supernekofox

Anime has been around longer than most "trendy", semi, or hardcore fans would care to acknowledge. On the flip side, there are many rooted fans that refuse to explore anything new. Always go in with little to no preference or expectations when exploring Anime because you never know what you might be missing.

If you're into Old School Anime; What is a watch-worthy title and what newer title have you been curious about?

OR

If you're only into New School Anime;  What is a watch-worthy title and what older title have you been curious about?

spacer.png

I started watching anime in the mid 1990s and I'm still watching it now, which probably puts me in both the "old anime" and "new anime" groups.

When it comes to "old anime" I guess the question is how "old" does an anime have to be to qualify as "old"?
Macross and Bubblegum crisis are two series from the 1980s which are still very watchable today, then there's Clannad and Clannad After Story which are now 15 years old and still very watchable.
When it comes to "new anime" Akebi's Sailor Uniform and My Dress Up Darling are good series.

When I had to buy all my anime on DVD I tended to be cautious about what series I bought, after all DVDs are expensive! But since taking out a subscription to CR I've been able to try several series that I wouldn't have purchased and have discovered some excellent newish series like A Place Further Than the Universe, Laid Back Camp and Chihayafuru

I’ve been watching anime to some degree for approximately 40 years now. I got my start with Star Blazers (the Americanized version of Space  Battleship Yamato) on tv when I was a preteen, but didn’t really get into the unedited  stuff until the 1990s thanks to Suncoast video stores at the mall. And now that I have access to streaming services, I’m watching more anime from more diverse genres than ever. 
Some personal favorites across the years:

Star Blazers (while I personally still love the original first 2 seasons, I understand if a lot of people find it too dated. In which case I still strongly recommend watching the remakes 2199 & 2202)

Robotech (Macross)

Magic Knight Rayearth (but not the OVA version)

Cardcaptor Sakura (but not Clear Card)

Project A-ko (the original movie)

Slayers (haven’t seen seasons 4 & 5 yet, but plan to)

Rune Soldier

Azumanga Daioh

School Rumble

Princess Tutu

Cowboy Bebop

Trigun

R.O.D. (OVA & TV series)

Mushishi

Fate Zero

Buso Renkin

Beautiful Bones

Ushio & Tora  (2015 - 2016)

Death Note

Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood

My Hero Academia (seasons 4 & 5 were disappointing, but 6 has been great)

Fruits Basket (2019 - 2021)

A Place Further than the Universe

Yuru Camp

Vinland Saga

Golden Kamuy

Dororo

In recent years I have focused mostly on simulcasts, but am getting more motivated to watch older series I missed or didn’t get to finish (Monster, the original Inuyasha, Fate Stay/Night)

If you’re interested in a more detailed view of my anime resume, check my MAL profile

https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ohayotaku

I know I’m missing some older titles I forgot to add when I first joined, but I update frequently with what I’m currently watching.

Edited by Ohayotaku

3 hours ago, Ohayotaku said:

I’ve been watching anime to some degree for approximately 40 years now. I got my start with Star Blazers (the Americanized version of Space  Battleship Yamato) on tv when I was a preteen, but didn’t really get into the unedited  stuff until the 1990s thanks to Suncoast video stores at the mall. And now that I have access to streaming services, I’m watching more anime from more diverse genres than ever. 
Some personal favorites across the years:

Star Blazers (while I personally still love the original first 2 seasons, I understand if a lot of people find it too dated. In which case I still strongly recommend watching the remakes 2199 & 2202)

Robotech (Macross)

Magic Knight Rayearth (but not the OVA version)

Cardcaptor Sakura (but not Clear Card)

Project A-ko (the original movie)

Slayers (haven’t seen seasons 4 & 5 yet, but plan to)

Rune Soldier

Azumanga Daioh

School Rumble

Princess Tutu

Cowboy Bebop

Trigun

R.O.D. (OVA & TV series)

Mushishi

Fate Zero

Buso Renkin

Beautiful Bones

Ushio & Tora  (2015 - 2016)

Death Note

Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood

My Hero Academia (seasons 4 & 5 were disappointing, but 6 has been great)

Fruits Basket (2019 - 2021)

A Place Further than the Universe

Yuru Camp

Vinland Saga

Golden Kamuy

Dororo

In recent years I have focused mostly on simulcasts, but am getting more motivated to watch older series I missed or didn’t get to finish (Monster, the original Inuyasha, Fate Stay/Night)

If you’re interested in a more detailed view of my anime resume, check my MAL profile

https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ohayotaku

I know I’m missing some older titles I forgot to add when I first joined, but I update frequently with what I’m currently watching.

Great list! I love diverse anime fans. I've gotten into Macross in recent years. I really enjoy the plot of the original first season.  There are a few there I really want to check myself.

I don't think I ever had this problem. I mean I jumped decades between my first few shows from the remake of Star Blazers to the OG Mobile Suit Gundam and from Neon Genesis Evangelion to Toradora and so on. 

Even now I'm watched Dragon Ball, Galaxy Express and Ningen Fushin.

Asuka Neon Genesis Evangelion GIF - Asuka NeonGenesisEvangelion Cute ...

(I know I'm pretty awesome!)

I kind of just watch whatever regardless of the decade. 

80s anime gif 13 » GIF Images Download

But remember its okay to watch any anime you wanna watch. Unless its Cute Girls Doing Cute things then I have one thing to say to you...

78ibcl.gif

Its because of people like you that the anime industry keeps turning out casual trash!

Mecha Gifs Galore! | Gundam art, Gundam wallpapers, Mecha animefollow for follow berserk gif | WiffleGif

Embrace Mecha and Fighting Anime and stop... no delay the Cute Anime Girl Take Over!

My Dress Up Darling Sono Bisque Doll GIF - My Dress Up Darling Sono ...

The rest is up to you!

Edited by MarathonGuy1337
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome (Sugoi) 1

I am watching anime since 1992.

And i really want to be a guy that likes old and new anime. But to be very honest, when i now look at the shows i loved back then, the graphics are so poor, i cannot enjoy it anymore. Even if back in the day i loved that show. I guess i dont want to admit it, but i got spoiled with better and better drawing over time.

It is like normal fantasy to use an example. I loved the movie The never ending story when it came out in 1984. I think i watched it 7 times the next 5 years. But when i look at it now, i can almost see the strings at the stuffed flying animal

9 minutes ago, Bulleje76 said:

And i really want to be a guy that likes old and new anime. But to be very honest, when i now look at the shows i loved back then, the graphics are so poor, i cannot enjoy it anymore. Even if back in the day i loved that show. I guess i dont want to admit it, but i got spoiled with better and better drawing over time.

For me the “quality” of animation is just a piece of the whole. Trigun Stampede is a perfect example: visually impressive, but as far as everything else, I prefer the original. Likewise, the Star Blazers remakes definitely benefitted from a fresh coat of paint & better dub, but there are certain story points in the original I prefer, for example

the revelation that Sandor’s arms & legs were prosthetics, the result of a childhood accident

29 minutes ago, MarathonGuy1337 said:

Embrace Mecha and Fighting Anime and stop... no delay the Cute Anime Girl Take Over!

While I enjoy serious and at times dark or bleak anime, I also need something cute/funny or even silly/fanservicey to keep things in balance. Case in point, I’m currently watching Vinland Saga 2 & Monster, but also Tomo-chan is a Girl, Nagatoro season 2 & Campfire Cooking in Another World With My Absurd Skill.

• Awesome (Sugoi) 1
  • Love it! (Daisuki) 1

7 minutes ago, Ohayotaku said:

For me the “quality” of animation is just a piece of the whole. Trigun Stampede is a perfect example: visually impressive, but as far as everything else, I prefer the original. Likewise, the Star Blazers remakes definitely benefitted from a fresh coat of paint & better dub, but there are certain story points in the original I prefer, for example

Hide contents

the revelation that Sandor’s arms & legs were prosthetics, the result of a childhood accident

Yes i agree. For me also. That's why i just replied in a different thread that i think the fight between naruto and pain is the best ever. Not because the graphics (that counts for 1 point), but also the anticipation, the storyline, the sound track and the originality.

But most old school anime and even the newer ones, the visuals just don't do it for me. I know that is not elite but i am just being honest. If the visuals and coloring look like i could have drawn it in paint,...i dont know, i just cannot enjoy it as much. Maybe that will change again in a few years and my taste will change. 

But off course other aspects are important as well. Just beautiful visuals and nothing else is also a no go

• Like 1
  • Love it! (Daisuki) 1

My taste is pretty varied, I think it cause I've yet to watch a show as it comes out and is in season so I've often opted for a more what ever series peaks my attention. I would say my current time frame I watch within is 90s to well the present. Their a few exceptions to this rule, so I might go into a few of these rule breakers. As for why I seem to watch shows from the 90s to now, I think its down to localisation became more common for shows moving from the 90s to the early 2000s to now where every show gets rapidly localised either subbed or dubbed. So at least that's why I think a lot of the anime I watch tend to come from that large time period but rarely beyond that.

So for shows I think are worth while and show a little of my broader taste beyond 'anything after 99 is trash' or 'if its from last year it already in the void and forgotten' I'll give a couple shows from across the anime. 

Is Fate/Stay Night 2006 terrible? | Anime Amino

So I'll kick this list of with Fate Stay Night from 2006, I'm a big Fate fan so I naturally was bound to head on back to 2006 and watch the first route's anime adaptation. The new ones do look better - obviously, but Stay Night dose had a pretty awesome story in its own right and Saber best girl. 

Psycho - Pass gifs | Anime Amino

Psycho Pass, a criminally underrated show from 2012. It was also one of the first shows I watched when I was getting in anime back in 2020. It also styled me for a time as a Urobuchi fan cause I watched Fate/Zero, Psycho Pass and Madoka Magica all shows written by him in that rough period. 

Wolfs Rain Kiba GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

Wolfs Rain from 2004, is one of the first shows I saw and sort of recognised it was from an 'era' of anime - the adult swim early 2000s - I happened to like shows from that time period Full Metal Alachmist and Ergo Proxy I decided it likely be up my street and so gave it a shot. Thoroughly enjoyed the show. 

the JUMP-GATE | War in the Pocket

Okay so War in the Pocket from 1989, was one of the first Gundam works I watched... after Origin I think. It was a short, well executed OVA series and was also very well animated looking better than a lot of more modern shows.

Chimera ant arc - best shonen anime arc? | Anime Amino

Hunter x Hunter from 2011 was the second big Shonen I watched after Full Metal Alchemist and would recommend to any shouen fan whose not seen it yet, it got perhaps the best power system of any of them and the Chimera Ant Arc is top notch stuff.  

Evangelion Anime GIF - Evangelion Anime Headbang - Discover & Share GIFs

Evangelion from the 90s, this is defiantly on the darker side. I've seen most the rebuilds but for me the series peaked with End of Evangelion and I'm defiantly happy with that movies conclusion. 

Spy X Family Loid Forger GIF - Spy X Family Loid Forger The Twilight ...

Spy x Family is defiantly one of the newer shows I've seen, it mixed the wholesome aspects of most Slice of Life but also maintained the speedy and more focused plot of shoune which I really liked. 

Second Impressions - Claymore | Anime Amino

Claymore is the show I'm currently watching from 2007 and it literally Berserk with more Waifu's. Seriously when you get to the point from the gif above, ready yourself for an Eclipse level event. 

4 hours ago, MediaConsumesMe said:

Hunter x Hunter from 2011 was the second big Shonen I watched after Full Metal Alchemist and would recommend to any shouen fan whose not seen it yet, it got perhaps the best power system of any of them and the Chimera Ant Arc is top notch stuff.  

Spy x Family is defiantly one of the newer shows I've seen, it mixed the wholesome aspects of most Slice of Life but also maintained the speedy and more focused plot of shoune which I really liked. 

I LOVE hunter x hunter. Watched it 3 times

Spy x Family was awesome the first season. But now t is disappointing me

1 hour ago, Bulleje76 said:

I LOVE hunter x hunter. Watched it 3 times

Spy x Family was awesome the first season. But now t is disappointing me

I've not watch the second series, so I'm only judging on season 1. I likely will continue it, but I'm gonna try and get through Yu Yu Hakusho and 91 Days first. 

7 minutes ago, MediaConsumesMe said:

I've not watch the second series, so I'm only judging on season 1. I likely will continue it, but I'm gonna try and get through Yu Yu Hakusho and 91 Days first. 

Well be prepared for season 2 haha. it is still okay. But season 1 was fast paced, quirky, original and booming with suspense since you wanted to know when they know of each others power. Season 2 is slow paced, unoriginal and episodes regarding weird items

but thats just my 2 cents

On 2/18/2023 at 12:33 AM, Clayton said:

Deadpool Samurai

Do you have a link for this one please? it is not on imdb