_trash said:

Is anyone else really sick of very generic Isekai or haremesque getting second and third seasons while much better written shows and other genres just get abandoned after 11 or 12 episodes. Like why does is it wrong to try and pick up girls in a dungeon have three seasons of 20 episodes and Darwin's game got finished after 11 despite not nearly being out of source material. I really do feel like the majority of anime nowadays just caters to pervs. And it's a shame cuz I remember when we used to get anime that wasn't built mainly around fan service but actual well-written shows consistently almost across the entire board. 

Yes, I'm sick of it.

That said, Sturgeon's Law applies to anime the same as to everything else.

BTW, the part about "the majority of anime nowadays just caters to pervs" is also what they said about comic books in the 40s and 50, science fiction back in the 50s and 60s, and several other other genres and formats before they became mainstream, including the internet itself.  It might even be true.  But the second part of Sturgeon's Law says we should judge things by the better 10%.  I don't have time to watch it all anyway.  At least it makes it easy to decide what to watch and what to avoid.

• Like 1

Another question about Isekai occurs to me. I admit that this view is largely drawn from reading reviews and watching the odd YouTube clip rather than watching whole Isekai series, but why is it that just about every Isekai story is about someone who finds themselves transported to a time that resembles the medieval world of the English middle ages as popularised by the stories based on the Arthurian legends?

I don't recall hearing of an Isekai where someone is transported to a world several centuries in the future. But I suppose that goes back to my earlier point about originality in story writing, it's far easier to write a story set in a time where there is a lot of background detail already known than to create a whole new world.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Animedragon said:

Another question about Isekai occurs to me. I admit that this view is largely drawn from reading reviews and watching the odd YouTube clip rather than watching whole Isekai series, but why is it that just about every Isekai story is about someone who finds themselves transported to a time that resembles the medieval world of the English middle ages as popularised by the stories based on the Arthurian legends?

I think a lot about of it can be attributed to the literary predecessors of the “isekai” genre (Alice in Wonderland, The Wizard of Oz, The Lion, The Witch & The Wardrobe, A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur’s Court, etc. )

Also probably the most detailed fantasy world in literature would probably be Tolkein’s Middle Earth which largely inspired Dungeons & Dragon’s & RPGs in general).

Edited by Ohayotaku
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Animedragon said:

I don't recall hearing of an Isekai where someone is transported to a world several centuries in the future. But I suppose that goes back to my earlier point about originality in story writing, it's far easier to write a story set in a time where there is a lot of background detail already known than to create a whole new world.

Isekai about the future is called "science fiction".  SF has been doing alternate dimensions and time travel since before the genre was recognized as such.  Even "normal" science fiction is often isekai by another name.  Captain Kirk traveling in his spaceship to someplace not-earth or HG Wells time-tripping to a far future setting for their adventures is a classic SF trope.

• Agree 1

I'm sick of it. As you said, there are many amazing series that deserve that far more attention and were cut short. The amount of fan service in some animes is annoying, and while I don't mind a little fan service, it almost feels as if these series revolve around it in a way.

It seems like most newer series are becoming shorter and shorter, and there are some older anime that get unnecessary updates. Don't get me wrong, there are lots of amazing new series coming out. However, there are just as many bad ones. This may be a bit of an over exaggeration, but I'm a little concerned for the future of anime.

3 hours ago, KaiyaSaysHaiya said:

I'm sick of it. As you said, there are many amazing series that deserve that far more attention and were cut short. The amount of fan service in some animes is annoying, and while I don't mind a little fan service, it almost feels as if these series revolve around it in a way.

It seems like most newer series are becoming shorter and shorter, and there are some older anime that get unnecessary updates. Don't get me wrong, there are lots of amazing new series coming out. However, there are just as many bad ones. This may be a bit of an over exaggeration, but I'm a little concerned for the future of anime.

I agree with you about the length of recent anime series, since I took out my subscription to CR two months ago I've watched just over a dozen series most of which were made in the last couple of years and every one of them was only 12 or 13 episodes and several of those had stories which I thought would have been better told over 24 or 25 episodes.  Some, it must be said did get a second season, but not many.  Chihayafuru, the series I'm currently watching, is the first one with 25 episodes.

As to fan service, this has been a feature of many anime series for as long as I've been watching anime. In some respects I think there was more fan service in anime in the 80's and 90's when it seemed that almost every episode had either a shower scene, a locker room scene, a girl wandering around in her underwear or managing to loose various items of clothing for no immediately discernable reason.

• Agree 1

21 hours ago, Animedragon said:

I agree with you about the length of recent anime series, since I took out my subscription to CR two months ago I've watched just over a dozen series most of which were made in the last couple of years and every one of them was only 12 or 13 episodes and several of those had stories which I thought would have been better told over 24 or 25 episodes.  Some, it must be said did get a second season, but not many.  Chihayafuru, the series I'm currently watching, is the first one with 25 episodes.

As to fan service, this has been a feature of many anime series for as long as I've been watching anime. In some respects I think there was more fan service in anime in the 80's and 90's when it seemed that almost every episode had either a shower scene, a locker room scene, a girl wandering around in her underwear or managing to loose various items of clothing for no immediately discernable reason.

yeah, you're definitely right about the second paragraph. I was just struggling to put my thoughts into words lol

• Like 1

long time without entering here cof cof

Tbvh, isekai animes have been too much used as bait for pervs, which annoys me the most and that makes me drop any anime that has even "isekai" on the title. 

I end up choosing 3 or 4 animes per season to watch, but has been hard to filter that lately.