Alcohol: Like It or Dislike It?

Wild Emotion

So, regarding alcoholic drinks, who likes them and who doesn't like them? I don't like the types of drinks where there isn't much flavor with the alcohol. Just not any hard alcoholic drinks. I still make that "first time drinker" face with drinks like vodka. So, I dislike it. I could never get used to the taste, and, personally, I don't think I ever will. lol

How about you all? Do you like alcoholic drinks, or do you hate the taste, like me?

I enjoy a wide range of alcoholic beverages on occasion. My particular poison of choice is bourbon whiskey and my favorite cocktail is the Old-Fashioned, but I also love to drink a good Islay Scotch whisky (yes, omit the "e" if it comes from Scotland). Recently, I've gained a newfound appreciation for tequila and mezcal. I'm also trying gin a little, but I'm not overly crazy about it, yet. Kinda tastes like I'm drinking a christmas tree. 😅 I also enjoy drinking mead and red wine on occasion, but I don't partake of these all that often.

So, I guess to answer your question, I like them. In moderation, of course.

• Cool (Kakkoii) 1

1 hour ago, Ohayotaku said:

I never touch the stuff. All my embarrassing behavior comes naturally :P 

'ey, nothing wrong with that, man. ^^

57 minutes ago, viruxx said:

I enjoy a wide range of alcoholic beverages on occasion. My particular poison of choice is bourbon whiskey and my favorite cocktail is the Old-Fashioned, but I also love to drink a good Islay Scotch whisky (yes, omit the "e" if it comes from Scotland). Recently, I've gained a newfound appreciation for tequila and mezcal. I'm also trying gin a little, but I'm not overly crazy about it, yet. Kinda tastes like I'm drinking a christmas tree. 😅 I also enjoy drinking mead and red wine on occasion, but I don't partake of these all that often.

So, I guess to answer your question, I like them. In moderation, of course.

It's awesome that you only drink in moderation. It seems like too many people just kind of abuse the rule and want to get drunk a lot, despite the motto to drink responsibly. After I had my first hangover I said "never again". It was vodka. I still made the first time drinker face with each sip, but I wanted a buzz... I unfortunately drank it too quick, which as you probably already know, led to vomiting. That, of course, didn't stop the hangover in the morning. I'm never getting drunk again, those hangovers are nightmare material. So, I basically wrote off any alcohol (except champagne for New Years and a toast of wine on Christmas with the folks). Wine is easier to drink though, if I'm being honest, but that hangover experience is burned into my memory so I do my utmost to avoid it now. 1 glass of wine is ok, but getting drunk is so not worth it. So, it makes me happy to read that you drink responsibly. I feel like more people need to that just drink to get drunk. Like... why would anyone do that more than once? But responsibly is a different matter entirely. Though drinking a Christmas tree sounds really horrible. lol

• Like 1

I don't mind alcohol, but I also don't go out of my way to drink it. If I go out to a restaurant or bar I'll get some fruity drink just to try it lol. If I buy something from a store it's either beer or whiskey, I like Rolling Rock alot. I haven't tried my hand at mixing drinks and I don't really have any interest in doing it either. In short I drink in moderation for the most part ^__^

Edited by Admiral_Fall
  • Like 1
  • Cool (Kakkoii) 1

6 hours ago, Admiral_Fall said:

I don't mind alcohol, but I also don't go out of my way to drink it. If I go out to a restaurant or bar I'll get some fruity drink just to try it lol. If I buy something from a store it's either beer or whiskey, I like Rolling Rock alot. I haven't tried my hand at mixing drinks and I don't really have any interest in doing it either. In short I drink in moderation for the most part ^__^

Nice. Basically the same here, except I still haven't acquired a taste for the stuff. lol I laugh every time I make "that face" after a drink or sip, but it's just too funny.

• Funny 1

12 hours ago, Android Rebel said:

It's awesome that you only drink in moderation. It seems like too many people just kind of abuse the rule and want to get drunk a lot, despite the motto to drink responsibly. After I had my first hangover I said "never again". It was vodka. I still made the first time drinker face with each sip, but I wanted a buzz... I unfortunately drank it too quick, which as you probably already know, led to vomiting. That, of course, didn't stop the hangover in the morning. I'm never getting drunk again, those hangovers are nightmare material. So, I basically wrote off any alcohol (except champagne for New Years and a toast of wine on Christmas with the folks). Wine is easier to drink though, if I'm being honest, but that hangover experience is burned into my memory so I do my utmost to avoid it now. 1 glass of wine is ok, but getting drunk is so not worth it. So, it makes me happy to read that you drink responsibly. I feel like more people need to that just drink to get drunk. Like... why would anyone do that more than once? But responsibly is a different matter entirely. Though drinking a Christmas tree sounds really horrible. lol

I had to learn the hard way what my limits with alcohol were. I got blackout drunk once, and it was on high-gravity beers (an ABV range of 6 - 10%, really heavy beers). That following morning was.... not fun. 🤮 Word of advice, don't down a six-pack of beers all above 6% ABV back-to-back. Your liver, stomach and head will thank you for it the next day. 🤣 I got pretty drunk another time later on whiskey, but that time wasn't anywhere near as bad as what the beer had done to me before, but still bad enough. I guess the difference in the volume of liquid consumed played a huge part in that. You have to drink several pints of beer to feel the same effect of only several ounces of liquor..... and feel like you want to curl up in a corner and go to sleep after two of them to boot because your belly's full. But, yeah, I learned that I don't like being drunk to the point I lose all control. Just get me to a nice buzz, where I'm mostly still coherent, and I'm right as rain! 😁

I do tend to leave alcohol alone if I'm upset/in a bad mood, stressed out, sad or something like that. If I'm ever in that sort of situation, that's where pipes or cigars come in for me. It's like counting to ten, only it forces me to slow down and count to 1,000. I don't feel like it's a good idea to alter my mind-state when I'm in a negative place.

8 hours ago, Admiral_Fall said:

I haven't tried my hand at mixing drinks and I don't really have any interest in doing it either. In short I drink in moderation for the most part ^__^

I only recently developed an interest in mixing drinks at home, maybe within the last year or so. It's kinda fun to experiment with sometimes. But, for the most part, I generally prefer drinking most of my liquor neat, or just a simple cocktail like the Old Fashioned. I'm kinda getting a taste for margaritas now as well, what with the tequila and all.

Edited by viruxx
  • Like 1
  • Cool (Kakkoii) 1

Both my parents were non-drinkers, as were my aunt and uncle so drinking and visiting the pub were just not part of my life.  Personally I can't stand the smell of beer. When CB radio was all the rage the local CB club met in a pub and when I went I only drank Coke or Pepsi.

At Christmas time I was the most popular person in the office, because someone had to stay and hold the fort so I was always that person and everyone else was glad one of them didn't have to miss the drinking session. The deal was that I held the fort until they came back from the pub at around 2:30pm, then I went home early. Win-Win.

• Like 2
  • Cool (Kakkoii) 1

8 hours ago, viruxx said:

I had to learn the hard way what my limits with alcohol were. I got blackout drunk once, and it was on high-gravity beers (an ABV range of 6 - 10%, really heavy beers). That following morning was.... not fun. 🤮 Word of advice, don't down a six-pack of beers all above 6% ABV back-to-back. Your liver, stomach and head will thank you for it the next day. 🤣 I got pretty drunk another time later on whiskey, but that time wasn't anywhere near as bad as what the beer had done to me before, but still bad enough. I guess the difference in the volume of liquid consumed played a huge part in that. You have to drink several pints of beer to feel the same effect of only several ounces of liquor..... and feel like you want to curl up in a corner and go to sleep after two of them to boot because your belly's full. But, yeah, I learned that I don't like being drunk to the point I lose all control. Just get me to a nice buzz, where I'm mostly still coherent, and I'm right as rain! 😁

I do tend to leave alcohol alone if I'm upset/in a bad mood, stressed out, sad or something like that. If I'm ever in that sort of situation, that's where pipes or cigars come in for me. It's like counting to ten, only it forces me to slow down and count to 1,000. I don't feel like it's a good idea to alter my mind-state when I'm in a negative place. 

Ouch, man. That sounds pretty harsh. I can only imagine how you felt in the morning. Yikes! At least it was a learning experience though, and you learned your limits afterwords. It's just when people more or less ignore the hangover and get blackout drunk all over again, day in, day out, that I don't really understand. They must really want to forget almost everything all the time. A light buzz though is fun, and I always try to get one on the champagne on New Years. lol And on wine we sometimes have on special occasions, but once my judgement starts becoming to where I'm reaching out, thinking I'm grabbing the chair when in actuality I'm not even close enough to be able to grab it is when I cut myself off though. That's like, the perfect level of buzz for me. What's your preferred buzz level?

4 hours ago, Animedragon said:

Both my parents were non-drinkers, as were my aunt and uncle so drinking and visiting the pub were just not part of my life.  Personally I can't stand the smell of beer. When CB radio was all the rage the local CB club met in a pub and when I went I only drank Coke or Pepsi.

At Christmas time I was the most popular person in the office, because someone had to stay and hold the fort so I was always that person and everyone else was glad one of them didn't have to miss the drinking session. The deal was that I held the fort until they came back from the pub at around 2:30pm, then I went home early. Win-Win.

Yeah, having a designated driver is always a good idea, so I'm glad they could look to you for that role. Nothing wrong with it and, like you said, it's a total win-win. Were you ever tempted to drink along though?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Android Rebel said:

Ouch, man. That sounds pretty harsh. I can only imagine how you felt in the morning. Yikes! At least it was a learning experience though, and you learned your limits afterwords. It's just when people more or less ignore the hangover and get blackout drunk all over again, day in, day out, that I don't really understand. They must really want to forget almost everything all the time. A light buzz though is fun, and I always try to get one on the champagne on New Years. lol And on wine we sometimes have on special occasions, but once my judgement starts becoming to where I'm reaching out, thinking I'm grabbing the chair when in actuality I'm not even close enough to be able to grab it is when I cut myself off though. That's like, the perfect level of buzz for me. What's your preferred buzz level?

As Animedragon said in their post, my parents were not drinkers either (although, my dad drank his fair share of alcohol when he was younger, but quit after he and mom got married), and I grew up being highly discouraged from drinking and smoking. Guess that's one of the reasons why it was a bit of a trial and error experience for me in the beginning. I had a friend in college that gave me a little advice on it, and told me to just pace myself and not shotgun it. Of course, that was with beer, at 5% ABV. Liquor at 40% ABV minimum was an entirely different ball game.

I'm inclined to agree with you about the folks who treat alcohol as a water replacement and get drunk every night/weekend. Then again, who knows what realities they are trying to run away from or how bad of an addictive personality they have?

I like the buzz I get from maybe three or four servings of bourbon, especially if it's a higher proof (90+). These days, I don't typically drink that much, unless I'm out with my friends at a bar on those once-every-couple-of-months occasions, and assuming I'm not the one that's driving. Sounds like you have quite the blast on New Year's.

• Agree 1

31 minutes ago, viruxx said:

As Animedragon said in their post, my parents were not drinkers either (although, my dad drank his fair share of alcohol when he was younger, but quit after he and mom got married), and I grew up being highly discouraged from drinking and smoking. Guess that's one of the reasons why it was a bit of a trial and error experience for me in the beginning. I had a friend in college that gave me a little advice on it, and told me to just pace myself and not shotgun it. Of course, that was with beer, at 5% ABV. Liquor at 40% ABV minimum was an entirely different ball game.

I'm inclined to agree with you about the folks who treat alcohol as a water replacement and get drunk every night/weekend. Then again, who knows what realities they are trying to run away from or how bad of an addictive personality they have?

I like the buzz I get from maybe three or four servings of bourbon, especially if it's a higher proof (90+). These days, I don't typically drink that much, unless I'm out with my friends at a bar on those once-every-couple-of-months occasions, and assuming I'm not the one that's driving. Sounds like you have quite the blast on New Year's.

Mom's the one I defer to for advice in pretty much everything. There's very little she doesn't know about me. I tell her everything. I also count on her for memory since mine is basically shot. lol Hopefully some mental exercises of some sort will improve it though... one can hope anyway. Pacing oneself is definitely something I've never really learned to do though. I'm just not patient enough. I probably got that from the years of seeing how impatient dad is. Some behavior is learned, after all.

Yeah, I guess there's not really a way to determine what they're trying to escape. Now I feel pretty bad for being so judgemental. ><

I've only been to a bar as a kid where mom would get me the Shirley Temple since I was obviously too little to drink back then. I was never tempted though, I was just happy with my cherry Coke. ^^ They'd always put an actual cherry in it too, right on top. I loved that. There's very little that I don't like, so I'm pretty easy to please. lol As an adult, I don't think Id frequent a bar. For someone like me, the potential is a slippery slope if I get hooked on drinking... it wouldn't be good for me or anyone else if I just got blackout drunk all the time, for many, many reasons. But I'd love to hang out with friends at a bar. Just cut myself off when I get that buzz level though because the memory of that one vodka hangover is seared into my brain, and I'm not in any rush to repeat that mistake. Bars were always fun, even when I was just a kid with my Cherry Coke. Looking around at all the people, hearing the random hearty laugh. I've got some good memories of bars. I've always been what they call a "momma's boy" but, personally, I don't see anything wrong with it. ^^

Oh yeah, we have a lot of fun on New Years. We get goofy, too, with some LED glasses. lol Those that blink. I can't wear them for too long though since I have a seizure disorder, plus bright lights hurt my eyes. I think that's just the autism though, but I could be wrong. Speech therapy when I was little paid off though, because luckily I don't talk like my biological father did. Oh my God, it's such an embarrassing story I avoid telling it whenever possible. Let's just say he couldn't pronounce his "r"s...

I'm the only member of my family that doesn't drink. I mean I tasted been and kalua and other booze before I was 2, never liked any of it. The rest of my family will drink anything. Vodka. Whiskey. They'd drink gasoline, but it's too expensive. Frankly I might switch to beer if milk goes up any more. I just lost an uncle who used to start the day with a Black Russian. 

On the other hand my mom was an alcoholic and my dad was a bartender twice her age, so without booze, I wouldn't exist. (I suspect tequila was involved) 

Overall I think used appropriately it's okay, but overall sine water doesn't kill you instantly these days we might want to find more viable options. 

Edited by Clayton

1 hour ago, Clayton said:

I'm the only member of my family that doesn't drink. I mean I tasted been and kalua and other booze before I was 2, never liked any of it. The rest of my family will drink anything. Vodka. Whiskey. They'd drink gasoline, but it's too expensive. Frankly I might switch to beer if milk goes up any more. I just lost an uncle who used to start the day with a Black Russian. 

On the other hand my mom was an alcoholic and my dad was a bartender twice her age, so without booze, I wouldn't exist. (I suspect tequila was involved) 

Overall I think used appropriately it's okay, but overall sine water doesn't kill you instantly these days we might want to find more viable options. 

I figured basically all adults liked it, so I feel like less of an anomaly now. lol Although I didn't realize beer is cheaper than milk right now. That seems odd to me.

9 hours ago, Android Rebel said:

I figured basically all adults liked it, so I feel like less of an anomaly now. lol

Yes, most adults seem to like it, and most also believe they can't have a good time at a party without lots of alcohol being served, which is something that's always puzzled me. Personally I've been to quite lot of parties where nothing stronger than tea and coffee were served and everyone has had a good time. (with the added benefits of not having a hangover next morning or risk of being arrested for drink driving on the way home)

9 hours ago, Android Rebel said:

Although I didn't realize beer is cheaper than milk right now. That seems odd to me.

Milk is still cheaper than beer here in the UK. A pint of beer will cost you about £3.50 but I can buy four pints of milk for £1.60

6 hours ago, Animedragon said:

Yes, most adults seem to like it, and most also believe they can't have a good time at a party without lots of alcohol being served, which is something that's always puzzled me. Personally I've been to quite lot of parties where nothing stronger than tea and coffee were served and everyone has had a good time. (with the added benefits of not having a hangover next morning or risk of being arrested for drink driving on the way home)

Milk is still cheaper than beer here in the UK. A pint of beer will cost you about £3.50 but I can buy four pints of milk for £1.60

Yeah, I never got that either. It seems like a party should just be enjoyed regardless of if there's alcohol or not. The spirit of it, y'know?

That milk is cheaper than beer there is a good sign. I never expected it to be cheaper than milk anywhere though. Just doesn't make sense.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, MediaConsumesMe said:

I've not been drinking for very long, I've only just really been exploring it from the end of last year. Currently my preference as been spirts. 

Gilgamesh Chilling GIF - Gilgamesh Chilling PourWine - Discover & Share ...

Only the finest of beverages will suffice. 

Interesting. Do you nurse your drinks or do you aim to get a buzz whenever you can?

8 hours ago, MediaConsumesMe said:

I've not been drinking for very long, I've only just really been exploring it from the end of last year. Currently my preference as been spirts. 

Gilgamesh Chilling GIF - Gilgamesh Chilling PourWine - Discover & Share ...

Only the finest of beverages will suffice. 

Out of curiosity, what are your spirits of choice? I'm mostly a whisk(e)y kinda guy myself, with a little tequila and mezcal for good measure. 🥃

5 hours ago, Android Rebel said:

Do you have support groups where you live so you can quit like you want?

yeah we have. But they do not work for me unfortunately. So i read some books and studies and try to do it on will power an little tricks

• Cool (Kakkoii) 1

11 hours ago, Bulleje76 said:

yeah we have. But they do not work for me unfortunately. So i read some books and studies and try to do it on will power an little tricks

In the end, it is willpower that ultimately makes or breaks it for you. Just be strong, stay strong, and don't fall off the wagon (so to speak) and you'll be ok. ^^