Your favorite inventor

Clayton

So who is your favorite inventor? 

Tesla, the man who invented death rays?

Franklin who made... damn near everything?

Edison who took care of the rest? 

Alexander Bell who invented dirty phone calls "Watson, i need you!" 

Personally I like Mary the Jewess, one of if not the first alchemist who came up with things we still use today. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_the_Jewess

I think that Chester Carlson, someone who most people have never heard of, is an unsung hero of the modern world,

Why do I say that?

Because he created what we now call the xerographic process which led to the development of the photocopier and laser printer* and which office doesn't have one, or more, of those?

* Modern photocopiers are in fact laser printers because lasers replaced the traditional light/lens optical photocopiers years ago.

Nikola Tesla is my favorite inventor. His ideal of free electricity for all just makes me really like him above all the rest. It's been said that Edison stole some inventions of Tesla's. Either the ideas or the patents, but Tesla thought of them first.

• Like 1

On 2/23/2023 at 12:29 PM, Otaku Gamer said:

Nikola Tesla is my favorite inventor. His ideal of free electricity for all just makes me really like him above all the rest. It's been said that Edison stole some inventions of Tesla's. Either the ideas or the patents, but Tesla thought of them first.

To be fair they stole Edison's ideas too. You know originally the radio was meant to contact the dead. 

Tesla was awesome. He invented an actual death ray. I just wonder what tech would look like if he never came up with AC/DC 

48 minutes ago, Clayton said:

To be fair they stole Edison's ideas too. You know originally the radio was meant to contact the dead. 

Tesla was awesome. He invented an actual death ray. I just wonder what tech would look like if he never came up with AC/DC 

I wasn't aware of that, ironically enough as much of a fan of Tesla I am. Seems like ideas were stolen a lot back then when America was just coming together as a whole.

22 minutes ago, Otaku Gamer said:

I wasn't aware of that, ironically enough as much of a fan of Tesla I am. Seems like ideas were stolen a lot back then when America was just coming together as a whole.

Also I'm pretty sure the patent office had yet to be invented. 

Hedy Lamar, the actress, came up with frequency hopping used in cellular phones. 

Ben Franklin invented libraries among other things. 

Da Vinci... 

Tesla’s inventions included:

• AC Power (alternating current)
  • Tesla Coil
  • Magnifying Transmitter
  • Tesla Turbine
  • Shadowgraph
  • Radio
  • Neon Lamp
  • Hydroelectric Power
  • Induction Motor
  • Radio Controlled Boat
Edited by Clayton

2 minutes ago, Clayton said:

Also I'm pretty sure the patent office had yet to be invented. 

Hedy Lamar, the actress, came up with frequency hopping used in cellular phones. 

Tesla’s inventions included:

• AC Power (alternating current)
  • Tesla Coil
  • Magnifying Transmitter
  • Tesla Turbine
  • Shadowgraph
  • Radio
  • Neon Lamp
  • Hydroelectric Power
  • Induction Motor
  • Radio Controlled Boat

That explains a lot of the idea stealing. It must've just been a fact of life back then.

15 minutes ago, Clayton said:

Well it's not like its stopped. People steal ideas all the time. Corporate espionage. 

https://theoatmeal.com/comics/tesla

Otherwise we wouldn't need the patent office. 

business-commerce-entrepreneurial-entrep

art-personal_data-data_thief-data_theft-

That's kind of sad that it's still going on. I honestly thought most people were better than that these days.