Irc channel an idea

Bulletje76

Question

I know, IRC is sooooo 2005. But still its a very usable medium for forums and groups. Perhaps an idea to start an IRC channel for this forum? The extra value compared to this forum is that it is easier for chit chat and even more so, for quick anime questions. Also possible to have some fun with an irc bot with anime triviant questions

• Cool (Kakkoii) 2

13 answers to this question

13 hours ago, Animedragon said:

I'm not sure about this idea. If I was running any sot of web forum I don't think I'd be too keen on adding a feature that could draw traffic away from my forum.

it is not drawing away, it is adding. It's just another communication medium. 

36 minutes ago, Animedragon said:

Good point. I think a lot would depend on how the irc channel was added.

My experience is, the more livelier a group is, the more the forum will florish. I have seen it so many times on different boards and forums. And an irc channel adds to that. People get to know each other better, can ask questions quicker. And like i said; there are cool anime bots for irc. And for the people that like to stick to just forum threads; to each his or her own

• Like 1

There was another forum I used to go to that actually had a chatroom on the forum. You think that could be possible on this one? I'm not familiar with how running message boards works so idk if it's even possible, but a built-in chat of some sort might actually work too.

On 2/25/2023 at 12:45 PM, Bulleje76 said:

IRC is sooooo 2005

Older than that.  It has been around longer than the WWW itself.  I saw a draft version of RFC-1459* back in the late 80s and I was using it at work when I started there in '88.  I got a lot of help from people on undernet when I was trying to get a BSD kernel running on my Amiga 3000 after the "chickenlips" company ( chickenlips_logo.png.daa69ae746fa7fb2654ab3ab5a779e88.png ) went bankrupt.  That was in the early/mid 90s.  By the mid "noughties" it had passed its peak but even now has quite a few users.  I don't have any time to just hang out in chat anymore but I still check in to some of the old groups now and then.

*We thought about things before we did them back then.

5 minutes ago, efaardvark said:

Older than that.  It has been around longer than the WWW itself.  I saw a draft version of RFC-1459* back in the late 80s and I was using it at work when I started there in '88.  I got a lot of help from people on undernet when I was trying to get a BSD kernel running on my Amiga 3000 after the "chickenlips" company ( chickenlips_logo.png.daa69ae746fa7fb2654ab3ab5a779e88.png ) went bankrupt.  That was in the early/mid 90s.  By the mid "noughties" it had passed its peak but even now has quite a few users.  I don't have any time to just hang out in chat anymore but I still check in to some of the old groups now and then.

*We thought about things before we did them back then.

Interesting , thanks.

I am surprised its peak was mid 90s. I remember in the 2000s it was used a lot. By ftp sites, forums, fxp boards, irc dll groups etc etc. I visit it now and than and even now still has a lot of crowded channels. 

FWIW there used to be a discord AF channel.  Probably long gone by now.  Like I said I don't get a chance to just hang out in chat anymore.  It always gets pushed to the back and forgotten about, if I even remember to log in.

AF did actually have a chatroom a long time ago and it did have some activity but I do believe it was removed because it was taking away from the actual activity of people posting on the forum and moderating a live chat would have been difficult for the mods of the time. 

And yes AF did have an "officially" supported Discord for a while which did have an active community but once again it took away from the activity of the forum so it became unsupported but was still allowed to run as an unofficial AF discord server but after pressure from an ex-staff member, it had to be completely detached from AF altogether and it died of that way. 

Ran a few forums back in the late 90s/00s and adding the chat usually killed the forum activity after awhile. Only seen it work on the forums where we had a good amount of people on usually in hundreds or where we were using it for early fansub distros. The irc was more of a distro tool for the main forum and allowed some chatting also. Even then it did reduce users as forums were going out of style when sites like digg and reddit came along. For better or worse. There's nothing stopping anyone from making a discord nowdays but it will eventually kill traffic as it's more interactive in real time compared to a forum.

When you start getting users in the 1000s active it make more sense as you can use the forum for more in-depth answers and use the chat for more general discussions.  But you also need staff to manage all that too and with a smaller forum like this it doesn't make sense I feel.

Edited by Key Visual
  • Like 2